Employment & Professional Networking Rates for independent contractor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dred Pirate

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My wife is an OT and is looking at taking a job as independent contractor for a local rehab facility (southeast US-mid-large city). What is considered an normal/average rate for a 1099 employee? They are offering $56 and hour for visits. I know there are a lot of variables, just making sure this is ball park approrpaite

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Friend gets $55 hr prn in N Florida in acute/inpatient setting.

Just to clarify, are you talking about a rehab facility with a home care? I ask because you say visits. If so that seems low.

Friend gets $55 hr prn in N Florida in acute/inpatient setting.

Just to clarify, are you talking about a rehab facility with a home care? I ask because you say visits. If so that seems low.

thanks - it is not a prn inpatient setting. It would be home visits (pediatric) and school visits. She would be a 1099/independent contractor - so obviously the hourly rate is higher than her salary now - but you have to take into account extra ss tax, health insurance not included, no retirement provided by company, etc. You would have to drive between visits, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks - it is not a prn inpatient setting. It would be home visits (pediatric) and school visits. She would be a 1099/independent contractor - so obviously the hourly rate is higher than her salary now - but you have to take into account extra ss tax, health insurance not included, no retirement provided by company, etc. You would have to drive between visits, etc.

I see. I don't know much about ped home care. Only adult. My experience with home care is:

You probably already know this but if she takes the gig make sure to take advantage of car depreciation, supplies, gas etc unless she will be reimbursed for it.

Decide on distance she is willing to work.

If there are some really far off clients make sure she can get some type of reimbursement for the distance.

EMR vs paper. There are a lot of writing if peds use the same type of system adult home cares use (OASIS etc).

goodluck my friend.

I see. I don't know much about ped home care. Only adult. My experience with home care is:

You probably already know this but if she takes the gig make sure to take advantage of car depreciation, supplies, gas etc unless she will be reimbursed for it.

Decide on distance she is willing to work.

If there are some really far off clients make sure she can get some type of reimbursement for the distance.

EMR vs paper. There are a lot of writing if peds use the same type of system adult home cares use (OASIS etc).

goodluck my friend.
thanks - she currently works at a hospital outpatient office - so knows all the documentation and stuff. I used to do some 1099 work, so am very familiar with all of the tax games to play.

Reactions: 1 user