Rant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DieselPetrolGrl

twisterChamp&so much more
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am posting because I saw a few threads on eMCAT forum that accuse SDN of immaturity, arrogance and lack of support. Now in my time of membership I have yet to see any serious ?immaturity? ? immaturity that exists for the sole purpose of harming another member?s feelings, opportunities or decisions. We (myself included) tend to be lighthearted but not immature. Although I am sure I have gotten on everyone?s nerves (I stopped posting unless I had some very important question for fear of being banned someday like good ole cerb) I am not immature for the sole reason of ruining people?s online experiences.

On SDN we have a few members who are funny jokesters, we even have our resident trolls, but we also have (in outnumbering population) helpful individuals. (This is not to say that the funny monkeys and silly trolls are not helpful!..i do believe a majority of SDN members have split personality disorders.) On the whole we are an online community that serves to help one another. We are all in the same process, many of us have had similar experiences, and several of us share common doubts, fears and questions. I know when I have a question or uncertainty SDN is the #1 place I would ask for answers ? yes above my pre medical advisor and classmates.

So ..in conclusion. ?..a bah on sdn haters

..where else can you ask ? what are my chances?? 3000 times and still get half a dozen bumps? You tell me!

Members don't see this ad.

As a group I would say we are pretty human. Most of the people who complain wouldn't fit in here. You have to be willing to take a little flack and some people can't handle that.

I agree that there has been a great deal of insensitivity and plain arrogance as of late. I suspect a lot of it is a result of this stressful period. A lot of us are on the edge and are easily pushed over by the slightest remark. Someone needs to pass a Costco sized bottle of Valium around.

Members don't see this ad :)
E-mcat is such a slow and badly organized forum, and everything you say is being monitored by the MCAT staff.

There are some inflated egos around here. People can get snippy and threads often degenerate into gunnerish competetions of who has the larger intellect. But there is nowhere else to get the kind of support and interactions we enjoy here.

I love SDN totally, and I doubt anyone can make accurate generalizations about the people who post here, except that we're all in this premed business together (except the trolls of course). :D

Pinkertinkle said:
E-mcat is such a slow and badly organized forum, and everything you say is being monitored by the MCAT staff.

what's the url

Its e-mcat dot com, and people there are complaining that they come here, see the acceptance thread, mcat score thread, etc... think its representative of the entire applicant pool and thus crap themselves and cry. They also accuse this forum of general meanness, which I have not observed.

Oh and for some strange reason on e-mcat, you have to read the first post, then scroll all the way down, and read bottom up. WTF??

There are some interesting posts from the MCAT staff at times though.

Medikit said:
I'm trying to be mean and immature
Not bad for a amateur. Keep working on it and you'll get there. :laugh:

Well, most of SDN can accurately be accused of having a gunner attitude at least some of the time (myself not excluded), but most of the time, people get helpful, legitimate responses, some of which may not be good news (no, sorry, a 2.0 and a 20 will not get you into Harvard), but usually people are encouraging.

MedicineBird said:
I agree that there has been a great deal of insensitivity and plain arrogance as of late. I suspect a lot of it is a result of this stressful period. A lot of us are on the edge and are easily pushed over by the slightest remark. Someone needs to pass a Costco sized bottle of Valium around.
What did you say! :smuggrin: