rank YOUR top 10

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coop

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
While it probably won't be 10 schools, i think it'd be interesting to see, as an offshoot of the trying to predict the usnews top 10 thread, people ranking the places they've interviewed at. So rank the places you've interviewed at, on how much YOU would like to go there. The only major concern left out is financial aid, which is, at this point unknown. So let us know where you'd rank the schools you've seen for you personally. Here's my ranking:

1. Pritzker
2. Duke
t3. Vanderbilt
t3. Case Western
5. Pitt
6. Hopkins
7. Maryland

Members don't see this ad.

Uh, I'm thinking this could be a problem for those who haven't interviewed at any schools.

-any- school is my top choice
except for loma linda - i don't mean to say anything offensive for LL, but when i applied i didn't realize their interesting policies
oh well, anywhere is good :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Jase,
Could you enlighten me about their policies? I have a friend attending there and he seemed to like it. I could use this info when I apply next year.

Thanks much!
Tweets

1) cornell
2) columbia
3) einstein
4) SUNY downstate

I'm finally leaving NYC tomorrow for U Mich which I'm sure will end up in my top 3.

Originally posted by jase133:
•-any- school is my top choice
except for loma linda - i don't mean to say anything offensive for LL, but when i applied i didn't realize their interesting policies
oh well, anywhere is good :) •••

Hey Jase, I see you're a Canadian applicant. How are you planning to fund your education if you end up going to the US? Lots of loans, or already pretty well off to begin with, etc.?

I know this isn't related to this thread, but as a fellow Canadian, I'm curious to the answer to that question as well.

I think I have it in me to get into a good school (as opposed to my home school, the University of Manitoba, which is something less than excellent) in the US. But the only schools that offer Canadians financial aid (as far as I can tell) are Yale and Harvard. I really wanted to go to Duke, but I don't think I want to go $170 000 US into debt! Are either one of you willing to go that far into debt?

If money was no option, this would be my top 10 list:

1. Duke
2. Stanford
3. Harvard HST
4. Yale
5. UCSF
6. Cornell
7. U of Manitoba (home school...)

Here's my list after interviews. I only applied to seven schools...

1. Iowa
2. Wisconsin
3. WashU
4. Northwestern
5. Loyola
6. Southern Illinois
7. UIC

=)

Here's my list, after interviews:

1) Loyola
2) Georgetown
3) Wash U
4) Indiana
5) St. Louis U

My post-interview list:

1) Yale
2) Penn
3t) Columbia
3t) Michigan
5)Vanderbilt
6)Rochester
7)Georgetown

it's interesting to see Washu below some schools not generally thought of as in the same league, anyone want to comment on what took washu down their lists? competetiveness? location?... thanks

Originally posted by coop:
•it's interesting to see Washu below some schools not generally thought of as in the same league, anyone want to comment on what took washu down their lists? competetiveness? location?... thanks•••

I liked WashU alot. I just liked the affiliation with the large school atmosphere better =)

Originally posted by coop:
•it's interesting to see Washu below some schools not generally thought of as in the same league, anyone want to comment on what took washu down their lists? competetiveness? location?... thanks•••

I think WashU gets dissed (somewhat unfairly) for its location. For me, St. Louis is a good location (close to home) and I've never lived in an absolutely huge metropolis like NYC/Chicago/LA.

WashU is in my top 5.

Members don't see this ad :)
baylor... though i haven't seen washu, i agree with you. i've heard from a number of people good things about the washu area, i think a lot of places that aren't in ny/sf/boston/la get unfairly dissed for being in a bad location. Its definately on my list of schools i'm considering, if they decide to interview me.

1 Ohio State and U Cincinnati (tie)
2) Vermont (really wasn't crazy about it)

hmm.. back in the day when I applied (for class of 2005):
1)Maryland (in-state)(waitlisted then rejected)
2)Tufts (would have been tied for #1 if the tuition weren't so damned high; I ended up going here after months of being on the waitlist :D )
3)SLU (accepted off waitlist)
4)Penn State U. (waitlisted then rejected)
5) NYMC (waitlisted, never got in (and don't care)
6)MCP-Hahnemann (waitlisted and rejected)

whoops
haven't kept up with this post thread for a while

with regards to the first question, i think Loma Linda has some strict religious regulations, relatively (compared to, say, Tufts, etc) low GPA (~3.56) and MCATs

concerning tuition, i plan to borrow from everyone i know and the bank. my parents are willing to defray some of the costs too if i am accepted to a "well known" school

Originally posted by Katie:
4) NYMC (waitlisted, never got in (and don't care)
••
What aspect/s of NYMC did you not care for? I'm just curious- I applied there (I just sent my secondary to them).

Originally posted by jase133:

my parents are willing to defray some of the costs too if i am accepted to a "well known" school
••

Jase: Just curious, but why would they only help you out if you only got accepted to a "well known" school. If they want to help, shouldn't they help regardless of which school you decide to attend?

I'm just so thrilled to have been accepted ANYWHERE, to be honest, and if I'm rejected from every other school, I'll still be happy. BUT, pretending that this is a beautiful world in which I actually have a choice, here would be my rundown (for schools at which I've interviewed/ been granted an interview):

1) Yale!!!
2) Columbia
3) Cornell
4) Einstein
5) UConn (accepted)
6) NYU (accepted)

I still haven't heard diddly squat from four other schools. . . perhaps they'll be thrown in the mix somewhere when I finally receive word from them. Depends on how nice they are to me. ;)

Morninglight: You put Einstein over NYU? May I ask why? Did you see something at NYU you didn't like? I'm curious because I'm interviewing at both schools in the near future and am going in thinking NYU is better.

Anyway, this sounds fun. Here's my list...I'm including some schools to which I don't yet have interviews...but whatever - this is a dream list.

1. Hopkins
2. Harvard
3. Yale
4. Columbia (interview soon)
5. Cornell
6. U Penn
7. Mt. Sinai (interview soon)
8. NYU (interview soon)
9. U Pitt
10. Albert Einstein (interview soon)

Hey jargon, :)

I just sent you a private message in response to your question. :)

this looks kinda fun . . . i'm including a couple of schools i haven't interviewed at but will soon. so this is just a guess :

1. duke
2. penn
3.(tie) uchicago, baylor
4. pitt
5. case western (accepted)

although penn and uchicago REALLY could move around considering i haven't seen them yet. :)

-sar

md2be06 - heh, you're right... they will help me to any school a bit, but they'd prefer it to be harvard or soemthing; with that said, i didn't apply to harvard (would have been a waste of $ for me since I know i don't have a chance)

cheers

Morninglight:

I was also considering NYU as an option and was also curious as to why you have that at the bottom of your list. I'm actually a little bitter about the school at the moment but was curious what you were thinking. Thanks a bunch.

Okay JJ4, I just sent you a private message too. :)

Morninglight, me too? Also- tell me about UConn if you have the time- like whether you might attend. It's a distinct possibility for me too. Thanks.

actually, I liked NYMC well enough. The particular aspects I didn't care for were the suburban location that is pretty far out of NYC, seemed like a more competitive atmosphere than other schools I interviewed at, 8 students to a cadaver (!!), and run down facilities (they told us new ones were on the way but who knows how that goes). Generally, it wasn't that I didn't like NYMC, but I just preferred Tufts and SLU for other reasons. The main reasons I prefered Tufts and SLU were that they seemed less competitive with H/P/F grading systems, the students seemed to really get along with each other, and NEMC and SLU hospitals blow most of NYMC's affiliated hospitals out of the water. Also, I love Boston, and St. Louis is a nice midwestern city with lots of cool parks and neighborhoods. I chose Tufts ultimately because they have a stronger reputation and I wanted to stay on the East Coast. Hope this helps! Good luck!
Originally posted by daisygirl:
•Originally posted by Katie:

What aspect/s of NYMC did you not care for? I'm just curious- I applied there (I just sent my secondary to them).•••

Look what I started...sorry MorningLight :)

1) UPenn
2) Columbia
3) NYU
4) Albert Einstein
5) SUNY Downstate (accepted)