Rant: VSAS / Away Rotation pain in the rear

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Richspiders07

User - peruser
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really wish it wasn't such a pain to plan an away rotation. The whole VSAS nonsense kills me, and it's a pretty decent sized chunk of change I wasn't planning on spending. For some of these schools, it's basically like you are already applying for residency. Transcript + CV + Board Scores + PS + letter of rec? ARE YOU SERIOUS?

What's with having a different immunization form for every school? The medical records people at Student Health are going to HATE ME. Why can't I just get that form taken care of in the unlikely case that one of these rotations actually pans out? Or why can't there be a way to upload that information from our home school just like our transcript?!?

I really just want to just forget about it and hope my application is strong enough without a SLOR from an away. Like would be SO much simpler...

Members don't see this ad.

try being a DO and not having access to that system at all. I have to get all this stuff together through my school for every rotation I apply to...believe me its likely harder.
Total BS that we are not allowed to use the system or have the option to...

It used to be worse before VSAS, so take it easy. And you don't really really need that away rotation if you're a well-rounded student otherwise.

Members don't see this ad :)
The whining, it hurts my ears! Also, agree with above. It was a nightmare to try and coordinate applications prior to VSAS. Each school had their own application form (or 4) that had to be filled out in addition to its own health form. Not to mention that some schools charged $100 non-refundable "application" fees.

I really wish it wasn't such a pain to plan an away rotation. The whole VSAS nonsense kills me, and it's a pretty decent sized chunk of change I wasn't planning on spending. For some of these schools, it's basically like you are already applying for residency. Transcript + CV + Board Scores + PS + letter of rec? ARE YOU SERIOUS?

What's with having a different immunization form for every school? The medical records people at Student Health are going to HATE ME. Why can't I just get that form taken care of in the unlikely case that one of these rotations actually pans out? Or why can't there be a way to upload that information from our home school just like our transcript?!?

I really just want to just forget about it and hope my application is strong enough without a SLOR from an away. Like would be SO much simpler...
Uh, I had to get hardcopies of all of those forms and more for my away site. And I had to do it three states away from my home institution. I will say two things:

1) The med records folks didn't hate me - they expected my requests because they process these every year.
2) Being nice and polite to them made it much, much easier and faster.

I too am dealing with VSAS (it is a pain), as well as applying to some programs that do not deal with VSAS (which seems to be the case for the majority of the CA programs, many of which are not even accepting applications yet). I talked to my registrar and the head of the ED residency program at my school, and couldn't get a straight answer. Is it ok to apply to multiple aways for the same month and then cancel whatever you get that isn't your top choice?

It is SUPER confusing. For example, I want to do an away in July. But many of the programs won't notify you that you've gotten in until mid-May, but they say on their website "if you cancel an away within 60 days we will send a letter to your dean", so of course the math doesn't work there if you want to apply to multiple aways and then cancel one. But if you just apply to one, then if you don't get it you've missed the deadlines at every other place. Very annoying. Anyone one else running into this problem and have a solution?

I too am dealing with VSAS (it is a pain), as well as applying to some programs that do not deal with VSAS (which seems to be the case for the majority of the CA programs, many of which are not even accepting applications yet). I talked to my registrar and the head of the ED residency program at my school, and couldn't get a straight answer. Is it ok to apply to multiple aways for the same month and then cancel whatever you get that isn't your top choice?

It is SUPER confusing. For example, I want to do an away in July. But many of the programs won't notify you that you've gotten in until mid-May, but they say on their website "if you cancel an away within 60 days we will send a letter to your dean", so of course the math doesn't work there if you want to apply to multiple aways and then cancel one. But if you just apply to one, then if you don't get it you've missed the deadlines at every other place. Very annoying. Anyone one else running into this problem and have a solution?
I applied early enough it didn't matter, but I'd apply to 1-2 in the same month, or 3-4 in the same range of months, and cancel the ones that didn't work out ASAP. If you get things submitted soon, you really won't have to worry about bumping into that 60 day limit.

I have no idea what this VSAS deal is but it sounds like another medical school nightmare. When I was a 4th yr medical student, I decided to do an away rotation somewhere, called the undergraduate medical education coordinator, told her I'd like to rotate in October, she said cool, and then faxed me an application form which i returned along w a copy of my immunization records. I did the rotation, it was awesome, and now I am a resident there.

I have no idea what this VSAS deal is but it sounds like another medical school nightmare. When I was a 4th yr medical student, I decided to do an away rotation somewhere, called the undergraduate medical education coordinator, told her I'd like to rotate in October, she said cool, and then faxed me an application form which i returned along w a copy of my immunization records. I did the rotation, it was awesome, and now I am a resident there.
Here you go.

Don't forget to check out the immunization forms for each school EARLY. Some of them are a huge pain in the ass.

For example:
1) Some may not accept "Oh, I actually HAD the chicken pox during these dates" but they require a serum anti-VZV antibody titer.
2) Some may not accept "Yes I actually did get all my HepB shots" but also require a HepB titer.
3) Some are not satisfied with ONE negative PPD but actually require TWO negative PPDs placed no more than 14 days apart. Yes, that's 2 PPDs in 2 weeks meaning a grand total of FOUR clinic visits. I can't imagine what a PITA it must be for anyone who happened to seroconvert.