Ranking dental schools in the U.S

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joooj86

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im sure there is a list ranking dental schools. I have looked everywhere but these biast reporters just give a list of med schools ranked!! Where can I find it??

Members don't see this ad.

I searched the forums so many times before posting the thread !!! I knew it was somewhere but couldnt find it. Well sorry about that now i know where it is!

Members don't see this ad :)
The last time they ranked schools was back in 1987 (or something), a WHILE back, so whatever stats you find are completely bogus nowadays...

gatorfan

Howard would be #1.

From the bottom of the list that is!

1992 Gourman Report Rankings
Harvard (If you have an ego go here. They accept the best!)
UCSF - (good reputation but students don't speak highly of their school)
Michigan
Columbia
Penn (In a bad neighborhood)
UCLA (in a very rich neighborhood)
Ohio State
Tufts - (OK place according to one student)
NYU (even the students say "don't come here")
Minnesota- (if you like the cold go here. Good school)
Illinois
Washington (highly prefers in-state residents)
Buffalo (do you know how cold it gets there?)
Temple (Nice school but in a dumpy neighborhood, otherwise a must apply)
Creighton
USC (In bad neighborhood and had a poor CA licensure pass rate in the year 2001)
Marquette
Case Western (spoke with some people and they enjoyed their experience)
Pitt (good experience, but many patients opt for extractions...poor patients)
North Carolina
NOVA - (new school in Florida. One student claims it's nice. Let's wait for them to work out some bugs)
Indiana
Iowa (have new sim lab)
Stony Brook
Baylor (good school, housing is easy to find close by)
San Antonio (good school)
Oregon
Louisville
Boston U. (private and expensive. A must apply for those with shaky stats)
University of Pacific (expensive , but only 3 years! Everyone I know loved it there)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1994 (used for 1997) U.S. News Top 12
San Antonio
North Carolina
Iowa
Michigan
Washington
Buffalo
Alabama
UCSF
Indiana
Maryland
Minnesota
UCLA

http://members.tripod.com/~softballteam/best.html

First of all, that top 12 must be the top Publics for that year, because there are some schools missing if its not.

In that 1992 report, Nova is listed there. I checked Nova's web site and it says that they admitted their charter class in August 1997? :spam:

(I had to put the spam, i havn't seen anyone use it yet!)

all d-school rankings are bogus. don't pay attention to that crap.

RaiderNation said:
all d-school rankings are bogus. don't pay attention to that crap.

I know they are, i just thought it was funny that it listed a school that didn't exist at that time! :laugh:

JRogoff said:
First of all, that top 12 must be the top Publics for that year, because there are some schools missing if its not.

Actually, it is not a list of the top Public schools from that year. That rank considered all the schools. I remember reading that issue of US News b/c that was around the time I was trying to decide which joint-dental program to accept. That was part of the dilemma with those ranks b/c some of the "ego-heavy" $$$ schools didn't make the list and got out ranked by the "measly" public schools making some private schools very unhappy. So no, there aren't schools missing from the list...

griffin04 said:
Actually, it is not a list of the top Public schools from that year. That rank considered all the schools. I remember reading that issue of US News b/c that was around the time I was trying to decide which joint-dental program to accept. That was part of the dilemma with those ranks b/c some of the "ego-heavy" $$$ schools didn't make the list and got out ranked by the "measly" public schools making some private schools very unhappy. So no, there aren't schools missing from the list...

I remember suspecting that it was a list of top publics only, but I found a source (on the internet) that suggested that it was the complete list. Did US News provide methodology or metrics on those? I seem to recall that they don't for some fields.

sxr71 said:
I remember suspecting that it was a list of top publics only, but I found a source (on the internet) that suggested that it was the complete list. Did US News provide methodology or metrics on those? I seem to recall that they don't for some fields.

One of the main reasons the list was abandoned was because the methodology was a bit "shady".

DcS said:
One of the main reasons the list was abandoned was because the methodology was a bit "shady".
So, it was basically a poor survey in terms of misleading standards being reported from individual dental schools? - what exactly ignites dental schools to such research being done again?