doc-Oc

5+ Year Member
May 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Uworld is # 1 by popular say however whats after that?

Taddy Mason

30 Helens agree
2+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2015
The Seaward
Status
Resident [Any Field]
UWorld for dedicated

Rx during 2nd year along with lecture >>> than Kaplan during 2nd year with lecture

Everyone I've ever talked to said that Kaplan is way too minutiae heavy and I only know of one person who actually finished the whole thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: lymphocyte

OnePunchBiopsy

General Surgery
Feb 3, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
1: Uworld
2: Kaplan
3: USMLERx

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: Stagg737
OP
D

doc-Oc

5+ Year Member
May 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student
UWorld for dedicated

Rx during 2nd year along with lecture >>> than Kaplan during 2nd year with lecture
im in my beginning of 4th semester what should i be focusing on? i heard some ppl say leave uworld for dedicated and others say do it as much as possible.

Taddy Mason

30 Helens agree
2+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2015
The Seaward
Status
Resident [Any Field]
im in my beginning of 4th semester what should i be focusing on? i heard some ppl say leave uworld for dedicated and others say do it as much as possible.
I'm guessing your from a Carib school, so would that correspond to 2nd half of 2nd year in a traditional curriculum stateside?

Last edited:

Taddy Mason

30 Helens agree
2+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2015
The Seaward
Status
Resident [Any Field]
4th semester as in second half of second year.
That's when most of my classmates and I started Rx (or Kaplan for the few that did). If I could do things over I prolly would've started during the second quarter of 2nd year. My recommendation based on my experience and what I would do differently if I were to do it over again would be to get through Rx (I preferred doing timed blocks with the max number of questions possible) while annotating FA and Pathoma as you go. Save UWorld for dedicated (again annotating FAP as you go) and if you can swing it try to make 2 passes through. Just my 2 cents based on my experience - some may disagree or have other recommendations; everyone is different.

Bobcat18

5+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Uworld>>>>Others

mcloaf

7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
UW.

I did UW concurrently with class the reset during dedicated. 2 passes.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Meh there's a reasonable argument to be made for doing as many unique questions as possible. Multiple passes of the same questions are not as valuable IMO but whatever works for you.

masaraksh

7+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2011
Northeast
Status
Medical Student
I got through uworld in 4 weeks of dedicated doing from around 90q per day in 15q blocks (some days more some less) and taking extensive notes. I don't think you need much more than 5-6 weeks for uworld.

I started RX about 4-5months before test day and worked through about 2-3 blocks a week with classes (so 90-150q)

Jun 13, 2016
I found my second pass of uworld to be a waste of time because I remember the correct answer regardless of if I know why that answer is correct. I used nothing with classes and used Uworld random blocks and Rx for subject specific blocks during my dedicated time

Spikebd

7+ Year Member
May 2, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I found my second pass of uworld to be a waste of time because I remember the correct answer regardless of if I know why that answer is correct. I used nothing with classes and used Uworld random blocks and Rx for subject specific blocks during my dedicated time
I did this but only used Uworld and did well. No need to use anything more than Uworld IMO. You can do some you missed if you really need to.

Stagg737

5+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2013
Decapod 10
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I personally didn't like the idea of using only one Qbank, but that's just me. If you used FA a lot during first second year and made a lot of notes for reference in it, Rx is probably a better choice as a second bank. I liked Kaplan better than Rx overall though. Partially because I didn't like the format of Rx, and partially because we got Kaplan for free.

Reactions: AlteredScale

OnePunchBiopsy

General Surgery
Feb 3, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Lots of people saw to use UW only during your dedicated study time. Everyone is different though IMO. I would say to start UW when you want to during second year, that way you can gauge how fast you can get through it. Better to find it out sooner that be on your dedicated (4-5-6) weeks and realize you won't finish in time.

Personally, it took me FOREVER to get through it because I would study every detail and review all my missed concepts frequently. This played to my advantage because when I was half way through my second run, I remembered too much from my first run and decided to just do uworld 1.5 times.

DoctorLacrosse

7+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2012
The Intrawebz
Status
Medical Student
Isn't part of the theory behind doing UW twice that you will read the explanations twice? I've heard people say it's more a learning tool than a testing tool, so I'm not sure why it's a big deal that people say you'll remember some answers the second time around if that's indeed the case. Genuinely asking as I just started M2 so I actually don't know.

Jun 13, 2016
Isn't part of the theory behind doing UW twice that you will read the explanations twice? I've heard people say it's more a learning tool than a testing tool, so I'm not sure why it's a big deal that people say you'll remember some answers the second time around if that's indeed the case. Genuinely asking as I just started M2 so I actually don't know.
I particularly don't read as thoroughly through a round 2 and I am terrible about deep reading for a question that I get right. So if I get a question right I deem that information that I know and move on whether or not I actually understand the material correctly and would get a question based on that info right if it was phrased differently or I am just clicking the answer I recognize. Other people do not have this issue and find a second pass helpful. I don't

Reactions: DoctorLacrosse

JonMonkey

7+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2011
Dallas, Tx
Status
Attending Physician
It does not matter. All Q banks are asking you about the same topics. Find the one that you are most comfortable with and stick to it. When you jump from one to another you waste time learning that system rather than the actual material. Personally I liked UWorld for questions but I liked the Kaplan video series for content.

mcloaf

7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Personally I think one gets way more out of reasoning through the questions than just reading the answers. It probably depends on whether you regard UWorld as a primary information source vs a way of testing knowledge across topics in a realistic setting. If it's just an information source then sure, read the answers as many times as possible. If you're relying on it to help you practice applying and integrating knowledge then I think most of the value is in the first pass and you gain much less from just reading the answers a second time. This also ties in to how you time your use of UWorld; if you use it as a primary resource then you'll want to integrate it into M2, if you're using it is a testing resource you're more likely to save it for dedicated. Personally I used other resources for primary knowledge and saved UW for dedicated. Any time I came across information in UW that I hadn't already encountered (obviously this happened often) I viewed it as a failure of my pre-dedicated time studying. Neither way is right or wrong and people who do either are highly successful on step 1, it just depends on your preferences and what works for you.

Reactions: DoctorLacrosse

Amygdarya

10+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It does not matter. All Q banks are asking you about the same topics. Find the one that you are most comfortable with and stick to it. When you jump from one to another you waste time learning that system rather than the actual material. Personally I liked UWorld for questions but I liked the Kaplan video series for content.
I agree that all Q banks (presumably) cover all the same topics and that it's a good idea to systematically go through one bank rather than jump between several banks. However, I disagree with "it doesn't matter". There is a world of difference in question quality between, eg., Rx and UWorld - the first one is pretty straightforward fact recall/knowledge base check, while the second adds more integration and reasoning. And since you want to get into Step 1 reasoning and integration mode, doing questions that will allo you that matters.

There was a study (I'm too lazy to look for a reference) that showed that people who used 2+ q banks did better on Step 1 than people who only used one q bank. Of course, this could be confounded by the fact that people who use 2+ q banks are likely more motivated and hardworking, which in itself helps with getting a higher score, but I think doing more unique questions (rather than repeating questions) intuitively makes sense. This, I'm with those who choose the combination of Rx or Kaplan* (or both if you can afford it and are particularly motivated) before the dedicated period, and UWorld once during the dedicated period.

* - I chose Rx because it's cheaper and basically covers First Aid, but Kaplan vs Rx is ultimately a matter of personal preference/resources