Ranking DO schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RizKhan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wanted to get a survey going
If u guys could rank the top 5 DO schools, what would they be
thanx

rizwan

Members don't see this ad.

PCOM
CCOM
UMDNJSOM
NYCOM
NSUCOM

Maybe I'm biased, but I like the northeast schools with their clinical affiliations and tough curriculum.

I guarantee your're going to see at least 10 of the schools, maybe even 12, listed as the "top osteopathic schools" if you ask people here.

1. PCOM
2. TCOM
3. NYCOM
4. UMDNJSOM
5. MSUCOM

Members don't see this ad :)
AZCOM
TCOM
KCOM
CCOM
PCOM

Of the schools I interviewed with I was the most impressed with AZCOM. I think we all will be biased in our opinions since we all have different experiences with different, or maybe even the same schools. For me personally, I left AZCOM with the best feeling!

You are asking for a VERY subjective answer as the top 5 DO schools. I am sure you will get different answers from different people, and I hope that student togetherness is NOT part of the criteria in the ranking, or else AZCOM will be #1 and WesternU will be #19.

You will find objective ranking of ALL MEDICAL SCHOOLS by specialty at the US News magazine. To view the rankings, just access the following links:

<a href="http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/beyond/gradrank/gbmedsp8.htm" target="_blank">web page</a>

<a href="http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/beyond/gradrank/gbmedsp6.htm" target="_blank">web page</a>

Top 5 schools.
Let me tell you this: I was asking that question not too long ago. I am a senior at PSU and I have a super GPA and average MCAT scores (I didn't take it seriously). After talking to my advisor, I decided that osteopathy was the way to go. I got interviewed at all schools I applied to, and accepted to all. I really didn't know what school I wanted to attend. Then I read the best advice I have to date: "There is no best med school; it doesn't exist. There is only the best med school for you." It doesn't matter if you go to Johns Hopkins or Egypt--You are going to be a doctor. When I interviewed at Nova, I just felt like I belonged there. UMDNJSOM seemed to small (~70 students) and PCOM seemed too large (~250). Nova was right in the middle (~180). The school was nice and the students seemed nice too. I just pictured myself there; and, now I am going there.
If you want to go the DO school with the highest average GPA and MCAT, then go there. My advice is to visit the school and then decide which is the best, for you.

1. KCOM
2. KCOM
3. KCOM
4. KCOM
5. KCOM
Guess where I am going next year?

Hey, has anyone noticed that everyone who seriously answered this question listed PCOM as being somewhere in the top 5? Hmmmmmmmmm... :)

All of them are friggin decent schools people.
I know very little about Pikeville, but even that program is dedicated to providing physicians to rural communities, and I would imagine it succeeds.

I would seriously forget the "top 5" crap, DO programs have a hard enough time getting people to remember the names of their schools, let alone what are the top five schools. Hell, Kirksville (KCOM) isprobably older than Ford Motors, but I bet you couldn't find 5 people on the street that know where Kirksville is or what the hell it is known for.

Excellent point Freeeeeedom! In fact, I would take your track a little further and say that everyone's "ranking" of schools will be different depending on their personality, learning style and individual needs.

Research the schools not in the context of what some magazine author thinks, but in how the way that school educates & trains fits in with how you learn most effectively and whether or not the school is in a place that you would want to live.

What about the medical school that was around before America was invented?
Cambridge University England is and always has been the best Medical University. There are more medical Nobel prizes from one department here than all of North America.

Get with the program people and look at the rest of the world.

does time really have so much to do with quality?? So what if a school has been around for a long time-- I was told that rankings are all about $$$$$-- who ever has the most is the best.
i agree with most that ranking will be individual-- and global for dr.dave (even thought the fact that cambridge has been around for so long means next to nothing) It is individual and all about quality! Cambridge has been so successful because of the quality and ability to individually train amazing people

Cambridge is an osteopathic university? I didn't realize that. :)

•••quote:••• What about the medical school that was around before America was invented? ••••Was America ever really invented?

I thought it was more like "discovered."

Didn't they teach you that at Cambridge, Dr. Dave?

JPH
--------

USA! USA! USA!

How the hell did this cambridge propaganda stumble into a thread in an osteopathic forum.

I don't know why AZCOM would be #1 when they don't even have good rotation sites. I have a friend from there who did his all his IM rotations in an outpatient clinic. A lot of them don't even do rotations in a "real" hospital setting until 4th year.

What are these rankings based on? If it is just personal opinion, then each is entitled to her own. I agree with the posters above. Visit or interview at the schools and go to the one that fits you best. One size does not fit all. Remember, the best medical school is the one that accepts you!

Personally, I'm more impressed which residency program a physician trains in than which school he comes from.

You can't get a feel of how good a school is just by the day you interviewed there.

Eric, MSII
COMP

eric714 has a super point!!! if the school can land you the residency of your choice- you've got yourself a top notch institution.

Landing the residency of you want likely has less to do with the school than with your abilities as an individual. I would likely side with the fact you should go to the place you like the best and do your very best there; learning the most you can so that you can apply yourself professionally and competently in your 3rd and 4th years garnering good recommendation letters to be used when interviewing for residencies. Education, in my brief 33 years of life is often more what the individual puts into it than the institution from which the individual is graduated.

Bottom line, you won't get the residency you want if you aren't competent or liked. They gotta like you to be willing to work with you for 3-5 years.

Just a couple of my errant thoughts.

Sweaty