RC SCORES VS DAT BOOTCAMP/GENIUS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ohsnap23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
On Genius RC #4 and #5 and DAT Bootcamp RC #1 I scored 20's on all of them. I feel pretty good on my method because Genius had paragraphs ranging from 10-12, whereas Bootcamp had 13-17. How do these compare to the real DAT? How long are the passages and in depth with the questions typically? I'm trying to get a 21+ in RC.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Passage length and depth can vary significantly, there's really no predicting what you might come across. Continue practicing and a 21 should be achievable if you're already doing fine on practice tests.

Reactions: 1 user
i think the best way to go into RC isn't to try to guess/expect what kind of passage you're going to get but to get ready to face anything. I think i was able to prepare for this best by reading a few articles everyday, specifically scientific american. I think the better you are at reading and comprehending a wide variety of articles, the better prepared you will be.

Members don't see this ad :)
On Genius RC #4 and #5 and DAT Bootcamp RC #1 I scored 20's on all of them. I feel pretty good on my method because Genius had paragraphs ranging from 10-12, whereas Bootcamp had 13-17. How do these compare to the real DAT? How long are the passages and in depth with the questions typically? I'm trying to get a 21+ in RC.

Thanks!

I believe that you'll do fine on the DAT (21+ is def not out of the question). As said previously, RC varies in question content and passage length. But yeah i wouldnt worry at all you are good

Thanks!

I would say it is pretty comparable. Sometimes you get lucky on the DAT and get a passage that you are already familiar with. Any RC resource will help as it will get you comfortable reading and analyzing text efficiently

Thank you all for the wonderful replies, just wanted to see if there was a trend with the number of paragraphs! But reviewing with multiple resources seems to be all you can do!

Good job so far; I am curious what is your method?
Hey thanks, so I basically do the "map" method. I read the first 2-3 paragraphs in detail, while keeping the first question in mind. I then map the rest of the article until I hit that question. I consider myself good at skimming, so I just write down any key words! 10 mins to read, 10 mins to answer per passage!

Search and destroy is the method that worked best for me. I am very good and skimming for information and I was able to pull off a 23 and 24 on DAT Bootcamp RC just days before my real test. The real DAT had extremely easy passages on topics I was familiar with. In fact, I was able to finish with 15 minutes to spare. This method works great for me, and attempting to read the passages absolutely killed my timing on this section. On the real DAT, I scored a 26. I think that DAT Bootcamp is excellent preparation for this portion of the exam. It is designed to be slightly more difficult that the real exam.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey thanks, so I basically do the "map" method. I read the first 2-3 paragraphs in detail, while keeping the first question in mind. I then map the rest of the article until I hit that question. I consider myself good at skimming, so I just write down any key words! 10 mins to read, 10 mins to answer per passage!

Thank you for your reply, I would say keep on practicing, try to buy Qvault tests as well, just so you get exposed to different tests.
Best of luck!