comet81

10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Does anyone know where I can find out about the rank of pharmacy schools?
I want to know if Midwestern is on top range or not.

fmbzp5

10+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
I just did a google search for pharmacy school rankings. it wasn't in the top 35. I have been told the school has extremely high passage rates of the national exam from their students. I guess instead of ranking, the most important would be if the school offers a pathway towards the type of pharmacy you are interested in.

About the Ads

comet81

10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
I just did a google search for pharmacy school rankings. it wasn't in the top 35. I have been told the school has extremely high passage rates of the national exam from their students. I guess instead of ranking, the most important would be if the school offers a pathway towards the type of pharmacy you are interested in.

As you said, the school have over 99% NAFLEX passing rate. I also heard by their students at interview invitation that very few people fail their courses. I wish I am not one of them.

fmbzp5

10+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
As you said, the school have over 99% NAFLEX passing rate. I also heard by their students at interview invitation that very few people fail their courses. I wish I am not one of them.

as much as I plug their school, I should get an automatic acceptance letter or paid for it but that is another story...

evilolive

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
2005 ranking: http://www.uspharmd.com/student/2005_School_Rank.html

It's determined by research grants (I think it's required for a school to offer PhD programs to be on the list, otherwise it's not listed such as western or midwestern), perceptions of other schools by pharmacy deans, and the number of articles published per institution.

genesis09

15+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
When you look at NAPLEX scores, remember the exam was completely redone May 2005. There was a significant drop in the pass rate.

KARM12

15+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2006
East
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
You won't find Midwestern on any ranking lists because they do not participate in the rankings....

KARM12

15+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2006
East
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
With the reformat of the NAPLEX exam...the passing % rate for MWU is still in the mid 90's. The MPJE is a little lower in the upper 80's. This school generally has above average passing rates for both exams.

evilolive

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
The rankings are only useful depending on what you're looking for. It only tells you how prestigious the school is in terms of academia's views as well as how good the school will be for areas such as research and clinical experience. As you can notice by the top of the list, all of those schools at the top have affiliations with teaching hospitals in the nation and include such rotations as a part off the curriculum. If you're thinking of going into retail or community pharmacy, the rankings probably won't affect you much, if at all. However, getting a PharmD with an emphasis with on the stronger areas of the top schools WILL get you a significant foot in the door for jobs (I guess this can work for retail as well as the schools know that you're of a higher caliber due to more stringent admissions requirements); it will also give you a greater job versatility within the field of pharmacy. This is what the schools say in the interviews :D

http://www.pharmacyschools.com/pharmacy-school-rankings.html
The 2005 U.S. News pharmacy schools rankings are based on ratings provided by academic experts such as faculty, program directors, and deans. These experts were surveyed and asked to judge the academic quality of pharmacy programs based on a five point scale. The submitted scores were averaged, and the school with the highest score made the top of the list, the school with the second highest score was placed in second, and so forth.

Hm. that means that it's based purely off of perception of those people?

comet81

10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
You won't find Midwestern on any ranking lists because they do not participate in the rankings....

As you said, I also heard that the school has higher NAPLEX passing rate from my undergraduate counselor in the State of Maryland.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.