Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Rankings for residency?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by lilycat, Jul 14, 2001.

1. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Ok, so we all hear over and over again how little med school rankings count in the scheme of things. I was just wondering to what extent residency programs are ranked, and if that matters at all?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Hope88

Hope88 Senior Member

Good question...I would be interested in an answer to this one, too...any takers? :)

4. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    I am not aware of any formal rankings of residency programs per se, although the USN&WR "Best 100 Hospitals" can give you some idea.

Probably the most useful ranking will come from the Chair of your department of interest at your school. That is, ask the Chair of Surgery (should you be interested in Gen Surg) which programs he thinks, unbiased, are the best in the country. I have found that while the order might slightly change, there tends to be agreement about which are the best programs within various specialties.

Good luck! :D