Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dazed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where would you rank these in terms of reputation, geography, and non-malignancy all factored in together:
1)UW
2)Wash U
3)Michigan
4)Cornell
5)NYU
6)Northwestern
7)Duke
8)UTSW
9)Vanderbilt

Members don't see this ad.

Dazed said:
Where would you rank these in terms of reputation, geography, and non-malignancy all factored in together:
1)UW
2)Wash U
3)Michigan
4)Cornell
5)NYU
6)Northwestern
7)Duke
8)UTSW
9)Vanderbilt

of the ones i know:
1. NYU (clear #1)
2. wash u
3. cornel
4. NW
5. Duke
6. Vand

Based on recent changes in reputation, I will rank:
1) NYU
2) WU

6) Vanderbilt the last

Dazed said:
1)UW
2)Wash U
3)Michigan
4)Cornell
5)NYU
6)Northwestern
7)Duke
8)UTSW
9)Vanderbilt

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on the criteria that you mentioned, I would rank the programs like this.
I think these are all superb programs and you will be well trained at all of them and set up for great fellowships.

1. Cornell: NYC, great rep
2. UWash: Rainy Seattle, great training
3. WashU: happy residents, St. Louis isn't so bad (i'd rather be in St. L than Durham)
4. Duke: even some Dukies dont like Durham

I would say that these 4 are pretty much interchangeable.

5. NYU: a bit of scut, but NYC
6. Michigan: i dont think its as malignant as people say
7. NW
8. UTSW
9. Vandy

These last 5 are pretty much interchangeable as well.

You might want to take a look at the allo student forum....there's an interesting thread on Cornell housing - residents being forced to move mid-year with little notice, cockroaches and mice infestations...

june015b said:
Based on recent changes in reputation, I will rank:
1) NYU
2) WU

6) Vanderbilt the last

Ok, I'm a bit confused. As a fromer NYU grad, what recent changes in reputation are you referring to that make it rank so highly?

Yeah, I am also interested to know what "recent changes in reputation" lead 2 people to put NYU at the top of the list

for those of you that ranked vandy last, was it because of geography, reputation, or malignancy (or all three)? my husband is between MS3 and MS4 at vandy, and will probably be applying there, among other places. anything we should know about?

manta said:
for those of you that ranked vandy last, was it because of geography, reputation, or malignancy (or all three)? my husband is between MS3 and MS4 at vandy, and will probably be applying there, among other places. anything we should know about?

Vanderbilt is a great medicine program. Vandy is clearly much stronger than NYU and Northwestern. Vanderbilt suffers from not being on a coast (east/west) as well as being in the heart of the southern conservative bible belt.

Dazed said:
1)UW
2)Wash U
3)Michigan
4)Cornell
5)NYU
6)Northwestern
7)Duke
8)UTSW
9)Vanderbilt

Well, the answer depends on whether you're sinlge or married, don't mind the cold weather, looking for a big city, and to an extent what you're interested in going into. Here's a list if you are looking for the best fellowship matching and training, with minor modifications for location

1) Duke- probably the best training on the list and definitely the best IM reputation, esp if you like Cards; durham is great unless you're single, but raleigh is not too far away
2) Michigan- cold, and in a college town, but great match list and training
3) Wash U- In St Louis, not a great city, didn't fill last year... strong basic science
4) Vanderbilt- Nashville? didn't fill last year, but people love it there
5) UW- great if you like the west coast
6) UTSW- heard it's pretty malignant, even after the 80 hrs
7) NWU- great city, great hospital, cushy call schedule comparatively, not as academic as other programs but a solid match list
8) Cornell- it's great name is a little misleading...Columbia still has the best training in NY
9) NYU- haven't heard much about them, but not as highly regarded outside of NY

itsaliger said:
Well, the answer depends on whether you're sinlge or married, don't mind the cold weather, looking for a big city, and to an extent what you're interested in going into. Here's a list if you are looking for the best fellowship matching and training, with minor modifications for location

1) Duke- probably the best training on the list and definitely the best IM reputation, esp if you like Cards; durham is great unless you're single, but raleigh is not too far away
2) Michigan- cold, and in a college town, but great match list and training
3) Wash U- In St Louis, not a great city, didn't fill last year... strong basic science
4) Vanderbilt- Nashville? didn't fill last year, but people love it there
5) UW- great if you like the west coast
6) UTSW- heard it's pretty malignant, even after the 80 hrs
7) NWU- great city, great hospital, cushy call schedule comparatively, not as academic as other programs but a solid match list
8) Cornell- it's great name is a little misleading...Columbia still has the best training in NY
9) NYU- haven't heard much about them, but not as highly regarded outside of NY

Don't think that UTSW is anymore malignant than Duke. I mean at least you don't have to wear a short white coat. People there are great and down to earth but it is front loaded. Some of the best training you will find anywhere.

On reputation, I would rank:

1. Northwestern
2. Duke
3. Michigan
4. Cornell
5. Wash U.
6. UTSW
7. NYU
8. UW
9. Vanderbilt

Members don't see this ad :)
JHUgirl said:

1. Northwestern
2. Duke
3. Michigan
4. Cornell
5. Wash U.
6. UTSW
7. NYU
8. UW
9. Vanderbilt

Are you crazy??? I did an away rotation at Northwestern & was very unimpressed. The residents have very little autonomy & as a result lack the clinical prowess & decision making skills to become good physicians. They do, however, spend a LOT of time on social work & get pretty adept at that (for whatever its worth).
My list:
1) Duke - was incredibly impressed with rounds during the interview trail
2) Michigan - don't think its malignant as many of the posts may indicate
3) UW - excellent clinical experiences
4) UTSW - lots of scut, but also lots of experience
5) NYU - has a reputation for not being not very evidence based, but that is QUICKLY changing - the BEST grand rounds I have seen
6) Vanderbilt - very solid program, loses out because of location
7) Wash U - same problem as vandy - excellent program, poor location
8) Northwestern - as stated previously
9) Cornell - even less autonomy than NW, many attendings simply leave orders in the chart for residents to carry out

JHUgirl said:

1. Northwestern
2. Duke
3. Michigan
4. Cornell
5. Wash U.
6. UTSW
7. NYU
8. UW
9. Vanderbilt[/QUOTE

I would put NW last on this list by far. It is overshadowed by U of Chicago and doesn't get the patient population and autonomy that other top programs get.

Yeah, its a tough call between NW & Cornell for last on the list.

cardiologydude said:
Hahaha...I am amazed with some comments that your guys pulling out of you ass (e.g. Cards man for NYU not being "evidence based"??? Wonder how do you know this without spending one day as a resident at NYU?). Many of these things you had said are really entertaining. The sad thing is that you really believe what you say.

Cardiologyguide - If you were to actually read my post, I said that NYU has a REPUTATION for not being very evidence based & I also stated that I was very impressed with the Grand Rounds & that the reputation** was quickly changing. So, yes, I can speak on the reputation of a program without "spending one day as a resident at NYU." Furthermore, I can speak for the lack of autonomy at Northwestern because I have spent time there, so I don't need to limit my judgement to its reputation.

**Repuation as defined by merriam webster - 1 a : overall quality or character as seen or judged by people in general b : recognition by other people of some characteristic or ability

where do you get these ideas? i love this stuff. you need to realize that there are a lot of amazing hospitals out there. it just seems that people like to bash the hospitals that probably didn't interview them. where do you get the idea that cornell has such little autonomy? rumors? have you been there? i am a resident there and can say that is absolutely NOT true. not very cool to spead false statements.

Cardsman said:
Are you crazy??? I did an away rotation at Northwestern & was very unimpressed. The residents have very little autonomy & as a result lack the clinical prowess & decision making skills to become good physicians. They do, however, spend a LOT of time on social work & get pretty adept at that (for whatever its worth).
My list:
1) Duke - was incredibly impressed with rounds during the interview trail
2) Michigan - don't think its malignant as many of the posts may indicate
3) UW - excellent clinical experiences
4) UTSW - lots of scut, but also lots of experience
5) NYU - has a reputation for not being not very evidence based, but that is QUICKLY changing - the BEST grand rounds I have seen
6) Vanderbilt - very solid program, loses out because of location
7) Wash U - same problem as vandy - excellent program, poor location
8) Northwestern - as stated previously
9) Cornell - even less autonomy than NW, many attendings simply leave orders in the chart for residents to carry out

jimmyjames...I encourage you to do away electives at other institutions to find out what autonomy truly is. It is not waxing philosophical on the appropriate order of a differential in the assessment and plan...it's providing medical care without guidance or assistance, at the very least in the acute setting. If you would like to learn more about this, I encourage you to watch your fellow NYU residents when you rotate at Sloan. They can demonstrate autonomy for you. Sorry to burst your bubble, but the lack of autonomy at Cornell is no secret.

cardiologydude said:
reputation determined by who? 4th year medical students from forum?

Reputation is a funny thing - it takes time to change & develop. Publishing a book in 2001 will not change the reputation of a program overnight, especially in the minds of doctors who have been in academia for 30+ years. My statement that NYU didn't have a repuation for being that evidence based but is quickly changing illustrates the notion that NYU is becoming a more academic & evidence-based hospital. NYU has a repuation in academia (which I have heard from multiple doctors, including my dept. chair) for affording its residents with a lot of autonomy, but as a result, there are less didactics & "traditional academic" medicine. I also believe that NYU is moving toward a more academic environment, and its reputation is beginning to illustrate this shift in paradigm. I guess NYU is also getting a reputation for having residents who misinterpret statements & take them too personally. My statement in no way was meant to knock NYU.

If you knew anything about NYU then you would know that Bellevue is only a small part. Tisch, the VA and Sloan are also places where you spend significant amount of your time. Let me tell you that your BS-ing about NYU not being academic or evidence based is just BS-ing, nothing more, nothing less. Please save us your comments.

Autonomy has nothing to do with didactics. Just quite opposite: if you let somebody freedom then you also have to teach them. Your points are so lame.

NYU has at least 2 hours/day of didactics and sometimes even more.

This is getting absolutely ridiculous. Am I speaking a different language? Those who continue to get offended at my statement about NYU either don't understand what the meaning of "reputation" is, are not reading my posts fully, or are just way too sensitive. I am assuming I am referring to the outspoken minority of SDN readers, so I am not going to carry this conversation any further.