Rate the decision I have made!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCATTT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to know what you guys think of the decision I have made.

I am a student with 3.9 GPA and 25 MCAT. I volunteered for 2 summers in two hospitals and shadowed 2 doctors (received LORs). In addition, I did research in chemistry for more than 1 year and have lots of other ECs.
Due to my low MCAT score, I only applied to DO schools and got in to my top choice. I have had plans to retake MCAT again, but after going through all the application process, I do not want to go through it again. Mostly, I don't want to waste 1 year of my life with the hopes of getting in somewhere.
I like the school that I was accepted to and have faith in the school in training me to become a great doctor. Now that everything is set, I will pursue my med school education this coming Fall.

(Just for fun and out of curiousity) If you were to give a rating (10 being the best possible decision and 1 being incredibly bad), what would it be? And what would I have done better?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a student with 3.9 GPA and 25 MCAT. I volunteered for 2 summers in two hospitals and shadowed 2 doctors (received LORs). In addition, I did research in chemistry for more than 1 year and have lots of other ECs.
Due to my low MCAT score, I only applied to DO schools and got in to my top choice. I have had plans to retake MCAT again, but after going through all the application process, I do not want to go through it again. Mostly, I don't want to waste 1 year of my life with the hopes of getting in somewhere.
I like the school that I was accepted to and have faith in the school in training me to become a great doctor. Now that everything is set, I will pursue my med school education this coming Fall.

(Just for fun and out of curiousity) If you were to give a rating (10 being the best possible decision and 1 being incredibly bad), what would it be? And what would I have done better?

While I'll preface this by saying that I wouldn't let posters on here sway you too much one way or the other, I think you made a good call. You're already in and you like the school... stop worrying about what you could have done better or what might happen if you take a year off. You'll be fine. Go do to school, have fun, study well, and kick a$$. :thumbup:

I'm not going to give you a rating for a reason listed below (read on). I don't blame you for not wanting to go through this process again, it is STRESSFUl!! The only flaw I see in your decision is when you decided not to apply to MD programs because of your MCAT score. You shouldn't have let the MCAT be the only reason you didn't apply to MD programs. I have a friend who got a 24 and he got into an MD program (and no, he is not a URM, he is a caucasian male). You have some very respectable EC's and I think that you could have had a chance at MD schools but that is just me. I am not on any adcom but the MCAT is not everything. Now, here's why I didn't give you a rating: As long as YOU are happy with your decision and got into your top DO choice, you shouldn't care what anyone else thinks. Now the fact that you are thinking about your decision means that you may have some regret...correct me if I'm wrong. You just want to be sure that whatever decision you do make is a decision that you will be able to live with. You don't want to be like 50 looking back at your life with any regret, thinking to yourself..hmm, what if?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to go to DO school, you've made a great choice. If you think there's little difference or negligible difference between DO and MD and the differences don't mean anything to you, you've made a great choice.

If you'll always have wished you'd gone to MD school.. maybe not such a good choice.

In the long run, you're going to be a doctor. Enjoy it.

The reason I did not applied to any MD school was because I took the August MCAT. It was pretty late by the time the scores came out.

Thanks for your great inputs. I just wanted to have some opinions and see whether or not people would have done the same thing if they were in my situation. I have done my HW and satisfied with the path I chosed. I really appreciate your "well thought out" responses and I will move on without any regrets.

I wish you all good luck on pursuing your dreams.
:luck:

Well, I suspect that it isn't entirely out of fun and curiosity, but out of some fear and insecurity, that you ask this question. Thus, I will not rate your decision. You need to make peace with your own choice, however it is that you do that. It's natural to have doubts in the midst of such a huge transition. Hopefully you are where you truly want to be. If not, then don't go forward until you are fully in line with your choice; being in limbo with respect to your choice isn't an ideal place to start and often foreshadows a rocky road ahead. I'm sure you did your best in the situation in which you were presented. Are you happy with your choice?

EDIT: Nevermind. :) I'm chiming in late, apparently. I just noticed your post above. Congratulations!

Well, I suspect that it isn't entirely out of fun and curiosity, but out of some fear and insecurity, that you ask this question. Thus, I will not rate your decision. You need to make peace with your own choice, however it is that you do that. It's natural to have doubts in the midst of such a huge transition. Hopefully you are where you truly want to be. If not, then don't go forward until you are fully in line with your choice; being in limbo with respect to your choice isn't an ideal place to start and often foreshadows a rocky road ahead. I'm sure you did your best in the situation in which you were presented. Are you happy with your choice?

EDIT: Nevermind. :) I'm chiming in late, apparently. I just noitced your post above. Congratulations!

Thanks anyway. When I was making this thread, I created the "rating" so that people can just come in and give a rating if they don't want to response or are in a hurry to move on to other threads. It turns out that future docs in this forum are much more considerate and caring than I expected. Thank you all for talking your time to response. Also, please feel free to share anything in this thread.

Shouldn't this thread be in pre-Osteopathic? Why are you asking a bunch of people who want to be MD's what they think about DO's? Who cares what they think?