RCSI!!HELP!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bossman1818

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am a Canadian first year college student (recent graduate from high school) applying to RCSI and UCD through the atlantic bridge program.(RCSI is my first choice). In an attempt to not get my hopes up, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what my chances for admission are?
High school: Math 91%, Calculus 90%, Physics 82%, English 84%, Chemistry 86%, Social 91%, Biology 95%, with an overall average of 90%. They told me that the average for those accepted is 85%, yet I still worry.
As well, I have extensive volunteer experience in a variety of medical and non-medical settings, including two missions trips to Mexico. I am very much involved in sports, including hockey and lacrosse, as well, I also coach younger teams. Do my chances look good, or is this a long shot? Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

i have a feeling you will do fine...i know a few folks that got in after college, but there were very average with grades.

the european schools tend to let you in a little easier, and if you suck they seem to be more apt to flunk out than in north american schools. i like the idea, because it gives you a chance to study medicine without having some admissions comittee decide whether you should be a doctor. anyhow, fear not bossman, i think your acceptance letter is on the way!

Your chances are probably good. It's different though because I'm not sure how many 6 yr. (that's what you'd be) international students RCSI accepts. UCD probably accepts quite a few. RCSI is known for accomodating foreign students very well, though. Just a note...in Dublin, they don't have hockey and lacrosse :). If you say hockey, they'll think "field hockey," so mention specifically "ice hockey." Plus, RCSI doesn't have sports clubs/teams, if being in a club is important to you. However, people from RCSI sometimes are allowed to join teams from UCD and Trinity.

Best of luck, just apply and see what happens! I don't think you'll have problems.

~Rach

Members don't see this ad :)
Rach,

ctually, RCSI has an awesome selection of sports clubs/teams, and some of them do very well. As for ice hockey, since there are lots of north americans, there is interest in ice hockey. Somebody was even trying to organize an ice hockey team.

Just thought I'd correct your mistake.

Hey,

REALLY? Sorry about the misinformation! One of the girls I rowed with briefly at Trinity was from RCSI, and she gave me the impression that RCSI has no sports teams! Maybe she meant just rowing clubs, but somehow I extended that to all clubs. Mea culpa! Hope you're having fun :). Good luck with the ice hockey. As far as I know, the only rink nearby (in Dolphin's Barn I think) closed down. I think there might be another just outside the city. There's got to be some somewhere!