• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Rank the Illinois schools

dimebag darrell

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2005
    Hi Everyone,

While perhaps Northwestern and U of C are the top schools in Illinois (though that's open to debate of course), where do you think the rest of the schools fall? I am genuinely curious, since I am currently an Illinois resident who knows very little about the other schools in Illinois. Share your proposed ranking of all the Illinois schools, based on whatever factors you deem important (with reasons explained, of course)!

Cheers

About the Ads

thinknofu3

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Nov 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    1. Medical Student
      well, if you go in terms of outside "rankings" (US News), its:

1) U of C
      2) NU
      3) UIC

then Rush, Loyola and RFUMS aren't ranked

If you want my subjective opinion (but i'm also skewed in terms of interviews, etc) I'd say

U of C
      NU
      UIC
      Rush (this and Loyola are interchangeable in my opinion)
      Loyola
      RFUMS

that's just my opinion, take it how you will :)

godawgs39

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Jan 13, 2005
      1. Medical Student
        you guys are forgetting that other illinois school, SIU...

it's not ranked at all in this year's us news, but either last year or the year before SIU was somewhere in the 40s for primary care

jbrice1639

Cub Fan, Bud Man
        10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Jun 16, 2005
        Chicago
        1. Medical Student
          U of C
          NU
          Loyola
          Rush
          UIC
          SIU
          Rosalind

I realize UIC has a USNews (worthless) ranking, but their teaching doesn't seem to be the best, especially considering 60% of their first years end up failing at least one course and having to retake over the summer...

thinknofu3

10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          Nov 27, 2005
          Chicago, IL
          1. Medical Student
            Where did you get that statistic about UIC?

And btw - one thing you can't deny about UIC (and I'm saying this even though UIC is not my first choice) is that it absolutely wins in the category of diversity of clinical experiences. Just the fact that they are affiliated with so many different hospitals all over the Chicago met area - there's so much you can do if you want to.

nosugrefneb

(benferguson)
            10+ Year Member
            Nov 22, 2005
            Chicago
            www.facebook.com
            1. Medical Student
              Within Chicago, I would definitely say that, based on reputation and quality of teaching/hospitals/patient care, Rush is easily - easily - third in the city, with NU and UChicago trading off at the top. UIC's facilities and teaching just do not stack up with those of Rush, and while Loyola has amazing facilities and has a solid reputation, the output from Rush is simply more frequent and more important in most categories. As I've said before, Rush may be one of the most underrated schools in the region.

SIU is a fabulous primary care school, of course, but is also highly underrated for its surgical preparation. Check out the surgical matches if you have a chance; it's pretty impressive compared to what most probably expect to come out of SIU.

Rosalind Franklin, despite making some great educational and financial changes in recent years, should be at the bottom of everyone's list among schools in Illinois.

Ben

thinknofu3

10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Nov 27, 2005
              Chicago, IL
              1. Medical Student
                Ben - you're an M2 at U of C, right? I think I saw you on one of the Pritzker threads...if so, where did you get that info on Rush? I ask because my choice could very possibly come down to UIC and Rush...and I'm getting so many contradicting opinions from so many different places...how do I know who's giving me the real story?

nosugrefneb

(benferguson)
                10+ Year Member
                Nov 22, 2005
                Chicago
                www.facebook.com
                1. Medical Student
                  I am.

I've been to interviews at both of those schools, I live in Chicago and know what outside peoples' perspectives are on the two, I can see first-hand what the resources are like at each school, and most importantly I have multiple friends at both schools who say drastically different things about the two regarding curriculum, general morale, teaching, facilities, patient experiences, etc. If it's a tossup for you, spend the money and go with Rush.

Email me if you have more questions: [email protected]

medicomel

Purveyor of short posts.
                  10+ Year Member
                  15+ Year Member
                  Feb 17, 2004
                  a stone's throw away from reality
                  www.google.com
                  1. Attending Physician
                    thinknofu3 said:
                    I feel like I would have remembered hearing that...I'm not saying you're lying, but that seems weird to me, I think I would have taken notice of it...

yeah, i don't remember that either. i only heard that if you fail a class, you just retake the final exam, not an entire class.

psychedoc2b

10+ Year Member
                    5+ Year Member
                    Oct 23, 2004
                      dimebag darrell said:
                      Hi Everyone,

While perhaps Northwestern and U of C are the top schools in Illinois (though that's open to debate of course), where do you think the rest of the schools fall? I am genuinely curious, since I am currently an Illinois resident who knows very little about the other schools in Illinois. Share your proposed ranking of all the Illinois schools, based on whatever factors you deem important (with reasons explained, of course)!

Cheers

Hi,

I would not worry much about ranking than about how you learn best. If you are an independent learner, then choose UIC. If you need to have someone hold your hand and tell you what to study, then go to Rush or Loyola. I think as long as you do well in medical school and on the USMLE, it does not matter much if you go to UIC, Loyola, or Rush. I think if you are into prestige, then choose U of C or Northwestern. I can't say they graduate better doctors than the other medical schools in Chicago but do know that it does matter a wee bit where you went to medical school when applying for residencies.

Just my two cents,
                      psychedoc2b

About the Ads
                      This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      7. This thread is locked.