Rank the following specialties in highest income ceiling in non academic medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Simba699

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Neurosurgery, Orthopedic surgery, Interventional Cardiology, Vascular surgery, CT surgery

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not just answer the question smh

Because I only do one of those things and I don’t really know what private practice people make in the others. SMH. And we get similar questions frequently from people who don’t otherwise contribute to the forum and it’s fun to roll our eyes at basic bi*tches. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 10 users
Because I only do one of those things and I don’t really know what private practice people make in the others. SMH. And we get similar questions frequently from people who don’t otherwise contribute to the forum and it’s fun to roll our eyes at basic bi*tches. :rolleyes:

I worry about what you do for leisure if rolling your eyes at “basic b*itches” on SDN is your definition of fun

Reactions: 1 user
Neurosurgery, Orthopedic surgery, Interventional Cardiology, Vascular surgery, CT surgery

sdnbruh

Reactions: 6 users
I worry about what you do for leisure if rolling your eyes at “basic b*itches” on SDN is your definition of fun

Yeah when i go around begging for help with a dumb question i make sure to insult those im begging

Reactions: 9 users
Yeah when i go around begging for help with a dumb question i make sure to insult those im begging

Asking a question on an online forum is equivalent to begging?

Members don't see this ad :)
Asking a question that implies you are only looking to train in whichever residency will offer you a path to the most money is the issue, but you knew that.
Is there inherently something wrong with that?

Those that go into specialties just chasing money rather than doing something they really enjoy tend to be those that are unhappy. They will burn out sooner. They may have such a poor work ethic they could be kicked out of their training program. You have to find something you enjoy, not chase the dollar.

Reactions: 4 users
Those that go into specialties just chasing money rather than doing something they really enjoy tend to be those that are unhappy. They will burn out sooner. They may have such a poor work ethic they could be kicked out of their training program. You have to find something you enjoy, not chase the dollar.
Chasing money in medicine is like trying to fall down. You don't have to try. The money will show up.

It is inherently foolish, as it rests on the idea that what pays today will pay tomorrow. Reimbursement models change every fifteen to twenty years, and today's winners could be tomorrow's losers. There's also a very good chance you won't be competitive for any of the listed specialties.

Reactions: 2 users
Neurosurgery makes the most green, but Interventional Cardiology lands the most ladies. You can't have both.

Neurosurgery makes the most green, but Interventional Cardiology lands the most ladies. You can't have both.

Interesting. Does cardiology have a sexier public perception?

You guys are so savage.

Random troll shows up to the village gates asking for free welfare checks and BOOM - homeboy got checked. I love you guys. Thank you for this. 10/10 would read again. Cheers.

Reactions: 7 users
OP, if you're still around your answer is this:

Neurosurgery
Ortho
Interventional Cards
Vascular
Cardiothoracic

This is based on MGMA 90th percentile earnings. Good on you for keeping your eyes on the prize. Just because we're slaving away to become doctors doesn't mean we have less of a right than everyone else out there to want to live good lives and chase the almighty dollar. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.:greedy:

OP, if you're still around your answer is this:

Neurosurgery
Ortho
Interventional Cards
Vascular
Cardiothoracic

This is based on MGMA 90th percentile earnings. Good on you for keeping your eyes on the prize. Just because we're slaving away to become doctors doesn't mean we have less of a right than everyone else out there to want to live good lives and chase the almighty dollar. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.:greedy:

Now does someone want to rank those specialties in terms of lifestyle? :corny::corny:

If somebody does that, can we consider General Thoracic separate from CT

Also of note, Mohs 90th percentile from 2017 MGMA is higher than all of the aforementioned specialties... by a pretty wide margin. Not sure what sort of lifestyle a 90th percentile mohs surgeon is putting down, but I'd wager it's a few clicks better than all of the above. Probably a hell of a lot more boring too... no offense to anyone.

Also of note, Mohs 90th percentile from 2017 MGMA is higher than all of the aforementioned specialties... by a pretty wide margin. Not sure what sort of lifestyle a 90th percentile mohs surgeon is putting down, but I'd wager it's a few clicks better than all of the above. Probably a hell of a lot more boring too... no offense to anyone.
One person's boring MOHS surgery is another's TKR, T&A, or root canal. If you find your niche, it's not boring at all.

One person's boring MOHS surgery is another's TKR, T&A, or root canal. If you find your niche, it's not boring at all.

Mohs on the face is probably one of the most interesting specialties. From the reconstructive side, the challenge and spontaneity of the surgery is unique in a profession where we try to tightly control as many variables as possible preoperatively.