cmoney

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2005
7
0
Status
Is the actual RC test closer to Kaplan or to TopScore. My scores are drastically different on the two. It seems like Kaplan's is a lot longer and has more science. TopScore doesn't have as much detail and depth.

Thanks for helping!
 

Notoriousjae

DAT Rockstar
10+ Year Member
May 23, 2006
468
0
38
Status
Pre-Dental
cmoney said:
Is the actual RC test closer to Kaplan or to TopScore. My scores are drastically different on the two. It seems like Kaplan's is a lot longer and has more science. TopScore doesn't have as much detail and depth.

Thanks for helping!


they are indeed very different and i am concerned about this as well. I'm not sure which one is closer to the real thing but i did much better on the topscore RC than the kaplan RC. i hope the actual RC is nothing like the ones in the kaplan tests. :eek:
 

cocokeala

katonk!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 30, 2006
118
0
33
california
Status
Dental Student
oyy i've actually been getting the same scores with kaplan and topscore. but i did notice that kaplans are little more hefty than topscores.
 
About the Ads

d2lhp

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2006
17
0
Status
Pre-Dental
To me, the setup of RC of Topscore is closer to real test (they have several short paragraphs), but the types of questions are a little bit different. Topscore asks for details, my real test asked for both details and opinion.
 

rchuloholla

Probationary Status
10+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2006
287
1
Status
Pre-Dental
yea it was closer to topscore.. but topscore had alot of "copy paste" questions..wehre it were word to word.. in the read deal.. ur gonna hve some tricker questions..but the score u get in topscore..closely resemebles what u will get in the real deal (in my case at least)
 

RozhonDDS

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2006
505
0
Syracuse
Status
Dental Student
The real DAT is NOTHING like topscore. In topscore you can find the answer word for word in the paragraph. On the real DAT they ask you question suck as "What's the main point of this paragraph" and the answers are very similar. Also the answer in the paragraph aren't word for word. I even had to do a mathmatical problem for on question it was pretty odd. I averaged 23-25 on topscore and received a 19 on the real thing so be very careful on how you approach this section!
 

messenger

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2006
214
0
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
anyone know how the real deal RC compares with dat achiever? :(
 
OP
C

cmoney

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2005
7
0
Status
Wow. I didn't even start thinking about this until now. I thought the test was going to be "copy and paste" like TS. Now I'm definitely worried since I've taken all my practice tests already.
 

Notoriousjae

DAT Rockstar
10+ Year Member
May 23, 2006
468
0
38
Status
Pre-Dental
RozhonDDS said:
The real DAT is NOTHING like topscore. In topscore you can find the answer word for word in the paragraph. On the real DAT they ask you question suck as "What's the main point of this paragraph" and the answers are very similar. Also the answer in the paragraph aren't word for word. I even had to do a mathmatical problem for on question it was pretty odd. I averaged 23-25 on topscore and received a 19 on the real thing so be very careful on how you approach this section!

how many "What's the main point of this paragraph" type of questions did they have? Did they have one for each passage? OMG now i am actually freaking over this section. If the real DAT is nothing like topscore i'm gonna be screwed.
 

thehipster

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2006
312
0
NYC
Status
Dental Student
How was the real RC compared to DAT Achiever?
 

RozhonDDS

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2006
505
0
Syracuse
Status
Dental Student
Notoriousjae said:
how many "What's the main point of this paragraph" type of questions did they have? Did they have one for each passage? OMG now i am actually freaking over this section. If the real DAT is nothing like topscore i'm gonna be screwed.

They had about 3 per passage
 

sheikha9

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 1, 2005
48
0
Status
Pre-Optometry
hey everyone

i took my DAT yesterday, 7/17 and scored a mere 19 on RC but on the topscore practice ones I was scoring 22-24 and kaplan i scored 20-22

my RC had quite a few opinion based questions

the worst part of the real RC was that after you went to the next question, the whole passage would jump to the first paragraph, even if you were somewhere in the middle...which was a real bummer because Topscore and kaplan both saved your place in passage

and my RC had barely any 'word by word' lines like topscore did!

hope that helps..either way, whatever i did for practicing RC didn't work...so I certainly am no expert
 

Clover

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2005
125
0
Status
Pre-Dental
another question: how does RC on DAT compare with Achiever?
 
About the Ads