PhD/PsyD RANT: Arguing with therapists with no research background is like screaming at the ocean and begging the waves to subside

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychSupreme

Ph.D. Student | M.A. Clinical Psychology
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry, just a meaningless rant. I just cannot get over how difficult it is to make a basic, conservative claim on Reddit and get certain users to understand how basic standards of evidence work. I’ll give everyone one guess the topic of discussion: EMDR. The cult of EMDR is HUGE on the Reddit therapy subs and basically closed off to any discussion whatsoever of the evidence base. Anyway, rant over.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Sorry, just a meaningless rant. I just cannot get over how difficult it is to make a basic, conservative claim on Reddit and get certain users to understand how basic standards of evidence work. I’ll give everyone one guess the topic of discussion: EMDR. The cult of EMDR is HUGE on the Reddit therapy subs and basically closed off to any discussion whatsoever of the evidence base. Anyway, rant over.

Why are you wasting your time on there with this?

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your first mistake was going online to debate folks. Don't waste your time. People are free to think what they want, as are you. In the end, you end up being the one getting frustrated and wasting your precious free time debating folks. State what you want, then leave it be. They are free to integrate it or not.

Reactions: 6 users
Your first mistake was going online to debate folks. Don't waste your time. People are free to think what they want, as are you. In the end, you end up being the one getting frustrated and wasting your precious free time debating folks. State what you want, then leave it be. They are free to integrate it or not.
Absolutely fair point. Normally I start out having a civil discussion with someone and then someone else hops in and derails everything, and we all know it's sometimes hard to accept that there's no changing some minds. Have a peaceful evening.

Reactions: 1 users
Hrp42ph.png

• Haha
Reactions: 21 users
yeah, this is what happens to me every time someone tries to impress me by telling me they read The Body Keeps The Score, and I need to take a deep breath in first. If only we could market other therapies the way that EMDR was successfully marketed!

Reactions: 4 users
yeah, this is what happens to me every time someone tries to impress me by telling me they read The Body Keeps The Score, and I need to take a deep breath in first. If only we could market other therapies the way that EMDR was successfully marketed!
It’s got catchy initials maybe? Heck, DBT is probably more popular cause it’s easy to remember than because of Linehan’s research and development and it’s efficacy. I should start up a neuro-DBT clinic because adding neuro to everything means I can add 20% more revenue right off the bat. Maybe neuro-EMDR and add in a few brain scans and I’ll be rich.

What is funny is that some local practitioners have paid a lot of money for TMS machines and are having a tough time marketing them. They were sold on the idea that mental health is an epidemic and that they’ve got the cure. I think TMS does have some solid efficacy for treatment resistant depression, but when you start screening out the mild to moderate depression who either spontaneously remit or benefit greatly with CBT and then you get to the moderate to severe who also tend to benefit from therapy and also respond more to antidepressant, then you get a really small market. Like I told one of the NPs (family practice) who bought one of the machines, I’ll gladly refer a patient who needs it, but my patients all seem to be improving without it. Now a psychiatrist on a bigger city who has connections to inpatient, that machine might make sense. Not sure why I went off on this rant other than one rant about ignorance in our field begets another. 😁

Reactions: 3 users
We mostly have no idea about how things like depression come about. Ignorance breeds frauds, and there is a grifter to fill every gap in knowledge.

Reactions: 1 user
I had this argument once years ago. I learned that you cannot ask open-minded questions to people that do not want to be open-minded. However, she was really pretty and I was single. What's your excuse?

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
People love tools. Patients and clinicians.
Our program director would say, “you are the instrument”. I guess he was calling us tools! I don’t hear that concept much, but it makes so much sense to me. I am not the right tool for every patient or psychological issue, but there are times when I clearly am and developing the interpersonal skills and techniques to deliver techniques effectively might even be more important than delivering effective techniques. That sentence seems a bit misleading and I could see bad clinicians using it to justify incompetent approaches; however, inherent in the idea of being an effective instrument of psychological practice is a foundation in empirical reasoning to guide that practice.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That book and its author are the bane of my existence in the therapy and therapy-adjacent subreddits.

Reactions: 5 users
As someone who has wasted a ton of time and built a lot of frustration debating people online (and in this forum), I've recently adopted the "drop and dip" and rule. Basically, unless I am fairly certain someone is arguing in good faith, I say my part and don't reply. It's useless trying to debate someone online, especially WisNeuro :p.

Also, I'm beginning to think a lot about how online interactions are altering or priming cognition into basically cognitive distortions. Basically hash tags, reduced characters, using up/down votes, etc., are increasing categorical thinking, black and white, labeling, etc. Upvotes/downvotes incentivize positive reinforcement. This serves to reduce nuance and I worry they're actually training our brains into having more maladaptive cognitive distortions. Sorry, I'm dealing with a hell of a migraine today.

Last edited:
As someone who has wasted a ton of time and built a lot of frustration debating people online (and in this forum), I've recently adopted the "drop and dip" and rule. Basically, unless I am fairly certain someone is arguing in good faith, I say my part and don't reply. It's useless trying to debate someone online, especially WisNeuro :p.

Also, I'm beginning to think a lot about how online interactions are altering or priming cognition into basically cognitive distortions. Basically hash tags, reduced characters, using up/down votes, etc., are increasing categorical thinking, black and white, labeling, etc. This serves to reduce nuance and I worry they're actually training our brains into having more maladaptive cognitive distortions. Sorry, I'm dealing with a hell of a migraine today. But, I may make a post about this when I'm feeling better - let's see if I need some more rizatriptan in a half hour. This one's got me feeling a little dizzy.
I would also add that social media and online environments are a petri dish for group polarization. Anonymity also encourages the extremism even more. I see the black-and-white thinking/extreme beliefs often in social media, even with topics that I assume are generally non-controversial.

For the folks who don’t have a background in research, it seems like just seeing that something has some evidence that supports it is sufficient for some of them, rather than comparing treatments, examining methodology, questioning the mechanisms of action and considering confounds, etc…..perhaps because they’ve never been trained as scientists?

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
I guess this is as good a time as any to also mention that Reddit is a hotbed for the cult of Carl Jung lol

• Haha
I guess this is as good a time as any to also mention that Reddit is a hotbed for the cult of Carl Jung lol
I was always a big fan of Jung, then I became a psychologist.
I would also add that social media and online environments are a petri dish for group polarization. Anonymity also encourages the extremism even more. I see the black-and-white thinking/extreme beliefs often in social media, even with topics that I assume are generally non-controversial.

For the folks who don’t have a background in research, it seems like just seeing that something has some evidence that supports it is sufficient for some of them, rather than comparing treatments, examining methodology, questioning the mechanisms of action and considering confounds, etc…..perhaps because they’ve never been trained as scientists?
Exactly. A psychologist should be first and foremost a scientist. Regardless of what we specialize in, that is our common bond and foundation. The myriad other therapists out there don’t have that and it is part of what sets us apart still. I was talking to my front office staff today about why my schedule keeps getting full and I can’t get anyone into the counselors in training. Although she doesn’t know the difference really herself and can’t articulate it, her response was a pretty emphatic, like duh it’s obvious. People recognize the expertise that we bring and sure there will be people who are susceptible to flim-flammery, but many people have enough intuition and common sense to get the difference. Like I told my wife as we were trying to figure some of this out, becuase I do want to market the newer people bette, I guess you don’t need to be an expert chef to know the food tastes better in one restaurant over another.

Facebook, too. Facebook is FULL of people who haven't formally studied psychology who love Freud and Jung and Lacan and bash CBT (btw, most of the people who love Freud seem to be men. GO FIGURE).

As someone who loves getting into dumb internet arguments, especially about PTSD and evidence-based standards, I empathize with the OP. Also, I would argue that EMDR people's refusal to consider evidence-based practice isn't just exclusive to Reddit. ;) I've mentioned it here, but I learned that concerns were actually raised about EMDR and ethics due to the high cost of training when it's just Fancy Exposure. I tend to focus on that when arguing about EMDR.

Btw, have you brought up that van der Kolk is kind of a terrible person who can't even get a university affiliation?

Edit: Oh god, I just saw that there's a whole CPTSD subreddit.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Facebook, too. Facebook is FULL of people who haven't formally studied psychology who love Freud and Jung and Lacan and bash CBT (btw, most of the people who love Freud seem to be men. GO FIGURE).

As someone who loves getting into dumb internet arguments, especially about PTSD and evidence-based standards, I empathize with the OP. Also, I would argue that EMDR people's refusal to consider evidence-based practice isn't just exclusive to Reddit. ;) I've mentioned it here, but I learned that concerns were actually raised about EMDR and ethics due to the high cost of training when it's just Fancy Exposure. I tend to focus on that when arguing about EMDR.

Btw, have you brought up that van der Kolk is kind of a terrible person who can't even get a university affiliation?

Edit: Oh god, I just saw that there's a whole CPTSD subreddit.
Don’t go to r/therapists or r/askatherapist and express any opinion that EMDR is basically just basic exposure therapy with a bunch of psychobabble added in to fluff it up. You will be cratered with downvotes and have people argue with literally every period you misplace in your long, well-sourced reply citing meta-analyses showing your point. It’s wild how certain tx techniques create a cultish following like this. Similarly, r/askpsychology is a hotbed for Jungian and Lacanian analysis cultists who take every opportunity they get to dismiss CBT as “shallow” and “reductionist,” which I find to be the most asinine criticism of CBT one could possibly muster. Anyone who thinks CBT is “shallow” simply doesn’t have a beyond-surface-level understanding of CBT. The r/psychologystudents sub is also quickly being taken over by students who downvote anyone with a postgraduate education who tells them that Jung’s primary value is historical. I got downvoted yesterday on a thread for telling someone that they should focus less on reading Jung and more on reading textbooks and journal articles if they wanted to get a better understanding of contemporary psychological science. Multiple people asked me if I had ever “read Jung” or had only ever “read *about* Jung.” Ironically, I did read some Jung in my master’s program because my NYC school made us take a contemporary psychoanalysis class (since NYC is one remaining hotbed of analysis in the US, along with Boston and DC). I went to all their profiles out of curiosity, and all of them are regular posters on r/Jung or r/psychoanalysis, and none of them have or mention any graduate-level psychology or therapy training. One of them even said they were “awaiting my magisterial takedown of psychoanalysis, and any *proof* that analysis isn’t an accurate model of behavior.” It’s just maddening that too many people, some of whom are practicing midlevel professionals, do not understand basic standards of evidence and cannot critically evaluate scientific sources and studies. Don’t get me wrong…I’ve seen some less-than-scientific psychologists and some amazing midlevels, but the variation seems to be FAAAAR greater for the latter category, and the former category is generally a much higher mean competency, with less wild variability. Anyway, looks like I’m ranting again…

Last edited:
  • Sad
Don’t go to r/therapists or r/askatherapist and express any opinion that EMDR is basically just basic exposure therapy with a bunch of psychobabble added in to fluff it up. You will be cratered with downvoted and have people argue with literally every period you misplace in your long, well-sourced reply citing meta-analyses showing your point. It’s wild how certain tx techniques create a cultish following like this. Similarly, r/askpsychology is a hotbed for Jungian and Lacanian analysis cultists who take every opportunity they get to dismiss CBT as “shallow” and “reductionist,” which I find to be the most asinine criticism of CBT one could possibly muster. Anyone who thinks CBT is “shallow” simply doesn’t have a beyond-surface-level understanding of CBT. The r/psychologystudents sub is also quickly being taken over by students who downvote anyone with a postgraduate education who tells them that Jung’s primary value is historical. I got downvoted yesterday on a thread for telling someone that they should focus less on reading Jung and more on reading textbooks and journal articles if they wanted to get a better understanding of contemporary psychological science. Multiple people asked me if I had ever “read Jung” or had only ever “read *about* Jung.” Ironically, I did read some Jung in my master’s program because my NYC school made us take a contemporary psychoanalysis class (since NYC is one remaining hotbed of analysis in the US, along with Boston and DC). I go to all their profiles out of curiosity, and all of them are regular posters on r/Jung or r/psychoanalysis, and none of them have or mention any graduate-level psychology or therapy training. One of them even said they were “awaiting my magisterial takedown of psychoanalysis, and any *proof* that analysis isn’t an accurate model of behavior.” It’s just maddening that too many people, some of whom are practicing midlevel professionals, do not understand basic standards of evidence and cannot critically evaluate scientific sources and studies. Don’t get me wrong…I’ve seen some less-than-scientific psychologists and some amazing midlevels, but the variation seems to be FAAAAR greater for the latter category, and the former category is generally a much higher mean competency, with less wild variability. Anyway, looks like I’m ranting again…

Yeah, that seems like a waste of time then since Reddit hides downvoted posts anyway. Guess I'll stick to the subs for my niche hobbies and interests!

Yup, the Facebook people also called CBT reductionist and shallow, or my favorite, argued that it's pro-capitalism and anti-worker. I ended up leaving the group because it just made me too mad.

A while back here I posted a Twitter thread from Patricia Resick talking about how the EMDR people did so much better at marketing than the CPT people. She said that her mistake was assuming that the science would speak for itself.

Edit: I checked out r/psychotherapy and r/askpsychology and no way in heck am I taking and sending them a picture of my license or diploma, even if I can block out the identifying info.

Yeah, that seems like a waste of time then since Reddit hides downvoted posts anyway. Guess I'll stick to the subs for my niche hobbies and interests!

Yup, the Facebook people also called CBT reductionist and shallow, or my favorite, argued that it's pro-capitalism and anti-worker. I ended up leaving the group because it just made me too mad.

A while back here I posted a Twitter thread from Patricia Resick talking about how the EMDR people did so much better at marketing than the CPT people. She said that her mistake was assuming that the science would speak for itself.

Edit: I checked out r/psychotherapy and r/askpsychology and no way in heck am I taking and sending them a picture of my license or diploma, even if I can block out the identifying info.
Yeah I don’t go on r/psychotherapy because of the weird “send us your license” thing

Yeah I don’t go on r/psychotherapy because of the weird “send us your license” thing

I am less than impressed. It's definitely a lot of "fad" practitioners who pick up pseudo-scientific practices and clearly don't know any better. I've also never seen such terrible advice when it comes to legal matters. Much of the time, people advise to do the exact opposite of the course of action to manage your liability. It's kind of amateur hour there, and no longer makes you wonder how people get brought up on board complaints as often as they do.

(btw, most of the people who love Freud seem to be men. GO FIGURE).

If you don't support a cocaine addled, phallic smoking failed neurologist who committed suicide, your electra complex has not been incorporated into your ego.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Don’t go to r/therapists or r/askatherapist and express any opinion that EMDR is basically just basic exposure therapy with a bunch of psychobabble added in to fluff it up. You will be cratered with downvotes and have people argue with literally every period you misplace in your long, well-sourced reply citing meta-analyses showing your point. It’s wild how certain tx techniques create a cultish following like this. Similarly, r/askpsychology is a hotbed for Jungian and Lacanian analysis cultists who take every opportunity they get to dismiss CBT as “shallow” and “reductionist,” which I find to be the most asinine criticism of CBT one could possibly muster. Anyone who thinks CBT is “shallow” simply doesn’t have a beyond-surface-level understanding of CBT. The r/psychologystudents sub is also quickly being taken over by students who downvote anyone with a postgraduate education who tells them that Jung’s primary value is historical. I got downvoted yesterday on a thread for telling someone that they should focus less on reading Jung and more on reading textbooks and journal articles if they wanted to get a better understanding of contemporary psychological science. Multiple people asked me if I had ever “read Jung” or had only ever “read *about* Jung.” Ironically, I did read some Jung in my master’s program because my NYC school made us take a contemporary psychoanalysis class (since NYC is one remaining hotbed of analysis in the US, along with Boston and DC). I went to all their profiles out of curiosity, and all of them are regular posters on r/Jung or r/psychoanalysis, and none of them have or mention any graduate-level psychology or therapy training. One of them even said they were “awaiting my magisterial takedown of psychoanalysis, and any *proof* that analysis isn’t an accurate model of behavior.” It’s just maddening that too many people, some of whom are practicing midlevel professionals, do not understand basic standards of evidence and cannot critically evaluate scientific sources and studies. Don’t get me wrong…I’ve seen some less-than-scientific psychologists and some amazing midlevels, but the variation seems to be FAAAAR greater for the latter category, and the former category is generally a much higher mean competency, with less wild variability. Anyway, looks like I’m ranting again…
I think it's best we stay off such platforms, professionally. I realize that there is a natural "righting reflex" and all, but we need to get over that ****.

Social networking sites have become a runaway train and are a cesspool of misinformation and idiotic/impulsive posting and behavior.... and have been so for many years now. I actually think it is alot of what is wrong with sleep, society, and a seeming increase in impulsive/idiot/childish behavior from grown adults. I mean what kind of grown-ass man spends his time making derogatory or conspiracy oriented "memes" for the interwebs is beyond me?

Keep in mind that prior to all these "social internet sites" your mentally aberrant but functional aunt/uncle/cousin were not heard, not connected, and generally just shunned and/or referred for psychiatric evaluation. But now they have "friends" and a community that reinforce their illogical and aberrant beliefs. This is probably not a good thing for mental illness (delusion) or those genetically predisposed to mentally aberrant thinking/behavior.

Last edited:
Or just get used to downvotes and learn to let the argument go when it gets to be too time wasting. There's a story I read where everyone in the comments says that a main character has PTSD when he doesn't qualify (his index event isn't criterion A) and I just point it out. Every. Single. Time. Do I get downvotes? Yup. Will I stop? Nope.

• Haha
Or just get used to downvotes and learn to let the argument go when it gets to be too time wasting. There's a story I read where everyone in the comments says that a main character has PTSD when he doesn't qualify (his index event isn't criterion A) and I just point it out. Every. Single. Time. Do I get downvotes? Yup. Will I stop? Nope.
What are "downvotes? exactly? Like a "boo" or something?

Last edited:
What are "downvotes?" Like..."boo?"

It's a way to signify agreement or disagreement with a comment. Upvotes mean agree, downvotes mean disagree. On Reddit, if you get a certain amount of downvotes, your comment is automatically hidden. Other users can see how many upvotes and downvotes you have as well and on Reddit you have this thing called "karma" that is impacted by downvotes and upvotes.

It's a way to signify agreement or disagreement with a comment. Upvotes mean agree, downvotes mean disagree. On Reddit, if you get a certain amount of downvotes, your comment is automatically hidden. Other users can see how many upvotes and downvotes you have as well and on Reddit you have this thing called "karma" that is impacted by downvotes and upvotes.
Ackshually (ahem), Reddit only displays the net of up- and downvotes. I’m sure this is what you meant, but I wanted to provide more context. A post could have 1k upvotes and 1.1k downvoted and it will show as -100, so there’s actually no way to even see the balance of votes. You wouldn’t be able to see that the crowd is split ~50/50, only that 100 more people disagree than agree. Could be 0:100, could be 1k:1.1k…no way of knowing. So yeah, the systems sucks. And I agree that online forums do help breed tribalism, but I also think there’s some room for professionals to have discussions of evidence and research on these forums. I’m not sure what the path forward is, but with social media comes the need for professionals who are savvy to provide an outlet for *good* information to counter all the bad information. Some physicians have done a good job of this on YouTube (Doctor Mike, e.g.). I also agree that there comes a point where the argument is either clearly not in good faith or has stalled completely and then I just have to bow out.

That's not what "Karma" means.

Is all this stuff something that is important to you??? I'm sorry. I just don't get it.

That's not what "Karma" means.

Is all this stuff something that is important to you??? I'm sorry. I just don't get it.
Are imaginary internet points important to me? No. Is interacting with online proliferation of misinformation important to me? To the degree that I think I may, in any given scenario, have a positive impact, yes. I’m aware that this extent is often quite limited, hence why I made it clear that this thread was just a rant to vent steam…I am all too painfully aware that changing minds on the internet is an oft-impossible task.

Last edited:
Are imaginary internet points important to me? No. Is interacting with online proliferation of misinformation important to me? To the degree that I think I may, in any give scenario, have a positive impact, yes.
Why is this so important to you? The world go round, a go round etc., etc.

I would encourage you to look into the philosophy of "detached compassion."

Last edited:
Where I am everyone is now offering hypnosis. I have patients jumping from EMDR to hypnosis to IV vitamin therapy. Oh and ketamine

Why is this so important to you? The world go round, a go round etc., etc.

I would encourage you to look into the philosophy of "detached compassion."
I try to put energy into where I think it can have effect and the rest of it I just really don’t care. Oh you are destroying yourself by x, y, and a behaviors and don’t see it as a problem? Good luck with that. Please pay at the front desk on your way out the door. Nope, don’t really think you need another appointment. Is that aligned with detached compassion at all? Or am I missing the compassion part?

Are imaginary internet points important to me? No. Is interacting with online proliferation of misinformation important to me? To the degree that I think I may, in any given scenario, have a positive impact, yes. I’m aware that this extent is often quite limited, hence why I made it clear that this thread was just a rant to vent steam…I am all too painfully aware that changing minds on the internet is an oft-impossible task.

I get it. At some point I just consider the impact it would have on me. I'm fine with downvotes, but sometimes internet arguments end up stressing me out and that is not worth it at all.

Also, thanks for explaining the Reddit upvote/downvote system more thoroughly!

Divergent opinion:

I think that debate is an incredible way to learn.

If the debate stays on an academic or intellectual level: you get to learn, prepare for future occurrences of this type of interaction, and gain resources such as references.

If the debate devolves to an emotional level: you learn that there is either limited basis to opposing viewpoints, or that the person doesn't know what they are talking about. Which is a decent preparation for future clinical occurrences.

Divergent opinion:

If the debate stays on an academic or intellectual level: you get to learn, prepare for future occurrences of this type of interaction, and gain resources such as references.

If the debate devolves to an emotional level: you learn that there is either limited basis to opposing viewpoints, or that the person doesn't know what they are talking about. Which is a decent preparation for future clinical occurrences.
Not sure if that is a divergent opinion or if others here are making the point that reasoned debate doesn’t happen on Reddit. Haven‘t spent much time on Reddit so not sure how productive or unproductive that would be. I can say that I enjoy the debates on this forum because they frequently seem productive and have learned a great deal from them. I often have an opinion counter to others on here and when someone challenges that perspective, that is when I get the opportunity to learn. I would posit that if my goal was to convince others that my perspective on various topics was right, I would have probably become frustrated and left long ago. I engage mainly to learn and to share my perspective. Whether or not someone gains insight from what I bring or challenges it is not really something I take personally. Sure, there is a narcissistic part of me that seems to think that I would be happier if I received constant praise for every brilliant thing I say, but I am thinking that might not be the most healthy of schemas. Maybe it’s my wounded inner child. 😉 I am so glad that construct has become less popular. Helps me be less frustrated with current pop psychology.

Divergent opinion:

I agree but only if both sides are debating in good faith.

Just want to be clear that the “debate” which sparked this rant thread was not one in which I think the other party was arguing emotionally or in bad faith. It was simply a debate in which the person was seemingly unable to properly grapple with research evidence and critically evaluate why a yr 2000s paper with a sample of N=20ish healthy controls showing increased blood flow during EMDR w bilateral stimulation vs EMDR w/o bilateral stimulation didn’t prove that bilateral stimulation has any mechanism of action in a therapeutic sense. When confronted with a 2020 meta-analysis of many, many studies of EMDR which showed that bilateral stimulation wasn’t differentially effective when only low-bias and large samples are accounted for, the person (a midlevel therapist) was unable to understand why that evidence was stronger than her two citations, both of which were among the “low-N, high bias” studies mentioned in the meta. So while we have gotten derailed a bit, the original purpose of this rant was just express frustration that there are working therapists who don’t have any apparent competency to understand research, and not so much about people arguing in bad faith or with emotional reasoning.

• Sad
Just want to be clear that the “debate” which sparked this rant thread was not one in which I think the other party was arguing emotionally or in bad faith. It was simply a debate in which the person was seemingly unable to properly grapple with research evidence and critically evaluate why a yr 2000s paper with a sample of N=20ish healthy controls showing increased blood flow during EMDR w bilateral stimulation vs EMDR w/o bilateral stimulation didn’t prove that bilateral stimulation has any mechanism of action in a therapeutic sense. When confronted with a 2020 meta-analysis of many, many studies of EMDR which showed that bilateral stimulation wasn’t differentially effective when only low-bias and large samples are accounted for, the person (a midlevel therapist) was unable to understand why that evidence was stronger than her two citations, both of which were among the “low-N, high bias” studies mentioned in the meta. So while we have gotten derailed a bit, the original purpose of this rant was just express frustration that there are working therapists who don’t have any apparent competency to understand research, and not so much about people arguing in bad faith or with emotional reasoning.
Yet another example of why teaching reasonably advanced statistics and research design is so important, the representations and practices of PsyD programs notwithstanding.

Yet another example of why teaching reasonably advanced statistics and research design is so important, the representations and practices of PsyD programs notwithstanding.
Do MSW and counseling master’s programs teach any stats beyond t-tests, or methods beyond “This is a study. It’s good to have studies.”?

Do MSW and counseling master’s programs teach any stats beyond t-tests, or methods beyond “This is a study. It’s good to have studies.”?
This is not to bash on MSW programs or students, but in my time in training, I've worked with MSW postgrads who had little to no understanding of t-tests. I imagine they may have had intro stats at the undergraduate level but had forgotten most of it by that point.

All that to say, the research and statistical training, unfortunately, appears to be very limited. Or I've just have some very biased/extreme anecdotal experiences.

Before arguing with any adherent of EMDR about the scientific basis of the approach you should buy them a purple hat as a gift.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I try to put energy into where I think it can have effect and the rest of it I just really don’t care. Oh you are destroying yourself by x, y, and a behaviors and don’t see it as a problem? Good luck with that. Please pay at the front desk on your way out the door. Nope, don’t really think you need another appointment. Is that aligned with detached compassion at all? Or am I missing the compassion part?
1000%

Some people just aren't ready for therapy or, stated differently, aren't 'in the market' for the 'service' (professional psychotherapy) I'm offering to them. That's okay.

Now if only I could get the VA to understand that reality, lol.

• Haha
Divergent opinion:

"Never argue with an idiot. He will just drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."
-Mark Twain?