1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Rank the Illinois schools

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by dimebag darrell, Nov 28, 2005.

1. dimebag darrell

5+ Year Member

Hi Everyone,

While perhaps Northwestern and U of C are the top schools in Illinois (though that's open to debate of course), where do you think the rest of the schools fall? I am genuinely curious, since I am currently an Illinois resident who knows very little about the other schools in Illinois. Share your proposed ranking of all the Illinois schools, based on whatever factors you deem important (with reasons explained, of course)!

Cheers

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MercyKillerDoc

MercyKillerDoc Membership Revoked
    Removed

nu
    uc
    rush
    uic
    loy
    ros

I ranked loyola low because of its catholic affiliation. Rosalind is the lowest due to its probationary status. UIC and rush are about tied. NU wins because of its curriculum, location.

4. RonBurgundy

RonBurgundy Member
    5+ Year Member

5. thinknofu3

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    well, if you go in terms of outside "rankings" (US News), its:

1) U of C
    2) NU
    3) UIC

then Rush, Loyola and RFUMS aren't ranked

If you want my subjective opinion (but i'm also skewed in terms of interviews, etc) I'd say

U of C
    NU
    UIC
    Rush (this and Loyola are interchangeable in my opinion)
    Loyola
    RFUMS

that's just my opinion, take it how you will :)

6. godawgs39

godawgs39 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    you guys are forgetting that other illinois school, SIU...

it's not ranked at all in this year's us news, but either last year or the year before SIU was somewhere in the 40s for primary care

7. jbrice1639

jbrice1639 Cub Fan, Bud Man
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    U of C
    NU
    Loyola
    Rush
    UIC
    SIU
    Rosalind

I realize UIC has a USNews (worthless) ranking, but their teaching doesn't seem to be the best, especially considering 60% of their first years end up failing at least one course and having to retake over the summer...

8. thinknofu3

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Where did you get that statistic about UIC?

And btw - one thing you can't deny about UIC (and I'm saying this even though UIC is not my first choice) is that it absolutely wins in the category of diversity of clinical experiences. Just the fact that they are affiliated with so many different hospitals all over the Chicago met area - there's so much you can do if you want to.

9. Faust

Faust Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

UIC
    UofChicago
    Loyola
    NU
    Rush
    Rosalind
    SIU

10. jbrice1639

jbrice1639 Cub Fan, Bud Man
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    they told us on our interview day. 10% of the urbana track first years have to retake at least one class and 60% of the chicago campus first years have to retake at least one class.

11. thinknofu3

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I feel like I would have remembered hearing that...I'm not saying you're lying, but that seems weird to me, I think I would have taken notice of it...

12. dimebag darrell

5+ Year Member

I don't see UIC ranked on US News' website - out of curiosity, what is their ranking, and is it in research or primary care?

Cheers

13. thinknofu3

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Its ranked 59 on research and not on primary care (keep in mind they overlap rankings, so you could have 5 schools ranked #25, etc)

14. nosugrefneb

nosugrefneb (benferguson)
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Within Chicago, I would definitely say that, based on reputation and quality of teaching/hospitals/patient care, Rush is easily - easily - third in the city, with NU and UChicago trading off at the top. UIC's facilities and teaching just do not stack up with those of Rush, and while Loyola has amazing facilities and has a solid reputation, the output from Rush is simply more frequent and more important in most categories. As I've said before, Rush may be one of the most underrated schools in the region.

SIU is a fabulous primary care school, of course, but is also highly underrated for its surgical preparation. Check out the surgical matches if you have a chance; it's pretty impressive compared to what most probably expect to come out of SIU.

Rosalind Franklin, despite making some great educational and financial changes in recent years, should be at the bottom of everyone's list among schools in Illinois.

Ben

15. thinknofu3

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ben - you're an M2 at U of C, right? I think I saw you on one of the Pritzker threads...if so, where did you get that info on Rush? I ask because my choice could very possibly come down to UIC and Rush...and I'm getting so many contradicting opinions from so many different places...how do I know who's giving me the real story?

16. nosugrefneb

nosugrefneb (benferguson)
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am.

I've been to interviews at both of those schools, I live in Chicago and know what outside peoples' perspectives are on the two, I can see first-hand what the resources are like at each school, and most importantly I have multiple friends at both schools who say drastically different things about the two regarding curriculum, general morale, teaching, facilities, patient experiences, etc. If it's a tossup for you, spend the money and go with Rush.

Email me if you have more questions: [email protected]

17. medicomel

medicomel Purveyor of short posts.
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    yeah, i don't remember that either. i only heard that if you fail a class, you just retake the final exam, not an entire class.

18. psychedoc2b

psychedoc2b Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hi,

I would not worry much about ranking than about how you learn best. If you are an independent learner, then choose UIC. If you need to have someone hold your hand and tell you what to study, then go to Rush or Loyola. I think as long as you do well in medical school and on the USMLE, it does not matter much if you go to UIC, Loyola, or Rush. I think if you are into prestige, then choose U of C or Northwestern. I can't say they graduate better doctors than the other medical schools in Chicago but do know that it does matter a wee bit where you went to medical school when applying for residencies.

Just my two cents,
    psychedoc2b