Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
  1. nevertheless05

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    how would everyone rank the following programs based on reputation and overall education

1. Ohio State
    2. Dartmouth
    3. Rush
    4. Univ. of Illinois/Chicago
    5. Cleveland Clinic

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. carter

Removed

Resident [Any Field]

BUMP and add univ of minnesota and utah in the mix

4. jdh71

jdh71 epiphany at nine thousand six hundred feet
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What do you want to do when you grow up? In other words what residency do you want to do after your residency?

5. 153445

153445 Guest

Medical Student
    Since some of us may be making preliminary ROL's as we progress through the interview season, I guess it wouldn't hurt to start the tentative "help me rank" thread for this year.

I am almost done with my interviews. My career goals include: academic medicine ... most interested in nephrology right now, possibly ICU nephrology (double-boarding) ... need to leave the door open for cards since I am not sure if I will end up loving it after my exposure elective late in the spring.

Right now, I am leaning towards this order:
    OHSU (everyone's happiness there was contagious, but the renal faculty have more limited research interests than other places on this list)
    UPitt
    Vandy
    UTSW (loved the faculty and residents but not sure if the schedule is the right fit for me)
    Colorado
    Emory (loved the residents but had a visceral negative reaction to Grady)

Wash U to be tossed in at the top of the list unless something goes awry on my interview day. I don't know too much about OHSU (applied because a friend told me I would love Portland, and I did) but had a great interview day. I am just not sure if I would be able to make the right connections there for my career goals, or if that is even that important? UPitt and OHSU are both programs I knew very little about prior to ERAS opening (and are less widely discussed on SDN), but they ended up shooting up towards the top of my list ... are there any big negatives people noticed while interviewing at those places or from having the inside scoop?

Thanks!

6. gutonc

gutonc No Meat, No Treat
    Administrator Physician PhD 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I agree that OHSU and Pitt are both great, under-the-radar programs. Not a perfect fit for everyone but good places and worth a look.

I'll start off by saying that I was a resident and am now a fellow at OHSU so my biases (and real-world experience with other programs) are clear. I grew up in Portland but only applied to OHSU for residency b/c I was planning a trip home in December anyway and figured I could string it along w/ my UW interview (my pre-interview #1). I too found the resident happiness infectious which was one of the many reasons I decided to rank it #1.

You are right that the research in renal @ OHSU isn't huge but the clinical training is excellent. Renal transplant, an ESRD service, lots of procedures if you're interested in that and really phenomenal teaching attendings. If you're interested in Renal/CCM there are several prior fellows who have done both so the precedent has been set.

As for the IM program itself. I think the major strengths are the wards and ICU attendings and the teaching. The service/education balance is (I think) very good. There will be a dud here and there but overall great. PD is very resident focused and is very supportive of work hour restrictions. Your colleagues will be bright, hardworking and fun to hang out with.

I loved it and am happy to have trained here and gotten to stay for fellowship.

7. drfunktacular

drfunktacular ANA ≠ SLE

Attending Physician
    OK, this seems fun. I think I want to do either general medicine or heme/onc (malignant heme moreso than solid onc). I am also couples-matching so that will be a factor. But if I were ranking them solely on my preferences, my tentative list would look like:

Mayo
    Duke
    Colorado
    UNC
    Baylor-Dallas
    Scott & White
    UT-San Antonio
    Methodist-Houston
    UT-Houston
    UT-Southwestern (4 unit months as an intern?? NOT for me)

Still have to interview at Baylor-Houston.

8. dragonfly99

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    WashU and UT southwestern are probably the biggest academic names mentioned on the lists above. The name can take you places in terms of where you can match for fellowship. Going somewhere "big name" for fellowship matters a lot more if you want to do academic bench research, but not much if you want to do private practice or aren't gunning for a full professorship and/or dept. chairmanship in the future.

Vanderbilt is well known for renal transplant, and renal in general.

9. 153445

153445 Guest

Medical Student
    Thanks for the input, gutonc and dragonfly!

I am wondering if the "go where you would be happiest" rule still applies to those of us who are interested in academics ... :confused:

10. jdh71

Attending Physician
    Baylor-Dallas over Scott & White? No way. Baylor-D is a nice little program, but it's only got the affiliation, and isn't much more than a sweet little community program gig really (I thought it was weak sauce, and I'm lazy). If you are doing any thinking about heme-onc, then you need to have true Uni programs at the top, and that would be A&M . . .

Of course this is mostly a moot point, based on your current list you are a strong american applicant and the chances you match lower than 3 on your list are pretty friggin slim, like slim to none and slim just took a walk.

(Unless it's Baylor stay out of Houston! [gawd I HATE houston])

11. jdh71

Attending Physician
    Of course . . . provided you have enough "academic big boys in your list"

If someone starts crying about where to go and their list is like UCSF, WashU, Hopkins, and Mass General - I will say, "Go away nOOb!"

Now if you're really all that gunnerish and you should rank your programs in order of academic prestige, and remember you CAN move up the academic food chain with regard to fellowship, you merely have to work harder.

12. gutonc

gutonc No Meat, No Treat

Attending Physician
    I would have gladly traded all of my ward months for unit months (I only managed it once) as an intern and as a resident. Now if it's Q3 o/n that's a different story but I far preferred mgmt of unit player to the boring floor dispo issue folks.

13. NewRay

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I interviewed at UTSW, I may have missed it but I remember only 2 unit months, I checked the folder they gave, it has 2 months. But funny thing is the rotation months add only up to 10month. Anyone care to throw some light?

14. viostorm

viostorm Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If I wasn't couples matching my ROL would be:

BID
    Cleveland Clinic
    Mayo
    Baylor - Houston
    Pitt
    UT-Southwestern
    Univ of Cincinnati
    Scott + White
    UT San Antonio

Still have interviews that will be thrown in the mix.

WashU
    Brown
    Vandy
    UVA

I am very torn whether to rank UTSW because I absolutely hated (with a capital H) the program ... but I'm not planning on being a generalist and their fellowship match is reasonable and if necessary I could suck it up for 3 years.

15. drfunktacular

drfunktacular ANA ≠ SLE

Attending Physician
    Someone else can be more precise about this, but from a friend who did a rotation there, the general gist is that you have months that they call things like "Pulmonary" but in reality you are working in the unit. Also, when you're on call that month you have to cover the MICU and all the pulmonary patients, including the PHTN patients who code if you look at them. He said the interns were responsible for ~40 such patients altogether when on call. I'd be happy to be proven wrong by someone at the program though...

16. orientedtoself

orientedtoself resident
    5+ Year Member

ohio state
    uic
    dartmouth
    rush
    cc

17. rocdweller

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    How would you rank the following in terms of reputation and support for someone who would like to do cards or pulm/cc?

NYU
    Brown
    Einstein-Monte
    U. Maryland
    UVA
    Hopkins-Bayview
    Jefferson

Your help is much appreciated. Thanks!

18. drjitsu

2+ Year Member

Medical Student

I interviewed at OHSU, and my impression was if you want to do a fellowship, it is not the best option. And if you do want to do a fellowship out of there, be prepared to take a year doing hospitalist work (or something) before applying. The PD was of the mindset that this was the optimal path for doing a fellowship, and he may be right, but it may not be a fit for everyone. Most of the residents at OHSU do not go into fellowships. In fact, most of their reasons for picking the program were because it allowed them more leeway in picking generalist vs fellowship as opposed to some other top places where the whole class enters fellowships. Because of all this, I really felt they have a generalist/hospatilist mindset throughout their training.

Out of curiosity, why are you ranking Colorado below UTSW? I'm very interested in Colorado, and I'm surprised to see UTSW ahead of it.

19. dragonfly99

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    jdh,
    Agree with you r.e. Baylor-Dallas IM program (but it's been 4 years since I visited). It is a very nice little hospital, and seemed like a very cush program, but I don't think it would help drfunktacular in the hem/onc match very much. It would be better to go to a university program...such as one of the UT's, I would think. Baylor-Dallas does match people into some Baylor fellowships, and I think they have a very high IM board pass rate, but the residency didn't seem rigorous enough to me. Also, it tend s to be harder to "match out" at some random university specialty fellowship (such as outside Texas) if you go to that type of community program. It WAS the only place I saw happy looking surgical residents who were eating lunch, though...so if you're couples matching with someone doing surgery it might be a good option...LOL!
    Everyone there did seem very nice, and smart.

20. dragonfly99

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    drjitsu
    IMHO UT Southwestern has the reputation of being a very rigorous academic medical program, one that schools like Duke, WashU, Harvard, etc. recommend to their graduates if they want to do residency in Texas, and from which these types of schools take medicine residents to do fellowships @their institutions. I wouldn't personally have wanted to do residency there either, but it's known for being a high powered academic place. I believe they do a lot of bench/basic science research also, which tends to make it well known in academic circles. U of Colorado is a good university program too, but I don't think it's quite on the same level of gunnerishness/high powered academicness.

21. 153445

153445 Guest

Medical Student
    "Out of curiosity, why are you ranking Colorado below UTSW? I'm very interested in Colorado, and I'm surprised to see UTSW ahead of it."

I personally had a better interview day at UTSW. I loved the people I met and really didn't get the "malignant" feel most people talk about when they mention UTSW. I posted my thoughts on Colorado in the Interview Impressions thread, but in a nutshell I think it's a very good program, probably with a stronger reputation than the others higher on my list ... I just didn't have that positive gut reaction I was hoping for, despite the beautiful facilities, the beautiful weather, and the pretty decent fellowship match list.

A major reason UTSW isn't #1 on my list is my concern about how certain months are set up. I think at one hospital, where teams consist of one upper level + one intern, the intern admits 10 patients per call night (with some backup). I didn't think that was legal, but that's what I was told by multiple people. I am okay with more unit months (I am one of the crazies who enjoy critical care), so that aspect of the schedule didn't really scare me away. The programs higher up on my list have more humane schedules (even though Vandy is hardcore, it seems more humane) + good gut reactions + perks like free access to Up To Date in the hospitals that don't exist at Parkland ... not sure why that is ...

Since I am not one of the SDN-ers who received interviews at the very top programs, I don't have the luxury of ranking MGH/BWH/UCSF/Hopkins/Columbia/Duke/Penn in the order of where I would fit in best, knowing I would then have unlimited fellowship potential. :laugh: I know that OHSU is where I would be happiest, but I just want to make sure that by ranking it #1 or #2 I am not shooting myself in the foot for later since it's not as well known nationally as the other programs on my list. The faculty at my home institution have not really been all that helpful with information about most of these programs! So please keep posting ... I enjoy reading all of your opinions! :thumbup:

#20 153445, Dec 21, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  22. nevertheless05

2+ Year Member

Medical Student

Does everyone else agree with this order, in regard to reputation/quality of training? Personally, I actually thought people would view it in the complete opposite order

23. viostorm

viostorm Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I loved Cleveland Clinic and if I were not couples matching would rank it #2 in my list (see above).

I think cleveland clinic is the only program with a national/international reputation on your list and the only one with a top hospital (US News). I would also bet it has the best fellowship match. I think you are crazy not to rank it #1 on that list ... unless there is something about the program you didn't like.

24. coolmavs

coolmavs Member
    5+ Year Member

Hey, would you please elaborate a bit more on what aspects of UTSW left you with such hatred for the program? Also, what were the good points, if any, about the program?

25. viostorm

viostorm Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Look, it may be that I had a bad day other people have had good interviews.

1. I think that you can tell a lot about a person by how they treat their subordinates. ... At UTSW it is clear med students are completely abused. Thank god I didn't go there for med school. They make med students go get them food late night. Also we were reminded that because parkland is so behind on technology it's ok because your med student is there to fill the "technology gap"

2. The person who gave the tour spent much of the time explaining to other doctors in the hospital why they didn't get paid by his on the side moonlighting business then selling the program.

3. Parkland's financial status will hinder your training. Residents said they had trouble providing standard of care because of money. It was clear you won't use any of the latest and greatest drugs ... Like one resident hadn't even heard of byetta for example.

4. The PD kept talking about other programs like her time at Penn or how they lose lots of people to WashU. I was like hey maybe I should go to one of those places ....

5. Residents bragged about breaking caps and as an intern if you have 15 patients it just emphasizes the importance of discharging.

6. We happened upon a resident who was so exhausted she fell asleep on a table on the wards. Still on duty but who was obviously not safe to be caring for patients.

7. One year ACGME accreditted, why? Huge red flag.

I think in my 8 hours it was grossly obvious the place is very malignant, training is by autonomy rather then teaching. My interview will forever color my view of that program and I would be concerned about working with people who trained there because of how they were taught to treat and interact with people.

I however have only spent the interview day there and perhaps a residents viewpoint might be more useful.

I do notice people who train at UTSW tend to rationize why their training is good or why the obvious deficiencies are positives. I guess you would have to in order to put up with that place.

26. viostorm

viostorm Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Oh and WTF no uptodate. Not like it's the greatest thing but a perfect example of not helping residents provide care. But I bet a UTSW person will say "it's better not to have uptodate because we get really good at tracking down articles and books"

I think it is totally telling that UTSW doesn't care enough to get them electronic access to a database.

Is there any "top program" that doesn't have uptodate?

27. texassteak

1) Med studs here are not abused by any means. They usually offer to get food. Trust me, you would want that chance to take a break from call and get some fresh air. Med studs, especially AIs, are generally phenomenal.
    2) Moonlighting IMHO is a major strength of this program. Aside from the obvious benefit of raking in the cash (100k is easily possible), the training value of admitting on your own at night without any backup is a rush.
    3) I've never had a problem administering world-class medical care. This is a major teaching institution and an academic powerhouse. You can get any study or intervention done here. Keep in mind this is a county hospital and we have to be careful about ordering tests and medications our poor patients cannot afford. Most of us feel honored to care for this population.
    4) Penn and Wash U are great programs. Feel free to go to them!
    5) Discharging and disposition is the name of the game at every internal medicine residency in the country. You are in for a surprise if you think otherwise. Caps cannot be broken and I've never had 15 on any service.
    6) Not safe to practice medicine because you're sleeping when you have the chance to? Give me a break.
    7) Even Johns Hopkins has been on probation...
    8) We have Uptodate! Be careful using Uptodate at 'top' programs. If certain attendings catch you.........

Lastly you wrote the exact reason I came to UTSW...training by autonomy.

28. drfunktacular

drfunktacular ANA ≠ SLE

Attending Physician
    viostorm, you captured my feelings about UTSW to a tee. What a crazy retrograde place. Some kind of weird learning-through-self-abuse mentality over there; texassteak only reinforces that. If that's your bag go for it, I guess, but the UTSW way is not the only correct way (although that's news to them I think).

About the UTD, they mentioned at Mayo (I think) that they did a study of residents who use UTD and found that if they were using UTD for 20 minutes per day they scored a PGY-level better on their in-training exam than if they weren't using UTD. Obviously this would be subject to certain biases and idiosyncrasies of the particular program/hospital/residents/etc, but all the a**hole attendings with such a problem with UTD should come up with some counterevidence or else join us in 2008/9 and get the hell over their beef with the technology of the late 20th century.

Jeez, I'm cranky tonight.

29. viostorm

viostorm Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So to sum up, if you want to be thrown to the wolves learning by making mistakes with someones life while enjoying the rush of admitting with no backup , where med students *volunteer* to be scutted out, where the goal isn't to heal patients but rather to discharge them, where its ok to be on probation because hopkins was, all the while living in constant fear your attending will catch you reading uptodate, UTSW is for you!!!!

Sounds sweet! :)

Look, I've made my decision about UTSW. You guys asked why so that is why. I certainly appreciate the resident posting because it gives a different perspective. I'm not going to say anything else about UTSW because I've made my decision and you all just have to go on how your interviews went.

#28 viostorm, Dec 27, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  30. texassteak

I'm only going to correct you because you make some pretty harsh accusations that our primary goal is not heal patients but to discharge them and also that we learn by making mistakes on people's lives without supervision. That's completely false and illegal.

We 'heal' patients and then discharge them. There is supervision at all times in training. However, if you moonlight, by Texas law (not UTSW's law), you are the decision maker. If you pass the requirements that allow you to moonlight it is expected that you will not make mistakes in patient care.

Nobody's trying to change your mind, you asked for a resident's perspective. I don't think we're short of applicants.

31. coolmavs

coolmavs Member
    5+ Year Member

Thanks for the varying viewpoints provided by viostorm and texassteak.

I think that a lot of points that have been raised by viostorm, are valid. A couple of quick questions for texassteak,

1. Do you have any insight about the reason for it being on probation? I mean, this is from the point of view that are the remedial steps in place to fix the questions asked by the accreditation body? I know that a powerhouse, cannot loose its accrediatation, but just of curiousity what is the reason?

2. What would you say would be some of the major strengths of the IM residency training program, other than training by autonomy?

32. viostorm

viostorm Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Do you realize what learning by autonomy means? (also in you abc's of resident education it is the #1 thing "in that order" per your PD.)

It means *on your own* you make a decision and pending the outcome of that decision you choose to do it that way again. That is learning by making mistakes on patients. Although a necessary part of medical education until we figure out a better way, it is the foundation of your training program.

Also it was you who said the name of the game was "discharging" and confirmed by my tour guide who implied patients were discharged to reduce team census rather then when they are healed. In my opinion and at other programs the name of the game is healing.

I was told by multiple people on interview day there is no uptodate access at parkland, also other SDNers have been told the same thing.

I think the technology gap at Parkland means you don't know what you don't know. Has a parkland patient had angioscopy? Cardiac MRI (I was told specifically this was not available)? CT enterography? If you are talking about CT or MRI these are standard at community programs. I personally want to be exposed to the technology that will be standard in 10-20 years in my residency.

Med students don't volunteer for scut work. Unless the scut work is less painful. It should cause you to reflect that they would rather leave the hospital then stay and learn about medicine. Their actions reflect the learning environment you provide.

It's not the program for me. And in my previous post

33. FutureIMdoc80

2+ Year Member

okay viostorm. we get your point. you don't want to go to UTSW. can we move on now?

34. viostorm

viostorm Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah ... Sorry.

35. coolmavs

coolmavs Member
    5+ Year Member

Also, as a sidenote, which has got nothing to do with UTSW.......

If most programs themselves provide UptoDate.....then why should the attendings at the 'top' programs have a problem with that?

36. adam6

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just curious...but I thought Cleveland Clinic was great for fellowship but not so powerhouse for IM residency... anyone with more concrete info?

(not that I'm saying that "powerhouse" translates to "best" heheh)

37. Medikit

Medikit Plastic Bag Middle Class

Attending Physician
    The topic has meandered a bit but he was talking about programs from within this list:

1. Ohio State
    2. Dartmouth
    3. Rush
    4. Univ. of Illinois/Chicago
    5. Cleveland Clinic

I think Cleveland Clinic is a good IM program. Here is the fellowship stats:
    http://my.clevelandclinic.org/internal_medicine_residency/alumni/default.aspx

I did a small search and agree that there is not a lot of information on SDN regarding Cleveland Clinic, or really any of these programs.

38. muscles

muscles student of the month
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

If you're trying to research these programs seriously, you don't research on SDN! Its fine to ask for opinions, but serious research should come from program websites and information from interview day.

39. Medikit

Medikit Plastic Bag Middle Class

Attending Physician
    I think a serious review of a program should include information gathered from as many sources as possible.

40. dragonfly99

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't know what the reason is, but for some reason the attendings and PD's at some of the other major academic hospitals don't seem to think that Cleveland Clinic's IM residency is "all that" in terms of training. I don't really know what the reason is, or what it is based on. I have just heard it said. It also seems that it's a bit easier to get in to their IM program vs. some other places with "big names" such as Northwestern, U of Chicago, Wash U, etc. I'm really not sure what the reason is.

41. deb8r

The knock on the clinic is its lack of 'academic-ness'. Unlike some of the other institutions mentioned previously who have the academic ivory tower philosophy of equal value appointed to patient care, research, and education, the CCF is all about patient care and making money.

They do some clinical research (mostly they head up drug-company sponsored trials) and have some bench work but certainly less than most other top places. They tend to put their (very large amounts of) money into beautiful patient rooms, lots of nurses for close patient supervision, and PR. They have lots of VIP patients and are always trying to come up with ways to get those guys to give them more money so they can build more and fancier buildings

Patients love going to the CCF because they get treated really well there. They see their doctor (ie the attending) more often, they feel like the doctor cares, and they are willing to pay for the privelage of being treated well. They always get really high ratings in terms of patient satisfaction. Furthermore, some of the programs at the clinic are the best anywhere (ie cardiology/cardithoracic surgery).

On the other hand, as a resident you aren't in charge to the same degree you might be somewhere else. The attending and the fellow run a lot of the services and are much more hands on than at other places. Because the attending/fellow does more, the residents/students tend to do do less and are more cogs in the background.

Personally, I think it would probably be an outstanding place to do a fellowship if you wanted to do primarily clinical medicine, and would be a fine place to do residency as long as you realize what the place is about and what your role would be as a resident

42. dragonfly99

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    <The knock on the clinic is its lack of 'academic-ness'. Unlike some of the other institutions mentioned previously who have the academic ivory tower philosophy of equal value appointed to patient care, research, and education, the CCF is all about patient care and making money.

They do some clinical research (mostly they head up drug-company sponsored trials) and have some bench work but certainly less than most other top places. ....

On the other hand, as a resident you aren't in charge to the same degree you might be somewhere else. The attending and the fellow run a lot of the services and are much more hands on than at other places. Because the attending/fellow does more, the residents/students tend to do do less and are more cogs in the background.>

Great comment. That's the impression I've gotten about what academic docs think of Cleveland Clinic. You expressed it much better and in more detail than I did.

43. Cardsgeek

Medical Student
    The OHSU match list certainly isn't that of Hopkins/BWH/MGH etc, but I feel very strongly that you're not killing your chance of a great fellowship by doing your residency there. As an example, one of the chiefs matched in nephrology at MGH next year. My impression is that there is pressure from the state to turn out some primary care IM docs, so the fact that 99% of people don't go into fellowship like other places could be due to some level of self selection.

As an OHSU med student I do get a bit sick of other schools being more well known. However, it did not affect my application to IM residency programs at all, leading me to believe that the same holds true for fellowship applications. The chairman is very well respected nationally, as is the PD. At many of my interviews (including top tier programs which I'll not name because I hate it when people insert their list everywhere to show just how rad they really are) the PD or someone else asked me to "give my regards" to the PD and/or chair back @ OHSU.

When it comes down to it residency is 3 years of your life! I would go where you'll be happiest, and not follow the lead of the person on this post that said they might endure the place they hate just for the next stage in their career. Since I'm probably fellowship bound, I feel that I have to enjoy the process as well as the outcome, otherwise I'll be mid-30s before I'm done training, and will have missed out on a great period of my life. Anyway, good luck deciding!

44. gutonc

gutonc No Meat, No Treat

Attending Physician
    As a former OHSU resident and current OHSU fellow, I'll comment on this particular aspect of the program. A LOT of our residents over the past few years have decided to spend a year or 2 as hospitalists prior to applying to fellowships. Some for financial reasons, some b/c they're not sure exactly what they want to do, some for family reasons and some do it because they want to wind up somewhere else for fellowship but want to spend some time enjoying all the things there are to do in the Portland area but they didn't have time/money to do as residents. These folks do end up going into fellowships but because they match after they've finished their residency they don't "count" in the fellowship match results.

45. kb7878kb

2+ Year Member

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to provide some insight into my rank list. I am planning on a career in GI.
    1. Duke
    2. U of Michigan
    3. Northwestern
    4. U of Chicago
    5. Vanderbilt
    6. UNC Chapel Hill
    7. UCSD
    8. Pitt
    9. Mayo Clinic
    10. UTSW
    11. Emory
    Specifically, I am having difficulty determining whether to rank Northwestern or U of Chicago higher, Vanderbilt vs. UNC higher.
    Thanks for the help!

46. VCMM414

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    edit: response posted in the separate thread

#45 VCMM414, Jan 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  47. lovinnyc

Intern @ CCF, thought I would drop 2cents.

Although my opinion may be biased, I honestly think there seems to be some misconceptions about the CCF IM program.

The program in no way is fellow/staff run on almost all services, the first and only contact that I have come into a fellow with is the GI/hepatology service (where they will get on your case or make decisions if you are not). From other residents it seems that the CICU may have the same kind of feel. First year made of of 7-8 call months, two general IM, other sub -specialty services (GI, Hem-Onc, Cards, Renal, plus MICU etc), and one OP clinic month (although you have OP clinic one afternoon every week). Rest of time is spent in consult services. Most of the call months have been switched to 24 hrs (except cards teaching or MICU). f

There is a large emphasis on research (I was able to start on a project with nationally known staff within the first few months) and even a dedicated 4 month research program that residents can apply for in their second year (they accept 5-6). There is also a large emphasis on teaching cases being triaged to teaching teams (not perfect, but usually general IM triage officer sends teaching cases to teaching services and more general cases to dedicated hospitalist service).

Noon conference 4 days a week, intern morning report once a week. Grand Rounds once a week. The program takes its own into its fellowships (although cards made up of only a couple a year from in house). Plus the outside match for cards/GI has been pretty good (see link in post above). I sincerly asked myself if I made the right choice in coming to CCF (especially in the blizzard snow) and I think that I did.

Hope this helps a bit. I cannot speak for other programs but i think the training at CCF is busy, enjoyable (at times :)), and overall pretty good in the case exposure, staff friendliness, and resident autonomy.

48. thegoat

Medical Student
    To preface, I will likely do a fellowship but am unsure at this point which one. I am interested in Hem/Onc, but could change my mind and do something along the lines of cards, GI, or ID. I'm really not ruling much out at this point.

I would love to hear others opinions on the following programs that I will be ranking in terms of which would provide the best opportunities for a fellowship of my choosing.

Georgetown
    George Washington
    University of Colorado
    UIC
    Rush
    Loyola
    Vanderbilt
    University of Cincinnati
    University of Minnesota

I would be happy to comment on any of these programs if anyone was interested.
    Thanks so much for the input.

49. dreamfox

5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Vanderbilt and Univ of Colorado are the two that stand out to me on your list.

50. thegoat

Medical Student
    Any thoughts on the rest? I'm really partial to DC and Chicago and I am not sure if the prestige at a place like Univ of Col or Vandy will be enough to outweigh by desire to live in DC or Chicago. Appreciate the input.