RC questions for people who have taken DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LetsGo2DSchool

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been practicing RC with CDR since the feedback was that the actual passages resemble CDR the most with the difference being less tone questions.

Thus, I've been cruising thru with CDR as the paragraphs are nicely numbered and manageable without heavy details. However, when I took the 2009 exam today, the paragraphs were much longer with a lot more details.

So my questions to the people who have taken the DAT:

1) Are the paragraphs numbered?

2) How does it compare in length and complexity with those in CDR?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been practicing RC with CDR since the feedback was that the actual passages resemble CDR the most with the difference being less tone questions.

Thus, I've been cruising thru with CDR as the paragraphs are nicely numbered and manageable without heavy details. However, when I took the 2009 exam today, the paragraphs were much longer with a lot more details.

Heard 2009 RC wasn't representative of the real DAT.

I took mine in June, but... I still see my version floating around (by looking at the percentiles). Anyways.. to answer your questions...

1. YEHHHH

2. length: similarrrrr (12-14 paragraphs)
complexity: similarrrrr (layman terms, not too technical)

Heard 2009 RC wasn't representative of the real DAT.

I took mine in June, but... I still see my version floating around (by looking at the percentiles). Anyways.. to answer your questions...

1. YEHHHH

2. length: similarrrrr (12-14 paragraphs)
complexity: similarrrrr (layman terms, not too technical)

Music to my ears!

1) Yes
2) Length of real test is longer...14-22 paragraphs. If I remember correctly, some of CDR passages are only 9 paragraphs?? Similar complexity...

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought the passages in the 2009 practice exam was more difficult than the actual DAT; but that's just the luck of the draw. I got three science passages which I was familiar with and reading on screen is much easier than paper, at least for me. I think if you normally read alot you should be fine. I got a 22 on the 2009 and a 25 on the real thing. How have you been doing on the 2009? That one passage on amino acid was super tough....

I thought the passages in the 2009 practice exam was more difficult than the actual DAT; but that's just the luck of the draw. I got three science passages which I was familiar with and reading on screen is much easier than paper, at least for me. I think if you normally read alot you should be fine. I got a 22 on the 2009 and a 25 on the real thing. How have you been doing on the 2009? That one passage on amino acid was super tough....

Did you by any chance try to do practice test #1 in Achiever RC. I literally looked at the passage and was like wtf. The passages have terms like 30 letters long. I stopped short in Achiever RC and guessed them all. :rolleyes:

I just took my DAT. Personally, I thought Kaplan RC was the most representative of the DAT. But I didn't use achiever or CDR. A couple of tips on what worked for me.

-You can highlight text with the mouse. So highlight the paragraph that you know the answer is in. It helped the answer stick out for me. I thought that was helpful.
-Skim topic sentences of each paragraph and then S&D. The key to S&D is not to panic and if you can't find it after looking through the entire passage don't get frustrated, skip it. By the end of the questions you might find the answer by S&D'ing a different answer. Even on inference or tone questions so long as you locate the paragraph the information is in, it usually isnt that bad. Most of my tone questions were pretty easy.
-Do not rely on prior information that you know. Sometimes there would be an answer that based on what i knew is the right answer but in the passage it says something different. Use what you know as a guide(as in look for it to be confirmed) but don't rely on it.
-Also, realize that all the information you need is in the passage. Don't make unneeded assumptions based on a vague idea of what you think the answer is. Some paragraphs/sentences may vaguely give you a sense of the answer but there is usually another one that details it much more clearly.

I just took my DAT. Personally, I thought Kaplan RC was the most representative of the DAT. But I didn't use achiever or CDR. A couple of tips on what worked for me.

-You can highlight text with the mouse. So highlight the paragraph that you know the answer is in. It helped the answer stick out for me. I thought that was helpful.
-Skim topic sentences of each paragraph and then S&D. The key to S&D is not to panic and if you can't find it after looking through the entire passage don't get frustrated, skip it. By the end of the questions you might find the answer by S&D'ing a different answer. Even on inference or tone questions so long as you locate the paragraph the information is in, it usually isnt that bad. Most of my tone questions were pretty easy.
-Do not rely on prior information that you know. Sometimes there would be an answer that based on what i knew is the right answer but in the passage it says something different. Use what you know as a guide(as in look for it to be confirmed) but don't rely on it.
-Also, realize that all the information you need is in the passage. Don't make unneeded assumptions based on a vague idea of what you think the answer is. Some paragraphs/sentences may vaguely give you a sense of the answer but there is usually another one that details it much more clearly.

In my opinion, your third point and fourth point somewhat contradicted itself. You said "use what you know as a guide"; however, "use what you know" somewhat blended in with assumptions.

I don't recommend skimming and then S&D because there is enough time to read and comprehend the passages. You also are risking a passage with alot of tone and inference and then you have to switch methods. Read and try your best to comprehend. Like I said, you should be able to read the passage under 8 minutes; practice it and you will see this is very doable. The other 12 minutes should be plenty of time to answer the questions. From what I've seen on SND, most people who S&D don't score as high as people who read. And I think its basically defeating the purpose of the meaning of "reading comprehension". If English is not your second language, then you should be fine.

Don't S&D. It's a gimmick. I used to do S&D and soon realized I was being a plain fool employing this flawed technique.

Now I can read and comprehend while writing down key words for each paragraph in less than 8 min per passage. With the written roadmap/index, 12 min is plenty of time to find your appropriate paragraphs to answer all the questions.

Also, getting the "gist" from S&D doesn't ensure that you'll answer tone questions correctly. What are you going to do when you see two or three tone answer choices that seem plausible? Guess?

dang, you road map and write keywords under 8 min?

I tried road mapping (kaplan method) and I couldn't do it fast enough so I just write down the keywords for each paragraph and keep the general flow in my head. I wish I could read fast like you.

dang, you road map and write keywords under 8 min?

I tried road mapping (kaplan method) and I couldn't do it fast enough so I just write down the keywords for each paragraph and keep the general flow in my head. I wish I could read fast like you.

Not a full roadmap. Just 4-5 words which normally includes dates, stats, names of people, important terms, etc.

ooh I see. I guess I'm using the same technique as you lol. I just hope that real DAT passages are not as detail oriented as some topscore passages.

I don't recommend skimming and then S&D because there is enough time to read and comprehend the passages. You also are risking a passage with alot of tone and inference and then you have to switch methods. Read and try your best to comprehend. Like I said, you should be able to read the passage under 8 minutes; practice it and you will see this is very doable. The other 12 minutes should be plenty of time to answer the questions. From what I've seen on SND, most people who S&D don't score as high as people who read. And I think its basically defeating the purpose of the meaning of "reading comprehension". If English is not your second language, then you should be fine.

Suck right! If English is your second language, then you basically have to do what you can, especially for me. English is my third or fourth language (I don't even know now), and RC is as hard as getting Simmon Cowell to like you. I know right! GRR

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a full roadmap. Just 4-5 words which normally includes dates, stats, names of people, important terms, etc.

CDR is the best representation of the DAT. Although real DAT has a lot more S&D questions that are very easy to find and less of the confusing questions that CDR has (some questions had bs type answers that could go either way and did not make sense.)

Yea everyone is different on what works for them. I would suggest finding a strategy that works, stick with it, and dont panic.

For the third point I was referring to a question like "such and such theory is referring to this". You know the theory and, it is exactly one of the answer choices but the text may refer to it in a different way. But since you know what the theory is look for those key words in the passage to confirm it.

For the fourth point I mean sometimes you will read a paragraph and think hmm it sort of answers the question but not really. Let me choose that answer and move on is the wrong mentality as it is most likely answered more clearly in a different paragraph.

Let me clarify about my method of S&D, maybe its not necessarily what S&D is. By that i mean you find the key detail through S&D and then you read the entire paragraph where you think the answer might be. At the end of it you wont necessarily have to read every paragraph in detail, but you will read the majority of them. I got multiple tone questions that were focused on the author's view regarding one paragraph each time.

For me, I practiced writing things down but realized I was writing a lot of pointless things down and that by the end of skimming, I pretty much knew where to find key terms. Also, the placement of paragraphs was clear in my head. Again though everyone is different, what works for you may not work for me or vice versa.

If you do S&D but have no comprehension of the paragraph the answer is in whatsoever, then that only works in practice tests. I'd agree that strategy is a gimmick.

Don't S&D. It's a gimmick. I used to do S&D and soon realized I was being a plain fool employing this flawed technique.

Now I can read and comprehend while writing down key words for each paragraph in less than 8 min per passage. With the written roadmap/index, 12 min is plenty of time to find your appropriate paragraphs to answer all the questions.

Also, getting the "gist" from S&D doesn't ensure that you'll answer tone questions correctly. What are you going to do when you see two or three tone answer choices that seem plausible? Guess?

Heyo LG2DS, I must disagree sir. I never practiced search and destroy but did your same method. But after reading how easy the questions were on the real thing, you may want to still consider s&d as a back up plan and maybe practice it a little if you have a spare hour or two. The rc section is pretty simple, and even though I never practiced and didn't use s&d on the test, I could tell it would very easily accomplished with either method.

Heyo LG2DS, I must disagree sir. I never practiced search and destroy but did your same method. But after reading how easy the questions were on the real thing, you may want to still consider s&d as a back up plan and maybe practice it a little if you have a spare hour or two. The rc section is pretty simple, and even though I never practiced and didn't use s&d on the test, I could tell it would very easily accomplished with either method.

You make a good point. I guess it depends on the passage. Some can be done with S&D while others can't. I'm just going to do some push-ups during the break to get myself all pumped up and concentrate like a hawk during RC as though my life depended on it.

You make a good point. I guess it depends on the passage. Some can be done with S&D while others can't. I'm just going to do some push-ups during the break to get myself all pumped up and concentrate like a hawk during RC as though my life depended on it.

Little advice by the way... Make sure your shorts/pants pockets are lint free. When they made me empty my pockets, I was making it rain some major amounts of lint, making it look like Fargo in there. Not to mention the lady frowned her butt off at me for ruining her cavity search area.

Little advice by the way... Make sure your shorts/pants pockets are lint free. When they made me empty my pockets, I was making it rain some major amounts of lint, making it look like Fargo in there. Not to mention the lady frowned her butt off at me for ruining her cavity search area.

Lol, I plan to wear a long sleeve shirt just in case if those Prometric people aren't Johnny-on-the-spot with replacing laminated sheets and I have to resort to using spit. I don't care if I have to use my tongue and lick that sheet clean lol.

Lol, I plan to wear a long sleeve shirt just in case if those Prometric people aren't Johnny-on-the-spot with replacing laminated sheets and I have to resort to using spit. I don't care if I have to use my tongue and lick that sheet clean lol.

where in NY are you taking the exam>? what center? my center in Long Island had me get up and get new boards. I found this faster than waiting, I only changed my boards twice. Once between sciences and PAT and then during the break. And the pens they give you are awesome. Dont do the spit thing, you dont need it, just get new sheets. it takes longer to be nasty then it is to get up. Trust me! lol

I politely disagree.

I used S&D on my test and scored 24. I would approximate that I used it for 95% of the RC section. Leading up to the test, I utilized road mapping and it wouldn't work for me. I'm too detailed and ended up spending WAY too much time making the map.

Anyway, good luck!

Also, when I took the test, they did not allow me to erase. They supplied no erasers and required me to turn in the sheets, marked, before receiving new sheets.

Also, when I took the test, they did not allow me to erase. They supplied no erasers and required me to turn in the sheets, marked, before receiving new sheets.
I found that I didn't need to erase in general, but when I did...I used my spit. I joked about it with my TCA and he was like "oh you dentists, not afraid of spit!" Good guy.

Paragraphs are indeed numbered. Passages were longer and more complex than CDR. CDR lacked in the technical/scientific passages. TopScore passages are more representative of the real DAT type of RC questions/passages you will see.

The usefulness of search and destroy varies from test to test. an element of luck comes into play as to what type of passages you get.

Search and destroy takes absolutely ZERO practice. Its not like you have to flip back and forth. the passage is right below the question. Look at question find an obvious keyword and search for it.

the best way to approach RC is to assume search and destroy won't work for your passages. It gives you practice for able to comprehend enough so that you will have yourself covered if you encounter tone/opinion heavy question sets. If you practice reading it will likely help you in picking up speed so when you can search and destroy you can skim through much faster.