Ranking of Pharmacy Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yuki

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Is there any ranking for pharmacy schools? I've looked at a lot of places and can't seem to find any.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

What I have heard through the experiences of current and former Pharm students, unlike med school where the competition is fierce to get into a specialty or residency, pharm school tends to be less competitve among students (which I think is a good thing). However the last time I ever saw a ranking for pharm school was the U.S. News and World Report America's Best Graduate Schools 1996 edition. I believe any Pharm School is good. Hell, I would be proud to go to any one of the Pharm School's that would accept me. Sorry but this is how I feel.

Most of the ranking for Pharmacy schools is based on how much funding it receives. Maybe that is important to you, but it is relatively unimportant to me. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
The amount of funding a school receives does somewhat speak to the quality of its faculty. And the students at a school can only be as good as the faculty they are learning from.

http://www.uspharmd.com/rxschoolranking2002.html

Here is the ranking most people refer to, I don't think they have officially collected information since 1998 for political reasons. They don't rank on the basis of funding. Whether the ranking means anything is questionable, but schools always like being on the list and it makes the students at those schools feel better about the school as well. U of Florida for me.

Malissa said:
http://www.uspharmd.com/rxschoolranking2002.html

Here is the ranking most people refer to, I don't think they have officially collected information since 1998 for political reasons. They don't rank on the basis of funding. Whether the ranking means anything is questionable, but schools always like being on the list and it makes the students at those schools feel better about the school as well. U of Florida for me.

I definately think that survey is highly questionable. If you read the fine print, it states that the rankings are based on surveys given to administration, faculty, and students. I'd think that if you were doing a survey like that you would want to rate the school highest to make the school look better. I think that choosing a pharmacy school is a personal decision. Just do your research, almost all school's have the same curriculum with the exception of some being 3 year and some 4. It's not like going to Med school where you need a prestigious school to get a good residency. From what I've heard from current 4th year students, most people who apply get residencies, regardless of the school they attended. And most people get their choice because there are a lot of positions that never even get filled. I'd say that "rank" shouldn't be your top priority, but go somewhere that you think you will enjoy. And above all, go somewhere that you know you could live for 3-4 years. Good luck

I have to say that I disagree with associating funding with quality of faculty educators. In fact, in my experience the more highly educated and involved in reseach the faculty is the worse they teach. While this is certainly not always the case, your more likely to get better teachers and instructors if they are not too highly involved in their field. It doesn't really matter how much you know if you cannot teach and communicate it effectively.

It's an over-generalization to say that all highly funded faculty are poor teachers. There are also lowly funded faculty that stink as well. I'm just pointing out that I agree that funding should definitely figure into the equation of a school's overall quality. To even the playing field, let's take two average quality instructors, one with only 2 publications in some unknown journal, and another with a prosperous lab pounding out tons of cutting edge research. Who would you want for a teacher? I would want someone who truly knows the field to be teaching me the material. Also, when it comes time to get recommendations for jobs and residency, whose letter do you think would be more favorable to have? Funding gives the school reputation, reputation brings the school more applicants, more applicants bring more money, more money means better facilities and equipment for students. Money is important and it does, in many indirect ways, influence the quality of a program.