1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

ranking of DO schools

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by ashelley, Nov 15, 2002.

1. ashelley

ashelley New Member

Hi everyone, I know that the prestige and rank of the osteopathic school I attend isn't everything, but I just got into one of my first choice school and have an interview at my other first choice school next tuesday and am hoping to get accepted and have to choose between the two. As of right now they are both equal, but i'm sure the interview may change my mind a bit. If I could determine how they rank within the medical community, however, that might make my decision a little bit easeir. Does anyone have any suggestions about how I find this information?

thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AviatorDoc

AviatorDoc fizz ee at' rist
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This is been discussed in other threads, and I think the conclusion is that no such ranking exists. People will give you their own conjectures, but really, it depends on the person you talk to.

My choice was between TUCOM and KCOM. TUCOM accepted me first. I even had housing & insurance established there before my acceptance to KCOM came through. TUCOM is closer to home, and a whole lot closer to any major airport. It boasts slightly higher entrance scores, and excellent board pass rates. It also opens more doors for being seen at competitive California residencies. Plus, Touro gets the summer between 1st and 2nd yrs off, and KCOM doesn't.

So why the heck did I choose KCOM? There are many reasons, but I based the choice primarily on the recommendations of alumni I knew and their impressions of KCOM's reputation in Arizona, where I want to practice.

Does that rambling make any sense?

4. San_Juan_Sun

San_Juan_Sun Professor of Life
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Unfortunately, I don't think that any ranking exists for DO schools. several DO schools have made the US News top 50 in primary care in recent years. But it's important to realize that the AAMC opposes these ranking for numerous reasons.

That being said, you still have a decision to make. I would assess your goals (where do you want to live, what type of medicine do you want to do, are you interested in research, etc.). Then I would look at financial packages. You can't leave out the school's cirriculums and rotations, and which school appeals more in those regards. And then, in the end, I'd take all of that information, along with what you've felt from your interviews and do three or four things:

1. meditate and pray (if you're the praying type) about it
    2. talk to your loved/trusted ones about it
    3. go with your gut feeling
    4. be happy because you got in, and you're going to be a doctor

Good luck to you, and congrats on having a tough decision.

5. Doctor Peloncito

Doctor Peloncito Family Physician
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What are the schools that you are deciding between?

WannabeDO

6. Ninjaboy

Ninjaboy Taneuma
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Did anyone else find this interesting? Yesterday I had my favorite food for dinner, seafood. Tonight I'm having my favorite food for dinner, hamburgers.:) Actually, congrats on getting into your "first" choice.

7. Doctor Peloncito

Doctor Peloncito Family Physician
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I assume she meant top choice.

8. kiwi219

kiwi219 Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey,

Mich. State U. Coll. of Osteopathic Medicine was ranked #35 on US News and World Report's Top Medical Schools - Primary care

U. of N. Texas Health Sci. Center (Texas Col. of Osteopathic Medicine) was #39

Okla. State U. Coll. of Osteopathic Medicine was #47

Here's the link for those interested:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/med/brief/mdprank_brief.php

Hope that helps!

Maria

9. ItNeverEnds

ItNeverEnds Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Status striving animals. :D

The DO school that ranks #1 is the one that fits you in terms of curriculum, location, student body, etc.

10. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

:clap:

Well said. I agree completely with this post. :)

And if all else fails, remember that PCOM rocks!

;)

11. kumar28

kumar28 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    what's the deal with KCOM? Is that one of the better schools in the med. community. I heard that it's ranked up there in primary care also.

12. AviatorDoc

AviatorDoc fizz ee at' rist
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The deal with KCOM is that it is fairly well-respected in those allopathic communities that have heard of DOs. (There are still areas of the country where osteopathic medicine is almost completely unknown... San Diego is one.) KCOM's rep in Arizona has been strong for some time, especially in the Phoenix area.

The propoganda that they feed us here includes the following: Supposedly, there's a hospital in michigan where KCOM students are allowed to rotate, but MSUCOM isn't.

Kirksville is a great place to be for the first two years. Not many distractions, lots of good places to study, profs who love to teach. Plus, the camradere (sp?) here definitely outweights the competition.

There are definitely a lot of negatives to being here, too, but med school is all about sacrifices.