Ranking of OD schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GatorOD

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this forum so I have a few questions if you don't mind. I was wondering if a ranking of OD schools exsist anywhere (like the one poll for med schools). I will be applying next fall and have begun researching schools. I' m interested in fellowships/scholarships as well so any input on that topic would be helpful. Also, I wanted to add that your support of each other is awsome, I don't know any other pre-optometry students but if they are anything like you guys I'm excited. Thanks for any input! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately GatorOD, there is no ranking of Optometry colleges. There are some that I've heard are "harder" to get in than others, but no formal ranking system. However, if you go to the website of the Association of Schools and Colleges of Optometry at www.opted.org, they do have a student profile of the 2001 enterring class at each of the U.S. Optometry colleges.

The only optometry school ranking that I've seen was released as the Gourman Report (try a google search for it). In that ranking, UCB was number one, followed by OSU, from what I remember. I wouldn't rely too heavily on rankings though. Each school has it's own strengths and it all depends on what you are looking for in an optometry school. As for scholarships, there aren't too many out there for those entering opt school (aside from entrance scholarships offered by optometry schools themselves), but once your're an optometry student, there are numerous awards, grants, etc. that you will become eligible for. Hope this helps.