Rate my LOR!?!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skyblue2000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all your help guys! :) I just wanted to take the LOR off the Internet do it's not here forever....though I think the advice I received could definitely still help others :)

Thank you again, I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It doesn't sound amazing to me, but I think it is definitely positive and not neutral, so I'm sure it won't hurt you. Did you not waive your right to see the letters? My school notes whether or not we could see them and I'd think medical schools would prefer we don't see them.

Members don't see this ad :)
The tone is positive, but it's very generic and brief, and gives no true insight into your personal qualities. You've been "damned with faint (insufficient) praise."

That's what I was so shocked about because I was talking to her since last August about this....and she wrote in the letter I took her class for 2 months and it just seems like She doesn't know know at all.

Should I just leave it in there seeing as how I have 6 letters and that's the max...or would it be better to take it out?

Is she Canadian? The Canadians are modest and so are the letters they write.

Even if this is a US professor, the letter is modestly positive. The interaction was only two months in length and started less than a year ago. You did well in the course and participated in class discussion which is important if the school puts a lot of stock in small group learning. It might also be looked back on if you come across in the interview as very quiet and reserved and there is a question about how you will deport yourself in small groups (classes, clinical team).

Is she Canadian? The Canadians are modest and so are the letters they write.

Even if this is a US professor, the letter is modestly positive. The interaction was only two months in length and started less than a year ago. You did well in the course and participated in class discussion which is important if the school puts a lot of stock in small group learning. It might also be looked back on if you come across in the interview as very quiet and reserved and there is a question about how you will deport yourself in small groups (classes, clinical team).

Thanks for the advice! She is Canadian...I think I would be quite open durig an interview but it's good to know that if I do get butterflies that this letter can back me up.

Thank you guys so much for your replies! I was really at a loss when I got his today.

:laugh: It is pretty easy to sniff out a letter written by a Canadian. "Consider the source", as my mom would say. You've got nothing to worry about.

How did you do that??

That was legit!

on a side note did you wave the right to see your letters of rec? from what i gathered about LOR and how they get reported to medical schools is that letters of rec are flagged as either waved or not waved.

let me clarify:
to wave implies that the writer of the LOR knows that you (the person requesting the letter of rec) has waved the right to see the personal statement after it has been written. this allows the writer to write a more truthful and honest letter of rec concerning the individual without repercussions to the writer.
however to not wave you right to read a letter of rec.. implies that perhaps the individual writing the letter might not have written such a honest letter of rec fearing repercussions from the person requesting the letter of rec.

this is what my school advisers told us concerning requesting letters of rec. They suggest that every student should sign a form saying that they will not read the letters of rec they request. this allows med schools to know what the professors and letter writers are saying truthfully..

but yeah i digress because you and your letter writer could be "close" in the sense that they probably broke the rule and let you see your letter of rec before they submitted even though you did wave the right to see them.

but going back to your original post about whether or not if the letter of rec is a good one. the letter does talk about some good qualities you have but these might be generic qualities that can be attributed to anyone ( no offense) .. without concrete examples or anything of the sort it's hard to truly say anything about you as a person. i also personally think that this letter of rec may be too short.
is it neutral.. kind of .. but it's more on the boarder of neutral positive.
like i said it's too general and too broad... it doesn't show to the reader that the author truly understands or comprehends to individual requesting the letter of rec.
but then again i'm no adcom and i have no true authority over this matter just my 2 cents . sorry if i come across as too frank.