Rare (interesting) Case, 2.5 gpa,

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChangeisGood

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will attempt to make this short,

My first two years, (Freshman and Sophmore year of undergrad) was about a 3.2 in liberal arts (from a community college). I had transferred to a University and:
My gpa for these remaining last two years (junior and Senior year of undergrad) was a 2.1 about at the university. The last semester I had endured a life changing experience that had occurred with my psychiatrist and completely changed my life. I decided that this is what I need to do with my life, it has been my passion ever since that treatment and on. I decided to take another year here to take my sciences, Chemisty I and II (in the summer) Physics I and II and Organic Chemistry I and II my 5th year in college along with Calculus I and II All in on year. I was told If i was able to achieve a 4.0 status these remaining years coupled with a very good Mcat Score by one of the professors that Med Schools look for change and that I would have a good shot.

As I read more and more and more into this subject online I realize that this may not be true as my finaly Gpa is about a 2.8 -3.0 ( Rough estimate as certain grades are pending from transfer school mistakes- another long story not to be told here) I have not taken my Mcats as I am doing this my 6th year here (now). What are my chances of getting into Medschool with this past of mine? I sort of based my year long hardwork on one professor's advice, when i should had been educated by a Pre-medical advisor.Which is of course my fault.( I am expecting a Very good score on the Mcat as I am putting almot 8 hours a day studying, for months on end. and continuing to do so) There is nothing more I would want than this.

Someone please inform of my options. and chance?

-Robert M. Fanik

Members don't see this ad.

Most MD schools toss your app out if your gpa is <3.00. I would think that you would have to have a 40+ on your MCAT with fantastic ECs and LoRs to even be considered for an MD school. However, if you had a 4.0 sGPA, then maybe you could do something with that, maybe. I believe your best shot would be a DO school. With DO schools, you could re-take some classes and raise your cGPA and they look at the re-take grade of the class. This is just my opinion. Hopefully, Cat (she's a fantastic advice giver and contains so much knowledge about med school admissions) will pop in and comment. Good Luck!

In addition- (keeping this very short so i can hopefully get an answer without scaring you guys off :) ) I have a year of shadowing. multiple volunteer work at local hospitals and am not interested in a top school primarily since i know my statistics and past of poor grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
advice*, Also, would it be possible I should take extra classes to boost my gpa over 3.0?

I could potentionally have JUST a 3.0 When i am finished. For sure.

more info that may help you, Help me: I received a B average in bio I and II. and a B in chem I. (chem II and Rest of the Sciences A's

Last edited:
My advice to you, slow down.

1) Do NOT try to take all of the pre-reqs, study for the MCAT, and catch up on extra-curriculars all in one year. You are setting yourself up for a mediocre performance by spreading yourself too thin. Instead, take your time (I'd say two years is reasonable) and shoot for a Spring '13 MCAT date.

2) Assuming you have ~120 credits for a 2.65 cGPA right now, and went on to maintain a 3.8 over the next two years as described above (~60 credits), you would have a 3.0 cGPA. This is still far below the national average for both DO and MD matriculants. Instead, as long as you do well (27+) on the MCAT I think you'd be able to enter an SMP program. This way you'll be able to 'try out' for med school in order to demonstrate your proficiency with the curriculum and link to the school the next year.

3) I saw brief mention of your extra-curriculars, and they are slightly lacking. Here are some averages:
Clinical experience:
- 150 hours volunteering over 1.5 years
- 50 hours shadowing over 2-3 specialties (at least one family medicine)
Non-medical volunteering:
- 1 to 2 years of consistent commitments (with some leadership positions)
Research
- At least one or two semesters (does not need to be medically-related)

Now I know this seems daunting, but that is why I suggest slowing down and taking a couple more years to make it more manageable.

A couple brief suggestions:

1. You may want to avoid posting with your full name. One of the benefits of SDN is anonymity. But if you're OK with your name being up here then that's cool.

2. Take advantage of the DO grade replacement policy to the fullest extent possible. Retake classes you underperformed in.

i am sorry to inform you that your case is neither rare nor particularly interesting, other than the fact that your climb is exceedingly steep given your poor CC performance and dismal grades at the presumably more rigorous 4-year. the fact that you are only now going to take pre-reqs implies to me that you did not major in a science. being completely honest here, what makes you think, 8 hour days notwithstanding, you are going to get a very good, let alone par MCAT score? perhaps more importantly, what evidence is there to suggest you will suddenly turn it around to be a 4.0 student immediately after 2.0 semesters?

i am sorry to inform you that your case is neither rare nor particularly interesting, other than the fact that your climb is exceedingly steep given your poor CC performance and dismal grades at the presumably more rigorous 4-year. the fact that you are only now going to take pre-reqs implies to me that you did not major in a science. being completely honest here, what makes you think, 8 hour days notwithstanding, you are going to get a very good, let alone par MCAT score? perhaps more importantly, what evidence is there to suggest you will suddenly turn it around to be a 4.0 student immediately after 2.0 semesters?

I may have not stated that I completed my pre-reqs? and have a few electives for my minor left which is my current (6th year) and i stated my pre req grades in the additional post? I like the constructive criticism but, I have already turned my 2.0 2 years to a 4.0 every since that semester. Which was my plan. I assume you are not aware of that? I went through a life changing situation where I feel I have found my passion and this is where I am now, I am asking others also, I wanted to hear from other opinions on advice where I should go from here, and asagacious has informed me of this ( he/she was also unaware of my progress it seems) I must had not included these grades in my original article since I intended to keep it short, but included it in my additional replies. Would you care to re-examine my case please?

previously I had no inner drive and didnt know what I was doing, and now that I have that motivation -I have changed my effort and grades- and asking where to go from here.

Oh, my fault. I was unaware that you are already in your 6th year. Not to be pessimistic, but 6 years' worth of classes makes a GPA very robust to large changes. Unless you have, at very least, a 3.0 cGPA you will quite literally be discarded by the computers and no human eyes will ever see your application. Like everyone above has already said, I don't think that there is an MCAT score that could save a 3.0 GPA (for either an MD or DO).

There are only two options that I could think of where you might gain an eventual acceptance (though I'm making no guarantees):

1) Retake many of the classes that you did poorly in and 4.0 them. This will partially recover your GPA for DO schools (though you'd still have to take care of the MCAT).

2) Pull your GPA up to above a 3.0 by taking more upper level undergraduate courses while preparing for the MCAT. When you've done well on your MCAT (30+) apply to an SMP program with direct linkage into its MD/DO parent school.

Either option will still require a couple more years of classes (and a lot of work), but if you're serious about med school they are the only realistic options I can think of.

P.S.

...asagacious has informed me of this (he/she was also unaware of my progress it seems)...
I'm a gentleman, would a lady be able to sport such a fresh tux?

...Unless you have, at very least, a 3.0 cGPA you will quite literally be discarded by the computers and no human eyes will ever see your application. Like everyone above has already said, I don't think that there is an MCAT score that could save a 3.0 GPA (for either an MD or DO).

What you think is, in a word, wrong. There are plenty of programs that do not cut off automatically at a 3.0, and do examine the applicant as a whole.

OP, I agree for the most part with Bleargh, and somewhat with aSagacious: You are not entirely special, and will not get special consideration/treatment a such and it will be a major uphill battle (which I think was the main idea Bleargh was trying to convey to you).

I also agree with aSagacious that you should slow down. I will never say you can't get in on the first try - but you are pushing your luck. Anything worth doing is worth planning carefully. Consider an SMP.

I believe I can get over a 3.0 gpa total, ( not much higher than a 3.0 though...) as my Community college and university credit grades combine into one total gpa (If this is incorrect please correct me!)

So you would suggest a SMP after I raise my gpa over 3.0 and a mcat score of (30+)? along with the volunteer work/shadowing you had described earlier?

What are my chances? and I hope what i said above is correct.

I truly appreciate your consideration in helping me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe I can get over a 3.0 gpa total, ( not much higher than a 3.0 though...) as my Community college and university credit grades combine into one total gpa (If this is incorrect please correct me!)

So you would suggest a SMP after I raise my gpa over 3.0 and a mcat score of (30+)? along with the volunteer work/shadowing you had described earlier?

What are my chances? and I hope what i said above is correct.

I truly appreciate your consideration in helping me.

yeah, that;s correct for most universities like mine

I may have not stated that I completed my pre-reqs? and have a few electives for my minor left which is my current (6th year) and i stated my pre req grades in the additional post? I like the constructive criticism but, I have already turned my 2.0 2 years to a 4.0 every since that semester. Which was my plan. I assume you are not aware of that? I went through a life changing situation where I feel I have found my passion and this is where I am now, I am asking others also, I wanted to hear from other opinions on advice where I should go from here, and asagacious has informed me of this ( he/she was also unaware of my progress it seems) I must had not included these grades in my original article since I intended to keep it short, but included it in my additional replies. Would you care to re-examine my case please?
you will have to forgive me, based on your OP i thought you were speaking of a plan to take courses in the future. honestly, unless you 38+ the mcat, i think grade replacement for DO is the safest route to medicine for you

you will have to forgive me, based on your OP i thought you were speaking of a plan to take courses in the future. honestly, unless you 38+ the mcat, i think grade replacement for DO is the safest route to medicine for you

gotta agree with this. the only real chance you have would be DO grade replacement. other than that you are looking at odds stacked so much against you, it isn't worth talking about.

As long as your GPA is 3.0+ and you get a MCAT of 30+, all you need to do is a 1 year SMP program. If you do well in the SMP than you should have a shot at some med schools.

My first two years, (Freshman and Sophmore year of undergrad) was about a 3.2 in liberal arts (from a community college). I had transferred to a University and:
My gpa for these remaining last two years (junior and Senior year of undergrad) was a 2.1 about at the university. The last semester I had endured a life changing experience that had occurred with my psychiatrist and completely changed my life. I decided that this is what I need to do with my life, it has been my passion ever since that treatment and on. I decided to take another year here to take my sciences, Chemisty I and II (in the summer) Physics I and II and Organic Chemistry I and II my 5th year in college along with Calculus I and II All in on year. I was told If i was able to achieve a 4.0 status these remaining years coupled with a very good Mcat Score by one of the professors that Med Schools look for change and that I would have a good shot.

As I read more and more and more into this subject online I realize that this may not be true as my finaly Gpa is about a 2.8 -3.0 ( Rough estimate as certain grades are pending from transfer school mistakes- another long story not to be told here) I have not taken my Mcats as I am doing this my 6th year here (now). What are my chances of getting into Medschool with this past of mine? I sort of based my year long hardwork on one professor's advice, when i should had been educated by a Pre-medical advisor.Which is of course my fault.( I am expecting a Very good score on the Mcat as I am putting almot 8 hours a day studying, for months on end. and continuing to do so) There is nothing more I would want than this.

Someone please inform of my options. and chance?

Please edit your name out of your original post so as to maintain your anonymity.

We have seen folks on SDN get into an MD med school with sub-3.0 GPAs and recent excellent grades on rare occasion. A very high MCAT score and terrific ECs would be immensely helpful toward that end. Alternatively, I agree with nabeel's approach for best shot at an MD med school acceptance. Your two years of high GPA over the last two years will demonstrate your potential and give you a good shot of an acceptance into such a program. See the Postbaccalaureate Programs Forum (Dr Midlife's sticky) for a summary of available programs.

Why do you have a need to become a medical doctor? Why not follow the path of a nurse or physicians assistant? There might be other career paths that will satisfy your drive without such substantial hurdles to cross.

I agree with BaronVonz. While it is theoretically possible to get into a DO/MD school if you demolish the MCAT, it would entail a considerable amount of time and probably a significant chunk of change for an SMP. Why not look into being a nurse practitioner or being a physician's assistant? These ventures are far less costly in almost every sense and allows you to practice medicine much like a primary care physician would.

Have you considered the PhD in psychology route? Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like you have been inspired to help people who suffer from psychological illness, and you are choosing medicine to specialize in psych. You can definitely pursue a fulfilling career as a clinical psychologist and help just as many people that way.

My advice to you, slow down.

1) Do NOT try to take all of the pre-reqs, study for the MCAT, and catch up on extra-curriculars all in one year. You are setting yourself up for a mediocre performance by spreading yourself too thin. Instead, take your time (I'd say two years is reasonable) and shoot for a Spring '13 MCAT date.

2) Assuming you have ~120 credits for a 2.65 cGPA right now, and went on to maintain a 3.8 over the next two years as described above (~60 credits), you would have a 3.0 cGPA. This is still far below the national average for both DO and MD matriculants. Instead, as long as you do well (27+) on the MCAT I think you'd be able to enter an SMP program. This way you'll be able to 'try out' for med school in order to demonstrate your proficiency with the curriculum and link to the school the next year.

3) I saw brief mention of your extra-curriculars, and they are slightly lacking. Here are some averages:
Clinical experience:
- 150 hours volunteering over 1.5 years
- 50 hours shadowing over 2-3 specialties (at least one family medicine)
Non-medical volunteering:
- 1 to 2 years of consistent commitments (with some leadership positions)
Research
- At least one or two semesters (does not need to be medically-related)

Now I know this seems daunting, but that is why I suggest slowing down and taking a couple more years to make it more manageable.

Ignore this post

Focus on good grades, rock the Mcat, and get your med school professor to write you an excellent letter of rec. Continue to participate in EC's that you have a passion for.

If worst comes to worst a SMP is a good option. Don't retake anything! It may take 2 cycles to get into an MD school but your definitely have as good of a chance as anyone else if you can prove your academic strengths.

Ignore this post

Focus on good grades, rock the Mcat, and get your med school professor to write you an excellent letter of rec. Continue to participate in EC's that you have a passion for.

If worst comes to worst a SMP is a good option. Don't retake anything! It may take 2 cycles to get into an MD school but your definitely have as good of a chance as anyone else if you can prove your academic strengths.

So you are suggesting that a 2.65 cGPA followed by one year of solid grades will be enough to gain an acceptance? Perhaps that is being a bit too optimistic...

I do think that OP absolutely needs to make use of retakes if he/she hopes to repair the GPA in any reasonable timeframe. Additionally, I already recommended that OP participate in an SMP after beefing up his/her GPA.

I appreciate your agreement on most points anyway ;)

Last edited:
Don't give up if this is what you really want to do. I agree with others that this is not really a "rare" situation. You are not going to be able to explain away or charm through even a 3.0 GPA and gain admission to an M.D. school. I think you said that you want to go into psych right? Why not become a psychologist? Something to think about. If you are determined to be able to prescribe medications then I think, as others have already said, your only really option is SMP + rocking the MCAT + impressive LORs. Nothing is impossible if it is what you really want but don't expect it to happen right away.

So you are suggesting that a 2.65 cGPA followed by one year of solid grades will be enough to gain an acceptance? Perhaps that is being a bit too optimistic...

I do think that OP absolutely needs to make use of retakes if he/she hopes to repair the GPA in any reasonable timeframe. Additionally, I already recommended that OP participate in an SMP after beefing up his/her GPA.

I appreciate your agreement on most points anyway ;)

I think the suggestion is for the OP to realize that SDN attracts many people from many places. Some more qualified to give advice than others. OP try to get some solid advice from LizzyM or Cat, or others who have gone through and have experience with the process. Not from someone who isn't even done with it yet.

You should know that everyone's advice on here (except for those who are actually qualified to do so) should be taken with a grain of salt. Including mine, but here is what I think you should do.

Stop listening to people who tell you to pursue other career paths. If you are ok with doing so and genuinely like another career choice more than medicine than go for it. But don't quit your journey to become a physician just because people here say you can't or because you think you can't. My gpa is terrible right now and moreover im South Asian - meaning that 98% of us don't have GPAs below 3.8 - so my competition is truly an uphill battle. But I would never - for one second - even consider other career options. To me they don't exist because this is all I want to do. If you really are inspired and motivated to achieve your dream of being a doctor you will find a way to make it work despite what people tell you otherwise.

I think its wonderful that you have found your passion. Keep at it and it will happen.

basically there are 3 ways to do this. with all of these approaches, you need a good MCAT but you do not need a 40 like people are saying. Just get 10 or above in each catagory. I would suggest 32-33 min but try to hit higher. good balance is key

Path 1: SMP. destroy it with a high GPA. that will demonstrate your abilities
Path 2: grade repair for DO schools
path 3: if you are bent on MD, you can also consider the caribbean. this option is high risk with little room for error and is expensive.

keep at it..it will happen if you are so motivated!