Ranking from different schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

platinumcaps

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've already tried searching, but I couldn't find a thread that answered my question. That AND the annoying waiting time for searches. lol

1. Does the name of the school matter when you apply to specialties? Is it similar to how predents apply to dental school? Most of the time, the name of the college doesn't matter that much as long as you have a solid gpa, DAT scores, shadowing, extracurricular, etc....

2. Is it harder to reach into the top 5% at a more "competitive" school? Is it harder to reach into the top 5% where there is only 40 versus about 200+?

3. Is a GPR necessary to get into specialties?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

your class rank matters more than the name of the school. it will be harder to rank higher at a more "competitive" school since more people are fighting for those A's. GPR is not necessary, though endo usually requires some type of work experience whether it be a GPR, private practice, community clinic, etc.

your class rank matters more than the name of the school. it will be harder to rank higher at a more "competitive" school since more people are fighting for those A's. GPR is not necessary, though endo usually requires some type of work experience whether it be a GPR, private practice, community clinic, etc.

I agree with you in terms of it is harder to have a higher rank at a competitive school, but the school you go to certainly does matter. I know that UNC does quite well in specialties, as do some of the other top schools. You can certainly be successful from any school, though most programs will value where you got your dental school education because they know what level of preparation to expect from you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've already tried searching, but I couldn't find a thread that answered my question. That AND the annoying waiting time for searches. lol

1. Does the name of the school matter when you apply to specialties? Is it similar to how predents apply to dental school? Most of the time, the name of the college doesn't matter that much as long as you have a solid gpa, DAT scores, shadowing, extracurricular, etc....

2. Is it harder to reach into the top 5% at a more "competitive" school? Is it harder to reach into the top 5% where there is only 40 versus about 200+?

3. Is a GPR necessary to get into specialties?

Thanks in advance!

I remember asking similar questions four years ago...and now, after the interview/match process I can at least give you my perspective.

1. The name of the school isn't nearly as important as your scores/class rank. The dental school that I attend is proud of all of the GP's it produces, in other words - they aren't as supportive of those who want to specialize. I did get interviews everywhere I applied and i matched.
2. I don't know - My class rank/GPA is the same as it was in undergrad. If you keep the same study habits you will probably do the same. Study harder=do better, study less=well you catch the trend.
3. GPR - not necessary for other specialities (it may even be detrimental/eg. OMFS - but that's another discussion)

this thread might be interesting: :rolleyes:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=360217

Good luck deciding on a dental school - I recommend going somewhere your fiancee was accepted - :D

thanks for the responses so far.

motown- thanks for the link, but I went through it before. btw, I am sticking to the fiancee. ;)

If a school doesn't rank, will specialty programs look negatively on it? Can't they just look at our GPAs or does no rank=no grades?

Grades are pretty useless with out a class rank for comparison.

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but don't rankless schools still submit a statement if you are top 10% in your class? if that's the case, programs who don't see that on your PASS know very well that you're not in the top 10%.

some schools that don't rank or give grades will not say if you are in the top 10%