Rank Order List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schumacw

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am an IMG running for a residency in general surgery. By now I have had some invitations to interviews, but not as many as I would like to feel a bit more secure. Does anyone know if the rank order list only has to include the programs you interviewed at, or could I in fact put down any and with a bit of luck match to a program that didn't offer me an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

If a program does not invite you for an interview, it means that it is not interested in you as an applicant. Thus you will not be ranked by the program. It is by extension impossible for you to match there.

It is best to make the most of your interviews at the programs that do invite you.

Good luck.

you have to pay for each program that you rank? Will the expenses never end? Does anyone know how much it is?
Thanks!

Originally posted by AnnK73
you have to pay for each program that you rank? Will the expenses never end? Does anyone know how much it is?
Thanks!

Not as bad as ERAS.

For $40, I think you get 15 and then you pay per program beyond 15. Go to www.aamc.org then click on NRMP/Match and get the specifics.

mike

Oh my yes, there are fees. You pay to enroll in the NRMP and then you pay ERAS for submitting your applications. The following is from the ERAS site for this year's fees (ie, does not include NRMP fees, fees your school might set, etc.)...

Number of Programs Per Specialty
AAMC Fees

Up to 10
$60

11-20
$8 each

21-30
$15 each

31 or more
$25 each

Actually Kimberli those are the fees for ERAS for applying to programs, the match fees for NRMP are as follows:

In addition to the $90 for registering with NRMP,
when ranking programs:
1-15 = no charge
ea. additional program over 15 = $30 per program

one can also rank a supplemental list, I think that maybe for transitional or prelim programs if one is applying for a pgy-2 position such as rads or anesthesia. That is also the same, the first 15 are no charge, and each additional supplemental program is $30 per program.

Well good luck to all!

P.S.
If you haven't registered for the match, you may have to pay a late fee, I am not sure when that deadline is or if it has passed.

Oh by the way the deadline for registering for NRMP was Dec. 2nd, after that there is a $50 late registration fee.

"An applicant can be tentatively matched to a program in this process if the program also ranks the applicant on its Rank Order List,...."
This is a quote from the NRMP Match Algorithm Page (link)
If it wasn't like this then theoretically there would be no unfilled spots because then many applicants would simply list all the programs in the country (and spend some serious bread) and get filled into a program that would have been unfilled.
So there is no loophole like that...

Originally posted by AnnK73
Thanks!

No doubt about it, med school has been nickle & diming me to death! From the very outset...med school applications! Those secondary applications are a SCAM and should be outlawed. Freakin Boston Univ sent me a standard index card with blanks for my name, address, e-mail, phone, degree and degree date -- ALL of which they ALREADY HAD -- and wanted me to pay an ADDITIONAL $100 or so!! That is outrageous!!!!!

Of course, all of this cash is minor when compared to tuition, books and our eventual baord exam fees. For anesth, they have raised oour board exam fees to $2300! Whew!!! I'll have to start saving my pennies NOW!

Oh well, one day, maybe, the hemorrhaging will stop -- all bleeding stops eventually! LOL!

...........stepping off of my soapbox now.........

:cool: :D +pissed+ :D :cool:

There is a reason for the high board exam fee - the examiners have to write the questions in Hawaii (Radiology) and that's not cheap!

Originally posted by OldManDave
Those secondary applications are a SCAM and should be outlawed. Freakin Boston Univ sent me a standard index card with blanks for my name, address, e-mail, phone, degree and degree date -- ALL of which they ALREADY HAD -- and wanted me to pay an ADDITIONAL $100 or so!! That is outrageous!!!!!

Hmm...BU has only gone up $10 in 10 years...a veritable "deal"!

I know - the $ is the killer...I (as an added pain, from being an FMG) have the 'bonus' of paying twice as much for the Steps, and $1200 for the CSA.

Nickel and dime is being nice. It's true - don't become a doctor, start or buy the group. Likewise, run the hospital - don't work in it.