ratings of all DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngjock

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
can someone tell me how hard it is to get in one of the do schols from the hardest to the easiest?

from what i read,

touro is the hardest.

since evcom is the newest, I would suppose that it is the easist

Lake erie probably is also an easier one to get in.

i don't know about the rest.

can you tell me?

Members don't see this ad.

wow. that is fast. i just posted it.

well, that is what the director at touro told me via email. he told me that it is the number 1 according to US news magazine. therefore, i assume that it is the hardest to get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is difficult for me to convey just how hard I am laughing right now. Not at you, understand. I mean, this could be true for all I know. And I certainly have no problem with Touro, either. I'd just like to see some data that supports his claim.

Maybe this is what he is talking about:

www.CrazyBogusDOSchoolRankings.com

ok,

see US News, "America's Best Graduate Schools", 2002, page 201

I have never checked, but that is what the director told me.

youngjock,

As much as I would love to run around and lay claim that Touro is the hardest school to get into (thus asserting my manhood because I am still in the running for a spot in Touro '07), I have to agree with SawBones in that I doubt there is any empirical data to support your claim.

Yes, it is very true that true that Touro has excellent statistics with respect to it students (excellent gpa's, match rates, COMLEX scores, etc.) but from that information, is it fair or possible to jump to the conclusion that Touro is the hardest school to get into? A much more viable explaination is that Touro offers acceptances to very competitive applicants, and that those that accept their intivation to enroll at Touro are very cool people (once again, I am feeding my ego because I have every hope and desire of being a member of TUCOM someday)

As far as I am concerned, all medical schools are difficult to get in to. It is difficult to get good grades, get a high MCAT score, do research, and particpate in activites that demostrate that you will be a good physician (at least I had a difficult time doing all these things that "they" told me I need to do to be a comptetive applicant).

But then again, I havent gotten into medical school yet...

-Stressing about my March 4th interview at Touro,
Brian Enriquez
[email protected]

people, i don't work for touro, nor I want to spread their fame.

that is what I was told by their director. Therefore, I concluded that they must be the number one do school.

i am just asking to see the rating of all schools. I checked out that link, I doubt that pcom is the lowest of all. To my mind, i think that pcom is somewhere in the middle. Actually I went to one of the pcom open house once, they told me that they are the largest do school in the country. And frankly, the campus is quite small to me.

I have searched for the answer to this question so many times. I think it is in our nature, as future doctors, to want to have the cold hard facts about the schools we are applying to, to see which school is ranked the highest and go for the #1 schools. But as far as I can tell there is no real ranking for the osteopathic schools out there. I mean you can look at the statistics of the applicants they are accepting, but the rankings just aren't out there like they are for the allopathic schools. Personally I like that. I think it follows with the nature of osteopathic schools. None of the osteopathic schools that I visited seemed to foster or promote competitive behaviors in their students(well ok, besides maybe TUCOM, which is perhaps why they are spouting off their statistics to make themselves seem like the best). So why should there be ranking amongst the schools? The osteopathic schools seem to just want to produce the best D.O.s they can, and they don't seem so worried about how they rank nationally. Besides, I have learned that the rankings don't mean all that much about the kind of doctors that the school is producing anyways!
I just try to get my information about the schools from reputable and respected sources. I have talked to a lot of people, especially doctors in my area, about what schools they like, what schools their top residents have come from, where they would recommend. I think that this works best! I was accepted to TUCOM, Western, and KCOM and then had to make a tough decision. I live in Oregon and hope to practice here, or somewhere on the West coast, someday. A lot of the doctors have advised going to Western COMP over the others. They say Touro is too new and they have had a lot of great residents (last few chief residents) from Western. SO that was how I made my decision. But it is really dependant on where you want to go and what you want to do when your done. I know that KCOM is also a great school and I really loved it there, but it wasn't right for me because I wanted to be on the West coast. I just think ratings are just really meaningless.
You dont have to listen to me...these are all things I have just heard.

Where in Oregon are you from Kat? I'm origionally from Medford, but have been living in San Diego for the past few years.

I live right outside of Portland.

Actually I went to one of the pcom open house once, they told me that they are the largest do school in the country. And frankly, the campus is quite small to me.

As further evidence that you shouldnt believe everything you hear, NYCOM outnumbers PCOM these days and has for a few years with the addition of the APEP program (40 offshore MDs who are retrained as DOs and complete the degree in 3 years). Pay no attention to campus size, this aint undergrad anymore. PCOM is in a city, hence that can limit their space, but their facilities are top notch.

I don't think it is possible to rate medical schools. How would one go about the process of doing so? Look at the amount that pass the boards? That could be one way, but what if all the students that passed the boards had excellent book smarts but no common sense to use the knowledge. You can't go on MCAT scores for instance, PCSOM rejected higher MCATs and GPA then what they accepted, because they are focused on getting students that want to practice primary care in Appalachia. There is no possible way to rate medical schools, the one thing a person must understand that every medical school has it's pros, just as everyone has it's cons. Remember it's what you put into it while there, that is important. Go to the medical school that is going to make you feel the most comfortable!

Glorytaker: PCSOM was the 19th medical school and graduated its first class in 2001 also.
AZCOM was the 17th medical school and graduated its first class in 2000.

ok, what i really want to know is how easy it is to get in a med. school. There are about 20 do schools out there, I certainly don't have the money to apply all.

Dr haight is a great guy and very accomodating. For some reason he'll spit out stats that have no apparent backup. He told me and two others interviewing with me that touro had the highes mcat scores, gpa's, & # of applicants. When we asked where we could find all this information he told us no one kept track of it :confused: :confused: :confused:
If no one keeps track of it how does he know??? I think the answer to that is b/c it is HIS school. AZCOM will most likely say that they have the best board passing rate, COMP will say that have the best, PCOM will say they have the best.
The only common theme in all "rankings" is that whichever school you are talking to is the best.
The best medical school is 1.) the one you get into and 2.)the one that suits you best.

Originally posted by youngjock
ok, what i really want to know is how easy it is to get in a med. school. There are about 20 do schools out there, I certainly don't have the money to apply all.

jhug is right in saying that the best school is the one that fits you. As for what schools are the easiest to get into, check the profiles of the schools most recently accepted classes (these numbers are usually posted on the school's websites). Pick the schools that have numbers similar to yours. Then ask around about the schools you might be interested in to find out what people think of the school or what they have heard. That is the best way to initially figure out what schools will be right for you. After the interviews you'll be able to judge even better where you think you fit from all the schools you applied to.

I don't know how much stock you put in US News and World Report, but they listed only 3 DO schools in the Top 50 Medical Schools article. They were in order: Michigan State, North Texas, and Oklahoma State. Hope that helps. My favorite personally is PCOM.