Ranking Honesty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slim shanie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious what everyone thought about applicants being honest about where they're ranking a program (either before or after the match/ROL lists are due, doesn't matter).

I have worked with a number of people in a few programs I applied to but they probably won't be my number one.

I assume most people are hesitant to do this but I respect these people a great deal and feel they deserve to know my rationale, especially considering they are strong programs too.

And no, I don't mean giving them a specific number but I've stratified them into 3 groups...

Members don't see this ad.

You're not the first nor the last student/applicant to go through school and apply for residency. Programs respect your decision to pick other programs. Programs love to get feedback on their program. But personally, I've only given feedback when it's solicited or if it comes up in casual conversation.

Most programs I applied to sent an annoymous post-Match survey anyways. If I had something to say, I said it there. Maybe it's because I don't have a guilty conscience passing up a good program in favor of a program that's a better fit. It's business.

Hi, the associate dean at my med school sent out this email regarding the rank list and I think it's good advice. A lot of it is common sense, but it needs to be said. Hope it helps!

Some important reminders as you construct your final NRMP rank list:

1) DO NOT RANK PLACES WHERE YOU DON'T WANT TO GO! - Sounds obvious, but think. If you would rather go unmatched than end up at a particular program, don't rank that program. If you match at the lowest place on your list, your reaction should be "Cool - I'm going to be a _______ (fill in name of specialty)," not "#%@#! - how can I get out of this?" Because you can't. The match is a contract and there can be sanctions on students who break that contract after the match.

2) DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING PROGRAMS TELL YOU ABOUT HOW HIGHLY THEY ARE RANKING YOU - I hate to break it to you, but program directors sometimes promise things they can't deliver. Sometimes they, like, lie. Do NOT base your rank list on anything they tell you regarding your probability of matching. Do NOT, repeat DO NOT, only rank one or two programs because the program directors have told you it's a sure thing. Rank the full list of programs that you would rather go to than go unmatched.

3) DON'T FAIL TO MAKE YOUR LIST LONG ENOUGH - Also sounds obvious, but I'll say it anyway. If you applied and interviewed at a program which will train you well but isn't your top choice, you should still rank it. The failure to submit a long enough list is usually related to #2.