"Ratting" out other students..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ooglyboogly

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have started the summer semester and I am taking an Analytical Chemistry course. We have a test coming up next week (sadly). Just today, as I was in lab, I saw three students follow the TA to the storage room. I thought something was fishy so I tried to look and see what was happening. I saw the three students hand something to the TA (I think it was money) and the TA giving them a stack a paper. I'm not sure, but I think that the paper the TA might have given them was the answer key to next week's test. I'm pissed off about it because the material that we are studying is pretty difficult; the three students will destroy the class curve. I'm debating whether or not I should go talk to the professor about it. At the same time, I don't want to tell on them because I know I will screw up 4 people's lives(all of them, especially the TA, will face expulsion). Should I keep my mouth shut?

Members don't see this ad.

I have started the summer semester and I am taking an Analytical Chemistry course. We have a test coming up next week (sadly). Just today, as I was in lab, I saw three students follow the TA to the storage room. I thought something was fishy so I tried to look and see what was happening. I saw the three students hand something to the TA (I think it was money) and the TA giving them a stack a paper. I'm not sure, but I think that the paper the TA might have given them was the answer key to next week's test. I'm pissed off about it because the material that we are studying is pretty difficult; the three students will destroy the class curve. I'm debating whether or not I should go talk to the professor about it. At the same time, I don't want to tell on them because I know I will screw up 4 people's lives(all of them, especially the TA, will face expulsion). Should I keep my mouth shut?
I say definitely rat them out if it will adversely effect you, which it seems is pretty evident if the class is curved.

Interesting... I just had a conversation about this with MY analytical chem instructor because the same thing was going on in my class this past spring. Anonymous notes are always good if you want to "name names" while being "nameless".

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe send the professor an anonymous email saying that you had heard from a dozen people that the answer key was available.

Edit- :mad: Beat me to it.

ANGRY!

I'd say rat them out if that's really what you saw, but I find it hard to believe.

They probably handed the TA something else? I guess it is pretty suspicious, but you'd think they would pay off the TA outside of class?!

I'd say rat them out if that's really what you saw, but I find it hard to believe.

They probably handed the TA something else? I guess it is pretty suspicious, but you'd think they would pay off the TA outside of class?!

I know the TA is wacked. He has these weird twitches and acts really strange all the time. I'm guessing he's on some type of drugs

maybe send the professor an anonymous email saying that you had heard from a dozen people that the answer key was available.

Edit- :mad: Beat me to it.

ANGRY!

If you send the professor an e-mail, how would it be anonymous? Isn't there a way for the professor to search through the college directory or class roster to determine who sent it?

A letter underneath the door or in a mailbox seems like a good call.

I know the TA is wacked. He has these weird twitches and acts really strange all the time. I'm guessing he's on some type of drugs

I guess im pretty naive, I can't imagine a TA accepting money for answers (especially in class). All the TAs I've had so far are pretty amazing, couldn't imagine any of them even consider accepting bribes.

Anonymity would be your friend here.

Since you don't DEFINITELY know that's what was going down, just state what you saw. You can use words that make him suspect the same thing. Professors get highly PO'd when they have to rewrite an entire semester's worth of tests/exams because of dishonest activities. Something like this would really tick him off because a TA is involved.

possibly they were buying pot?

I don't think so. I saw him hand them a stack of paper? Who gives money for a stack of paper unless it's something that will help them on the next test?

If you saw some people pay off say...a flight instructor so that they could get their commercial pilot's license without actual knowing anything about flying, should you report it? I'd hope so. People could die.
If you saw someone pay off a TA to pass english 101 should you report it? Eh..probably not worth it.
It really depends on what those students plan on doing with their life. Are they planning on going into medicine? Then report them. That kind of stuff has no place in the medical profession. Not that it has a place in any profession, but in some situations it won't have as much affect on other people.

If you send the professor an e-mail, how would it be anonymous? Isn't there a way for the professor to search through the college directory or class roster to determine who sent it?

A hotmail email address is anonymous and takes like 30 seconds to set up.

Members don't see this ad :)

you can always open up a new e-mail just to send.

Or you can send your prof a E-greeting card

"HAPPY BIRTYDAY!
I think the student xxx is paying your TA to cheat"

I don't think so. I saw him hand them a stack of paper? Who gives money for a stack of paper unless it's something that will help them on the next test?
ok no pot then lol....I have witnessed some crazy drug deals though.

Tieing drugs to the bottom of cinder blocks and throwing them into a creek...an hour later someone goes to fish it out.

well, it could be hits of LSD. But much more likely it wasn't (especially a stack of papers).

Sending an anonymous email couldn't be too bad.

edit: don't send the email from your computer (use an anonymous lab computer)

money, stack of paper and 4 people...you have your suspicions but are they fact? Are you absolutely sure?

I would rat them out if I knew for sure. Otherwise, tough luck.

Tieing drugs to the bottom of cinder blocks and throwing them into a creek...an hour later someone goes to fish it out.

is that why the fishes are all acting so high...

I guess im pretty naive, I can't imagine a TA accepting money for answers (especially in class). All the TAs I've had so far are pretty amazing, couldn't imagine any of them even consider accepting bribes.

The funny thing is this guy is in his fourth and final year of finishing his PhD. He is presenting his thesis sometime next year.

A hotmail email address is anonymous and takes like 30 seconds to set up.

I thought of that, but what are the odds of professors opening up e-mails that aren't student or faculty-accounts. I guess if the subject line was related to the incident, then it won't matter, but then again, it could end up in the spam folder.

I'm always a bit skeptical because at my university, it is a huge gamble to get e-mails read by professors.

But anyways, this is going on a tangent.

well, it could be hits of LSD. But much more likely it wasn't (especially a stack of papers).

Sending an anonymous email couldn't be too bad.

edit: don't send the email from your computer (use an anonymous lab computer)

Actually I would send it from your own computer, connected to a non-university network.

The funny thing is this guy is in his fourth and final year of finishing his PhD. He is presenting his thesis sometime next year.

Wow, how unbelievably stupid of this guy. Some TA's are shady like that, though. We had quite a few at UCLA, especially in the LS classes.

And North Americans are shocked at bribery in the 3rd world...you must uproot all the evil sprouting from TAs...they are the reason why America will go down...

i seriously doubt some1 at his last year of his thesis would do something like that.

You better make sure you know what your talking about before saying something as you claim to "think" you saw alot. Many people could get in trouble for something that isn't what it seemed.

if you are def sure about what you saw though, you should without a doubt give a letter yo your professor, and tell him that these 3 student, if they get the same grades to be suspicious.

Anonymous e-mail sounds like the general consensus. My one worry is that these students would screw up the curve. But if the average is like 45% as it has been in some of my chem courses, and these kids all get 99's, then I think that speaks for itself, too.

i would say DONT GO WITH EMAIL. the email could be mistakenly put into the SPAM email folder automatically. i think your best bet is an actual typed up letter. also, in that letter you should mention to the prof that if the story is hard to believe then check out the past test grades of the students. if they all do miraculously on the next exam (to which they had the answers), but they did poorly on all t he others, then something is definitely worth checking out because good students (who have had good test scores in the past) would NOT be paying for answers.

stop-snitching.jpg

You set up a free Yahoo/Gmail/whatever account from a public computer. [email protected]. Typed letter is also good. Telling the professor you heard the answer key is available is actually a really is a good idea. If that´s what you saw you´re going to absolutely screw the cheaters without going so far as getting them expelled. If you´re wrong you don´t hurt anyone exept the poor Grad Student who has to make up the new test. Don´t mention the name of the TA, though, you don´t have nearly enough evidence to implicate the character of a 4th year doctoral student.

I, personally, would have a hard time ratting them out if you are not 100% sure of what went down.

Why don't you flag them by explaining what you MAY have saw. If the three kids score ~100% on the exams, you were most likely right. I would go with the note-under-the-door method.

The papers could be for the pot the students bought from the TA outside of class.....

see they were sneakier than you thought

WHOA. relax a minute. two things give me pause:
1. "you think it was money"...
2. "stack of papers" - an answer key would be a couple of pages, not a stack.

before sending the email, try to get proof. here's my suggestion: cosy up to the students that you think got the answers. study together for an hour or two. cladestinely assess whether they have the test. be subtle. if after this be-friending attempt your suspicions are the same (or greater), then think about the mode of ratting them out. First, however, get your facts (or as many of them as you can).

i would say DONT GO WITH EMAIL. the email could be mistakenly put into the SPAM email folder automatically. i think your best bet is an actual typed up letter. also, in that letter you should mention to the prof that if the story is hard to believe then check out the past test grades of the students. if they all do miraculously on the next exam (to which they had the answers), but they did poorly on all t he others, then something is definitely worth checking out because good students (who have had good test scores in the past) would NOT be paying for answers.

The poster said this was a summer class which he, most likely, just started. I doubt they have prior exam grades in this class.

before sending the email, try to get proof. here's my suggestion: cosy up to the students that you think got the answers. study together for an hour or two. cladestinely assess whether they have the test. be subtle. if after this be-friending attempt your suspicions are the same (or greater), then think about the mode of ratting them out. First, however, get your facts (or as many of them as you can).

He's no longer anonymous if he does that. When the students find out someone snitched, they'll know who it was if he suddenly became their friend.

To the original poster: I think you should email the professor and tell him that you heard the answer key is making the rounds, as others have suggested.

I have no tolerance for cheaters, but you must be sure before you incriminate a fourth-year PhD candidate and soil his reputation.

maybe they were naked pictures of Bea Arthur!

I think this has something to do with the San Diego State drug ring.

ORRRRRRRRRR.... you can tell them that the jig is up and threaten to expose them all (students AND TA) and not get access to the test materials for yourself, but ALSO extort them out of $$$. Then you get test answers AND some cash.

Genius, right?

In all seriousness, I would bring it up only if you're certain about it. Because that's a heavy accusation to make unless you're pretty sure about it.

i'd say to force the TA to tell you the answers too, or else you will rat them out. all anonymously over email of course.

i'd say to force the TA to tell you the answers too, or else you will rat them out. all anonymously over email of course.

haha, i agree. something along the lines of "have my copy of the exam answers in a folder on the bookshelf facing the northwest corner of room 8N at 1:30 p.m. or your *** is toast"

All this over an analytical chem test?

I have a question, why does he have to remain anonymous? Just give your suspicions to your teacher and the conversation should be confidential...would you get in trouble if you accused him and you were wrong? Or say to keep an eye for for so and so's test grades.

But I think you should rat them out, giving three students an unfair advantage to a difficult test and screwing people over with the curve? That's really lame.

I think you should tell your professor your suspicions from what you saw. They may or may not have cheated, but the professor needs to find out so he can deal with the situtation properly. :)

I don't know where you go to school...but I went to a small liberal arts college. A girl I know e-mailed a bunch of people to get answers for a test. She set up an "anonymous" hotmail account. BUT, she did it on a school computer...i.e, from a computer in the schools "network." You know...the ones that you have to log onto with a username and password. She got caught because they traced it back to her being logged onto that computer at that specific time. If you want to keep your anonymity, DO NOT do it via an e-mail from a school computer. It may seem obvious, but I've heard of similar situations at other schools. People just don't think sometimes. This is just my $0.02...

I know you're not trying to cheat or anything...I'm just suggesting that e-mails are not always a good way to be anonymous. Good luck with whatever you decide to do! :luck:

Just to play the "devils advocate", what if they were giving the TA money for a gift for someone? What if you are wrong is all I am saying? If you really think that the test is compromised, you should report this but things might not alway be what you see.

I think you owe it to the other honest students in your class to tell the professor what you saw.

As for method, if e-mail tracing is a concern, there's always the United States Postal Service. Or a telegram :smuggrin:

I thought something was fishy
Why?

so I tried to look and see what was happening.
Without being noticed by four people who would be watching closely?

(I think it was money)
Because anything less just wouldn't be exciting. Certainly not their lab reports or fantasy football roster.

and the TA giving them a stack a paper. I'm not sure, but I think that the paper the TA might have given them was the answer key to next week's test.
Must be quite the exam if the answer key is a stack of paper. Most tests are 5-15 pages. It couldn't possibly be the lab reports that they hadn't picked up from before and were now getting back after being graded.

Why?

Without being noticed by four people who would be watching closely?

Because anything less just wouldn't be exciting. Certainly not their lab reports or fantasy football roster.

Must be quite the exam if the answer key is a stack of paper. Most tests are 5-15 pages. It couldn't possibly be the lab reports that they hadn't picked up from before and were now getting back after being graded.

Well, I think 3 students walking to the storage room(which only the TA could go in) with the TA is kind of fishy. I was standing far away pretending to do my work. And why would the TA go to the storage room to give students back a lab reports? Why wouldn't he do it infront of me?

Well, I think 3 students walking to the storage room(which only the TA could go in) with the TA is kind of fishy. I was standing far away pretending to do my work. And why would the TA go to the storage room to give students back a lab reports? Why wouldn't he do it infront of me?
Because he had the lab reports in the storage room for the next time they came to class.

I would go to my university's dean of students office...I don't think they'd volunteer your identity to the professor....at least I don't think my school's wouldn't....just a suggestion.

If there really was something underhanded going on, why would someone be so stupid as to try to pull it off on campus during lab where anybody from the class could catch them? It doesn't make sense.

And you said it yourself, you're not absolutely sure what happened. You don't know if money was exchanged. You don't know if they received test answers.

Throwing people under the bus like this is pretty bad form. You're making a very serious accusation based on what you admit is shaky evidence to begin with. Many professors would automatically assume they were guilty, even if it turns out they were not. How would you feel if you were in their same shoes that someone "ratted you out" for something you didn't do and you ended up with an academic dishonesty mark on your permanent record (or worse yet, possible suspension/expulsion).