Rate for Anesthesiologist (1099) in NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snoozemd77

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the current going rate for 1099 for Anesthesiologist position in NYC, my colleague is being offers 170/hour is it reasonable?

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty much par for the course. That should be the floor. I don't think you'll find anything above 200. 170-185 is the going rate.

Obviously if you know the payout mix you could negotiate a higher rate, but NYC is saturated (I know). Your friend should check outside the city (LI, Westchester, NJ, Staten Island) and maybe he could make a little more. But if he's looking to make bank, he should head to the Midwest and do locums out there.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

You can make more than 200/hr in NYC if you look and once you make contacts. There are plenty of dumpy, understaffed hospitals in the boroughs that are desperate. Just poke around and tell them you won't work for less than $200/hr. There are some old timer road warriors who fled during the NAPA consolidation era who do well picking up the locums scraps.

The NYC market is not so much saturated because you can get a job at almost any hospital you want. The NYC market compensation has been driven down by consolidation, but there are tons of jobs. Most of these jobs are controlled by greedy management companies who care more about compensating their investors than they care about compensating their anesthesiologists.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What is the current going rate for 1099 for Anesthesiologist position in NYC, my colleague is being offers 170/hour is it reasonable?

God that's awful. I know nothing about the NY market admittedly, but I'd rather take my show on the road than take that rate. Places will pay for travel, lodging, and food on top of a much better hourly rate.

Reactions: 1 users
God that's awful. I know nothing about the NY market admittedly, but I'd rather take my show on the road than take that rate. Places will pay for travel, lodging, and food on top of a much better hourly rate.

Agree. I'll be on the locums road in a little while and I absolutely REFUSE to work for less than $200/hr and my inbox and voicemail are inundated with calls. Some Colorado surgery centers must be desperate because they having been blowing up my e-mail with $225/hr offers with all expenses covered.

Reactions: 3 users
Agree. I'll be on the locums road in a little while and I absolutely REFUSE to work for less than $200/hr and my inbox and voicemail are inundated with calls. Some Colorado surgery centers must be desperate because they having been blowing up my e-mail with $225/hr offers with all expenses covered.
Are you selling your practice consigliere?

Wow, sounds like you did a lot to build it up. Sorry things aren't working out. I am currently doing locums right now and hate the location I picked and did it for the money. I should have known what a crap hole it would be being that it's academic. Can't wait till it's over.