Rankings

locks

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2004
    In these forums, people are always saying number two school, top ten school, etc...are these based on the USNEWS and World Report rankings, which are either research or primary care rankings? Does another source rank the schools differently??

patzan

Waiting for March 20th
    7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Mar 4, 2004
    In a van down by the river
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      locks said:
      In these forums, people are always saying number two school, top ten school, etc...are these based on the USNEWS and World Report rankings, which are either research or primary care rankings? Does another source rank the schools differently??

You can do it yourself, but it might not be as accurate. ;)
      EDIT: Not to say that US News is terribly accurate themselves.

About the Ads

UT_mikie

10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Feb 1, 2005
      1. Medical Student
        Supposedly ranking schools is a rather pointless activity according to aamc.

http://www.academicmedicine.org/cgi/content/abstract/76/10/985

But then again thats something only those attending schools that didn't make the list say. People and faculty in the top 10 are probably all about it. :rolleyes: And actually, why shouldn't they be? They worked hard for it so they deserve bragging rights.

Anyway except for the really competitve residencies I doubt it really matters where you go. Once the point of ranking the top 2% of all US educational institutions anyway.

Code Brown

Low man on the totem pole
        10+ Year Member
        7+ Year Member
        Jun 21, 2004
        Florida
        1. Attending Physician
          UT_mikie said:
          Supposedly ranking schools is a rather pointless activity according to aamc.

http://www.academicmedicine.org/cgi/content/abstract/76/10/985

But then again thats something only those attending schools that didn't make the list say. People and faculty in the top 10 are probably all about it. :rolleyes: And actually, why shouldn't they be? They worked hard for it so they deserve bragging rights.

Anyway except for the really competitve residencies I doubt it really matters where you go. Once the point of ranking the top 2% of all US educational institutions anyway.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have access to this article from their school account? If so, could you post it here?

Larsitron

Mac Addict
          10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          Feb 4, 2005
          Rochester, NY
          1. Medical Student
            My school has it. I'll try and get it tomorrow. I don't feel okay posting it given that its copyrighted material, but if people want to PM me to ask for it, I'll send them a .pdf of it. I don't know why the latter is acceptable to me the former isn't, but that's a distinction that I'm going to make.

llort

10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Dec 14, 2004
            Not California
              Larsitron said:
              My school has it. I'll try and get it tomorrow. I don't feel okay posting it given that its copyrighted material, but if people want to PM me to ask for it, I'll send them a .pdf of it. I don't know why the latter is acceptable to me the former isn't, but that's a distinction that I'm going to make.

dont be such a Nancy boy, Larsitron.

About the Ads
              This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.