RCSI ---> California Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oconnslo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question I am hoping current RCSI students and recent grads can help me answer.

Is it possible to obtain a residency position in California immediately after graduating from RCSI?

I have heard from a few sources that foreign grads are not equipped with the proper amount of one class or another to qualify for a California residency right after graduation, and that they must go through more classes in the states in order to qualify.

My decision to go to Ireland hinges on whether or not I can come back to CA for residency, so the answer to this question is very important to me.

Thanks for your help! :horns:

Members don't see this ad.

Wasn't this sort of discussed on another recent thread (Thoughts on RCSI)? What did you find out so far from other sources?

General rule of thumb for anything IMG (relative to the US of course as technically US grads are IMGs to Ireland) - anything non-US is pretty much lumped into the same category. So applied to your question this time, if Ireland is not accepted in California, no other IMG schools would be (bar those who have reciprocity and lengthy agreements with US schools - spend many months of traiing in the US).

As you may have seen in other posts recently, there has been some success with Irish (not just Surgeons grads alone) getting into Californian programs.

Overall, if you cherish just getting back into California, not "suffering" for a few years in another state and becoming a physician for "samaritan means only", do not apply to anywhere outside the United States.

I don't say this to be rude, but for the most part, applicants do not have the luxury of choosing where they want to go. Also, chances are if you are thinking of medical school outside the US, then there is an increased probability that one cannot choose his/her medical school in the US and overall.

Anyway...

do any RCSI students or recent grads have any helpful information to offer? I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
As pattycanuck said, which applies to all Irish IMGs and not just RCSI, there's no absolute guarantee that you'll achieve Californian residency. However, there are some things to bolster your chances... 1) being from California and 2) doing a few electives in Califorinian hospitals. The odds might be stacked more against you than other states, but it is not an impossibility.

I am a final med from UCD. I have matched to California for residency. There are two main obstacles to achieving licensing in California.

1) In order to obtain a california medical license an international graduate must have 4 months of ACGME General medicine training, 4 weeks of family practice training in medical school, and an ECFMG certificate before practicing in california

2) You may begin residency training in california without a state license if you meet the requirements for a Post Graduate Training Authorization Letter (PTAL). The difficulty with this is that the application cannot be processed until you receive your diploma, certfication of course completion and form L5. then it takes up to 60-90 days for the state of california to process your application. The problem is one of timing. At UCD the earliest we can receive our diplomas is May 11th, therefore I would miss nearly the first month of residency.

All of this can be found on the medical board of california web page.
Ways to get around:
1) do a prelim outside of Calif, then continue in to calif
2) Apply for a late starting residency
3) Begin with a transitional year for your first month do a research rotation
4) take a gamble that they will process your app swiftly

What is the great thing about California?

I noticed numerous posts about residency in California.
I am assuming that the interested parties want California because of the climate - if thats the case why not consider New Mexico or even WA?

Just a thought, please share your thoughts

(I hope its not for Pamela...Borat already tried that and you saw what happened to him!)