Rankings?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Colbalt6

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows a site where the schools that don't make the top 50 are ranked? Also a dependable site for the top fifty. I've received a hard copy from a friend of two lists that disagreed with each other. I've done a search but found only one that was for the top 50 primary care medical schools.

I am interested in the lower ranked schools, since realisticly, therein lies my chance for medical school. Thank you very much.

Lisa

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Lisa, I noticed that you are a Maryland resident. U Maryland will probably be your best bet as your state school, I am a second year there right now, it's a great school. Don't sell your application short, there is a lot that goes into a med school application. Besides, just because a school is "lower" ranked, doesn't mean that it's any easier to get into, if anything, it is often more difficult just because of the sheer number of applications that these schools tend to receive because people perceive them as "easy" to get into. When that many people apply, they get more picky and may not pick students with the best numbers, but pick students based on other charectoristics. One adcom at a top 5 school told me that rankings below the top 5 schools are irrelevant because nobody looks up a school every time they meet someone, they just go by the applicant.

Here is a link for the US News website that has ranked the top 50 schools based on Primary care or Research. You can also search for your school even if it is not ranked to get some valuable information from it.
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/beyond/bcrank.htm

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys really think that going to the 58th versus the 87th ranked med. school will make any difference what so ever? :p

Thank you for the help.

Yes, I hope that it is easier to get into a 78th ranked school than a 58th. I JUST WANT IN! Somewhere! Anywhere! Hey, a girl can hope, huh?

I work hard in school but I also work fulltime (40+ hours) so I am stuck at a 3.4 science and a 3.7 general (assuming I don't blow this semester) and I'm NOT going to be able to raise it (I still have some chem to go and while I am minoring in chem I am NOT good at it). I don't even know what competive is but I assume a 4.0 or pretty dang close. *Sigh*

Yep, I go to UMBC so I figure my best best would be in MD. But I'm going to apply to 25 school and hope REALLY hard.

Thanks again to all. And good luck. There is nothing more wonderful than being a doctor when it is in your blood. I even like studying chemistry. ;-) And that is saying something...

Lisa

Dear Cobalt6,

Hi Lisa. I couldn't help but to reply to your post as I sit here procrastinating. Here is what I think: Judging from the attitude of your posts I think you have a great chance at getting into a medical school (probably even more than one!) Be confident--apply to Hopkins as well!

The *wonderful* application process can sometimes make people think that one must have a 3.99 GPA or above to have a chance in hell to become accepted. This is not the case!!!! For the most part, (as long as your grades are decent, which yours definately are)it is you, as a person who they want to see and know and accept. Your work experience makes you unique and gives you a much more valuable experience than getting a better score in chemistry can ever do.

You remind me a bit of myself when I first started the application process. I worked 40+ hrs/wk and didn't have the time to get the "great" grades. (Then I spent my remaining time hanging out with my close friends.) Even with my less-than-stellar GPA, I interviewed at a good number of schools and had some interesting stories to tell about those 40+ hrs I spent in the real world. As it ended up, the very school I wanted to go to (which some consider a "top" school, I thought I didn't stand a chance with my kinda stinky scores) asked for an interview. During the interview I was asked about my grades, I think it was something like, "Explain your grades." Since I had nothing to lose, I said, "So what? I could have done better, but I would rather spend my free time with my friends." Then the interviewer said, "Cool. It sure is refreshing to hear that!" Anyway, as I blabble on, I go to that school now and am very happy. It is kinda like a big vacation in that I no longer work and I just get to spend time learning.

Lisa, and all other cool individuals: Keep up the good work and be yourself! Apply to a good range of schools (ie, "top ten," "middle teir," and others as well). You will get accepted.

Best wishes,
Jova