RC: To scan or to read?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aranjuez

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was wondering what the best way to go about doing this section is. I found that when I just scanned for the keywords, I finished earlier and got a better score on my practice exams than when I actually read and made an outline. Any suggestions from those who've already taken the test, maybe tried both methods?

aranjuez

Members don't see this ad.

i scanned through it.. i think reading is a waste of time.

what i did was I read teh questions.. picked out a keyword or two from the question..and scanned for those particular words in the passage.

it worked pretty well i think.. i got a 20 on the RC

...and if u get a question taht asks for "main idea" or something like that.. pick a random answer.. and mark it.. come back when ur done..and the question will be easier.

GOOD LUCK! :D

hey armorshell, can you tell us how you worked your way through the RC in detail? I tried the "read question first and scanned for answer", but sometimes i get stuck in a question and i waste alot of time. So i need some help on this section. maybe i should scan a little bit slowly for a more accuracy? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey allstar, i take my dat tomorrow so i havent taken it yet.. but when i take achiever and topscore RC. I do scan, but if i come across a question that i dont know, i usually mark it if i cant find the answer in 45-60 seconds. then by the time you have answered the other questions you should be (hopefully) be able to pin point where the answer is that your looking for

i hope that helps! and good luck!

sundevildmd

SundevilDMD said:
hey allstar, i take my dat tomorrow so i havent taken it yet.. but when i take achiever and topscore RC. I do scan, but if i come across a question that i dont know, i usually mark it if i cant find the answer in 45-60 seconds. then by the time you have answered the other questions you should be (hopefully) be able to pin point where the answer is that your looking for

i hope that helps! and good luck!

sundevildmd

i see. ok thanks alot sundevil for ur advice!