Status
Not open for further replies.

OGMD

7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2010
Status
Hey guys, I've been fortunate enough to receive interviews at several schools but due to monetary constraints, I may need to make some difficult choices about future interviews. That being said, would you mind ranking these 5 schools based on what you've heard, read, or experienced? Feel free to add any pertinent details for each. You're feedback is much appreciated!

-Saint Louis University
-MC Wisconsin
-NYMC
-SUNY Upstate
-Albany

StephBee

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2010
Status
Medical Student
This is based solely on my opinion so take it with a grain of salt.
I live in syracuse and although Upstate has some pretty nice facilities, living is Syracuse isn't worth it unless you like living in a very poor city. There isn't a whole lot to do besides go to bars and it can get pretty shady if you aren't on campus (we get emails just about every week of someone getting mugged. No joke)

that being said:

NYMC > Albany > Saint Louis > MC Wisc > Upstate

Just my opinion. If you think about it this way : Upstate, NYMC and Albany are all NY so less travel.

DJtiesto

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Well you wanted opinions so here's mine...

I interviewed at MCW and loved it. It's facilities are brand new and they are putting up a new building just for students to open in a year. They also have numerous research opportunities for students. Like some other schools, MCW has a Pathways program where you can pick a focus (community health, research, can't remember the others) and spend time in it each week. I wanted to do research so having time built in to the curriculum was a plus.

MCW is located in Wauwatosa which is right next to Milwaukee. Wauwatosa is a pretty suburban. However the drive to Milwaukee only takes 5-10 minutes. Chicago is an 1-1.5 hours from there.

The class of 2015 will be the first class to go through the new curriculum that emphasizes substantially less lecture time and more PBL. That can be a plus or minus for you. On my interview day, the students were some of the nicest, friendliest people I met on the interview trail.

Lastly, the Cost of Attendance for MCW is SUBSTANTIALLY less than that of a typical OOS school. I believe it is 54k while some OOS schools (Georgetown, UIC, FIU) are 70-80k.

Just for your reference, I had interviews at 17 schools and it was easily in my top 4. Once I got accepted to MCW, I cancelled my remaining 5 interviews. Not trying to brag, just letting you know how impressed I was with MCW.

Last edited:

slowbutsteady

slowbutsteady
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
go to all of them. borrow the money. now is not the time for budgeting.

sedaniel

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2008
Detroit, MI
www.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
go to all of them. borrow the money. now is not the time for budgeting.
OP already has an acceptance according to their MDApps page so I'd say picking and choosing interviews now is totally fine.

Lokhtar

Dreaming about the lions
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2007
Philadelphia
Status
Medical Student
Well you wanted opinions so here's mine...

I interviewed at MCW and loved it. It's facilities are brand new and they are putting up a new building just for students to open in a year. They also have numerous research opportunities for students. Like some other schools, MCW has a Pathways program where you can pick a focus (community health, research, can't remember the others) and spend time in it each week. I wanted to do research so having time built in to the curriculum was a plus.
I haven't interviewed at most of those places so I am not going to give an opinion but I wanted to mention that Albany also has a research track.

May 23, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I interviewed at NYMC and MCW, and MCW is by far a better school in my personal opinion. Djtiesto hit some key points, among many others. OP, I highly suggest you interview at the MCW if you can afford it.

MCAT guy

May 24, 2010
Status
Other Health Professions Student
NYMC may be entering into a merger with Touro University (the DO school).

Something to consider.

OP
OGMD

OGMD

7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2010
Status
Thanks for all the feedback so far guys. Yeah I've already booked my trip to MCW and it seems everyone has great things to say so I'm really looking forward to it. The only one I was hesitant about was booking Albany (expensive flight etc) after getting the Upstate acceptance (especially since Upstate is only 22k/year tuition from 2nd-4th year compared to 42k at Albany). But I know money isn't the only factor and it's gotta be a school where I'll be happy for 4 years so I was really torn. I still haven't heard decisions from NYMC, SLU, or CCLCM either.

If I had to rank the 3 of the 5 that I've interviewed at just based on my interview experiences:
SLU=Upstate>NYMC

But I just wanted to get your opinions because just one day at a school is hard to make a decision for the next 4 years.

bamtuba

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I can only comment on the NY schools, but my opinion of those based on graduates with whom I've dealt in Rochester, NY would be:

Upstate>>Albany(slightly)>NYMC

And for what it's worth, I personally liked Upstate much better than Stony Brook, Buffalo, and Downstate.

My favorite NY school (I did not apply to private schools in the city...) would be Rochester. But that is also an acquired taste, I think.

You gotta go with what your "gut," "heart," and head are telling you in the end.

:luck:

Aug 27, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I went on a few interviews and I have to echo the praises for MCW. It was amazing, the facilities are beautiful, the hospitals are connected to the school building via walkways, they have the third best children's hospitals in the nation (great if you want to go into pedes and specialize), the pathways offers built in time for research (and is something unique to put onto residency apps), the surrounding community is quaint but you're still close enough to the cities *Milwaukee, Chicago, Madison. It was my first acceptance, but currently third on my list.

I talked to students who interviewed at both NYMC and Albany and the concensus was that MCW>NYMC>Albany.

Just my opinions though :)

Good luck

wanderer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I wouldn't go to Albany. I haven't visited, but I doubt it could beat SUNY Upstate. At Upstate you can become IS after first year and save a lot of money. I haven't visited Albany personally but upstate NY in general is pretty boring if you're used to big city life, so I don't see what Albany could offer you that Syracuse can't.

I liked SLU too, and SLU and Upstate are pretty much a wash but Upstate is a lot cheaper. You can see my thoughts regarding the Touro acquisition of NYMC in the other thread that appeared. Basically the acquisition casts a lot of uncertainty on the future of NYMC.

So, Upstate~SLU>>Albany>NYMC

Aug 5, 2010
Status
NYMC may be entering into a merger with Touro University (the DO school).

Something to consider.
NYMC is located right next to a jail and nothing else. I kid you not. I did *not* like it. It has a nice anatomy lab though and is sorta (but not really) close to NYC. It is basically the worst medical school in the NYC area.

Upstate is ranked for primary care (by US News) for what it's worth.

OP
OGMD

OGMD

7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2010
Status
Alright guys/girls, I appreciate all the feedback and PM's I got about this. SDN is really a great collaborative community (usually). I decided to withdraw from my Albany interview, but will definitely be attending the MCW one. Actually met with two close friends over the weekend who had interviewed at Albany and both reflected similar opinions I've been seeing. Hopefully the spot goes to someone interested in the program.

I'm just grateful to have an acceptance right now and wish the best luck to all of you as well. Keeping my fingers crossed that I get off the waitlist at Case or UCI or even an acceptance at Cleveland Clinic (full tuition scholarship? hell yeah) in December.

terrypk1

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2008
Status
hey guys just have a random question.
what do you think where you would put Michigan state univeristy md program?
let's not worry about money for now.
but please be honest with me

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.