RCSI-Medical University of Bahrain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey guys, any of you know what is rcsi bahrain's gpa range???

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys, any of you know what is rcsi bahrain's gpa range???

hey there,
the GPA range required at RCSI-MUB , is in the same range as required at RCSI Dublin,
some of the Canadian students who started at RCSI-MUB last year, came through the Atlantic Bridge Program,
i would contact ABP, or contact the university directly, the university will put you in contact with Canadian students attending the university in Bahrain, www.rcsi-mub.com

hope this helps,
finalpath

Does anyone have an interview date in Canada or the US for RCSI-MUB, or have these interview dates been set yet........

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone...i have a few questions for those who r alreddy going to RCSI bahrain...i hope u guys can answer them:

1) How are the hospitals (r there a lot of patients, is it busy -- you're actually doing something, how many beds are there?)

2) How is bahrain...is it similar to dubai in terms of wheather, quality of life, and cost of living? cuz i've lived in dubai but ive never been to bahrain...

3) Where do you do your clinicals?

4) Once you achieve your degree can u practice anywhere in the gulf...is it like EU citizenship where u can practice anywhere in the european union?

5) How are the classes, profs, clubs and sports...is it open to females?

6) Can you mention some of the problems your facing there it all seems so gd rite now but do u have any regrets?

7) Sorry for the plathora of questions...this is the last one... if u don't mind, what were your rough averages when you applied...im currently at 88% (from highschool) i dunno if i can get in with that average...and yep i hav done tons of volunteer work and plenty of extra curricular activities to back me up...

Any feedback wud be helpful, thanks
Study247

can anyone help!!!
i checked their website and the new building's plans look wonderful....just wondering is it really gonna be like that and plz if sum1 cud answer questions 1, 3, 4 and 5 from the message above...plz

Hi guyz!!!
Im from SA and i applied to RCSI Bahrain!!
did anyone here apply?get accepted??

hey i applied as well...havent heard anything from them yet...wat about u?

hey all
i joined this forum just today.
i had my interview for RCSI-MUB 2 days ago. it went kind of well and they said i wud hear from them in 2 weeks.
i was lucky to have it here in oman instead of flying to bahrain.
so yea....

hey all
i joined this forum just today.
i had my interview for RCSI-MUB 2 days ago. it went kind of well and they said i wud hear from them in 2 weeks.
i was lucky to have it here in oman instead of flying to bahrain.
so yea....

hey!!!
congrats on ur interview!!!:D gd job...im still waiting for mine...but i applied late so i guess my interview will be later on as well...so how did it go? wat sort of questions did they ask u? did u apply to ireland as well? gd luck and i hope u get accepted;)

Hi Everyone, I also applied to RCSI-MUB and I got my invitation letter today. I actually applied through the Atlantic Bridge program and was meant to have my interview in New York but I chose to fly to Bahrain and see the school. About some of the questions someone posted, I spoke to a student at MUB and he gave me good feedback. He told me it was a good school and he has nothing but good things to say about it. But he did complain about the school work, which is expected. Well good luck to everyone and hope we all get it.

From what i know, there are interviews for RCSI-MUB being held in Canada at the end of May..........
so RCSI-MUB is still accepting North American Students

another thing is places at RCSI-MUB can become available towards the middle to the end of August, and right up until about a week before class begin,
..........so if you are short-listed there is a good chance of getting a place,........also there is nothing lost in ringing RCSI-MUB in Bahrain around this time, asking them if places have become available.........and asking them to re-look at your application..................

foundation year students can leave to go study something else , so places become available for the 1st medical year.............

so don't give up, it ain't over till the 1st day of classes begin,

wishing everyone all the best,

finalpath

I have a question for Canadians, how are you paying for school if you aren't eligible for the RBC Student Lines of Credit?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! I wanted to clarify a few things here, I did my own homework and I do not completely agree with FinalPath in terms of the GPA. I believe the entrance requirements are a bit lower than that of Dublin.

Also, RCSI-MUB DOES NOT HAVE THE SAME COLLABORATIONS as RCSI-Dublin does in US. For instance, RCSI Dublin has formal collarborations with John Hopkins. MUB does not have them. This is just one example. They say they are "working" on these collaborations, but I am not too sure of that.

Anyhow, finding accomadation for individually is extremely hard and you would likely need to share with someone. ALso, YOU NEED A CAR!!! there is no transport system here...

Lastly, I dont know if you were fooled by the interviewers, but the degree is NOT THE SAME as you would receive in Dublin. You are receiving a degree from Bahrain, but it is still up to debate whether MUB will receive the NUI (national university of ireland) recognition. Also, despite of what is being told to you from Atlantic Bridge or the interviewers, DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!! Many students have been mislead regarding students loans, residency, and the degree itself!! You CAN NOT PRACTICE IN Canada in two of the provinces: ALBERTA and NEWFOUNDLAND. The reason is that the school has to be in existance for at least 10 years before you are allowed to do your residency in these provinces.

I URGE YOU TO DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU DECIDE TO COME HERE!! TAKE WHATEVER PEOPLE SAY WITH GRAIN OF SALT..

Thanks Shells, I really appreciate your feedback. I have been accepted to attend MUB in Sept (via Atlantic Bridge), however, I am considering re-applying in Canada again for next year.

Part of the issue is that I'm not from the Middle East and getting residency in Canada seems to be very difficult in the coming years. Is anyone planning to attend MUB or know people that are attending MUB? Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated!

I have applied to RCSI-MUB. I had done my research but it would be better if I discuss this further. I know that RCSI-MUB is recognized by WHO. But is there are possible chance to come back to Canada for residency. I thought RCSI dublin and RCSI-MUB have the same course material. But I heard recently that they have changed a bit of the JC-1 courses? I am not quite sure. Please help me out, so I can search for other alternatives.

hi

if you're from canada, europe or the US, my advise would be DO NOT come to rcsi-MUB. Not only is it becoming clear that the degree is differenet from Dublin, but that there is going to be a problem with MUB students who aren't bahraini nationals getting internship in Bahrain. At the moment, none bahrainis CANNOT do their internship in bahrain, which means that students from canada, us, europe will have to find some other country to do their internship. It's highly unlikely that canada is going to accept canadian students who graduated from MUB into an internship program. The US route will mean spending the next few years being slave to the USMLE.
Don't come to MUB unless you are so desperate your willing to take the risk.

I have recently been offered a place in MUB for the entry class
of 2008 September (five year medical program).

I am also a Canadian citizen, and as such found the last post interesting. I do however still have a few questions that I wanted to ask current students.

I such I hope you do not mind if I ask your association for some additional
information. Jumping right into it;

Will graduates (Canadian Citizens) be able to apply for internships in Bahrain?

Is it likely the degree will be recognized by the National University of
Ireland?

Realizing a class has not yet graduated, what can be expected about returning to
practice in Canada?

Is the instruction the same as Dublin? Are the instructors the same as the ones
in Dublin?

Where do you do your clinical rotations? How are these facilities?

Are there many patients? Do you see both male and female patients or is it
segregated?

Is the University new facility likely to be completed in time? Will this be an
significant improvement for the university?

Are there opportunities for exchange programs?If so is it true there is a
agreement to do clinical work at John Hopkins?

Do you recommend the University?

Hi all,
A decision of weather RCSI-MUB students will be granted the NUI degree is supposed to be made by the end of June.
lets hope it comes true.............

finalpath

in answer to your qs:

1. currently as it stands, non-bahrainis cant do their internships in salmaniya (the main teaching hospital). The university is working on changing this, but we have been warned that IF non-bahrainis remain as interns here, then they won't be paid for the internship.

2. It's not looking too hopeful on the NUI front I'm afraid. From what I hear, it doesn't look like we will be joining NUI at the moment.

3. Lots of Canadians I speak to seem to plan on going the US route so they will have to go through the USMLE process. Canada is a tough place to get to and if you're graduating from a non canadian med school and a new one at that, then your chances of working in Canada are extremely slim.

4. the curriculum is identical to dublin. the instructors are a mixture of irish and arab staff.

5. clinicals are done in the BDF hospital and salmaniya hospital. Both have a history of training doctors from AGU med school in bahrain.

6. you get to see male and female patients. but language is an issue. if you don't speak arabic you are definitely at a disadvantage.

7. the new univ premises are due to be ready in part by sept this year. I'm not holding my breath though!. The new teaching hospital is going to take years to build.

i have not heard of any agreemnts with any other hospitals especially John Hopkins.
Students have to arrange their own electives if they are outside of bahrain. The uni won't run around finding electives for you.
you can do an exchange with RCSI dublin for one semester if you get chosen because they have more students applying for the number of places.

finally, i will pass on the last qs!!!

When you mean by internships, do you mean residency?

internship is the all important year after you graduate (before residency). in many countries, if you dont have an internship year under your belt, they won't look at you.

i know there are alot of anxious students on the forum, but seriously guys if you can get into med school wherever you are in the world, then i suggest you stay where you are.If you're from canada, then you shouldn't come to MUB. Its too risky and too new to be taken seriously at the moment.

I heard end of June RCSI-MUB may be eligible to get the same degree as RCSI. Does anyone know its status?

The board members have reccomended the NUI AND Bahrain degree. Which is AWESOME!! Because credentials will be from BOTH charters! Anyhow, the decision has to be made...and I believe it will come through in mid-July. The meeting that was suppose to happen in June has been done (proposed the above). Final decision in July.

Hi Shells,
That sounds great...hopefully it comes out positive...Please keep me informed.

Hey all,

I am new to this forum and have read alot of what other people have written, and so I decided to write one for myself. I need some help. I am currently completing my masters in biomedical sciences/oncology at Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo, NY. I recently got accepted to Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland-Medical University of Bahrain (RCSI-MUB) as well as Medical University of the Americas (MUA) and American University of Antigua (AUA). I wanted to know what people think about RCSI-MUB (hopefully from students who are already there) and how it compares to caribbean schools. I understand the RCSI's reputation is world-renowned so even though RCSI-MUB is relatively new, it seems that they are in good hands with the degree and teachers all coming from RCSI. But in terms of coming back to the US or Canada, which is better? If you all can please assist me in this matter it would be greatly appreciated. Finalpath or Beyond the Seas: Do you guys got any advice?

hi every1...
i had some questions about MUB...i would be graduating with a bachelors in dental surgery from india in 2009. and i am planning on applying to MUB by september 2008 for the 2009 session. what i wanted to know was -

has the degree finally got NUI status? what is the approximate cost of living? i had heard that with the new campus coming up in 2008 sept, there would be significant drop in living expenses...has that happened? and lastly, what are the chances of a somebody like me, already holding a professional degree, of getting an MCAT waiver?...
any help would be appreciated......

Hey guys,
I have read some of your posts, but I didn't get the part about NUI...
If MUB is a constituent of RCSI, then shouldn't it automatically fall under NUI? :rolleyes: Or am I not understanding the word "Constituent" in the right way? :confused:
I'm going to finish High School in the summer of 2011, so I'll probably apply for the 2011 September semester. :) So I was wondering if you guys are optimisitc towards the Uni by then... Are you? :oops: And will the new building be done by then?

trontonerd, I asked and min. GPA is 3.5 - so GOOD LUCK!

sooo? any updates anyone?
is it under NUI or not
can someone please confirm that its not a four year MD program they are offering??!?
i'll call tomorrow and ask but better ask you guys out there as well
after graduation, how can u come back to canada, ud have to write those mccqe tests , right?
n if u choose to go to US for clinicals, dont u need to pass usmle, anyone know whats the passing rate usmle steps from this med school? do they , at all, like caribbean schools, prepare you for it?

Hi, i went to the toronto interviews in May and was recently accepted into RCSI-MUB.

so what kinda questions did they ask in the interview?
i'm from india..how many students from india study in RCSI-MUB?
is it really that hard to get in there?
can i do my internship there after the hospital opens?

I got an e-mail from mub,they said that the interviews are between 15 to 20 march..:)

can arabs do the internship in bahrain????

I got an e-mail from mub,they said that the interviews are between 15 to 20 march..:)

can arabs do the internship in bahrain????

hey.
so the interviews are between 15th to 20thh march? but i hav my CBSE 12th grade board exams till march 21st...can they keep the interviews after 21st? or 21st will also be ok..do u think theyl extend??
im worried :scared:
ps. will a CBSE 12th mark of around 85-90 % get me admission there?

thanks!

Last edited:
ok i applied using the online form yesterday night...how long till they take to respond? any idea?

So, did RCSI-MUB get the NUI? How does getting NUI help the students studying there?

Hey everyone- I have been offered an interview with RCSI-MUB in a couple of weeks and I was hoping that someone could possibly shed some light on some of the questions they might ask or what it is they are looking for during the interview. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

i interviewed with rcsi mub on april 21st, and got the acceptance letter on may 2nd. although the letter itself has 22nd april written on it !:D
well as far the interview goes, it was about 40 minutes long, 2 ppl interview u...for they were a female psychiatrist dr. L and another teacher who taught english (irish guy)....i was scheduled for dr. J who teaches pathology but he was unavailable. the interview is relaxed, they tell u that before u even begin.

1. dress formally
2. carry ur original transcripts with u:cool:
3. be confident and dont fake idealistic stuff (its frowned upon).. .so none of the change the world crap:sleep:
4. think and speak, take 2 seconds, but be 100% confident of wt u are saying.

questions -
1. what brings u to bahrain?
2. why rcsi mub? 3. why doctor/why medicine? 4. a bit about ur family
5. what have u done in premed/ur related field of expertise ?
6. life in bahrain/do u know any1 here ? 7. have u done any research ?
8. common health problems in ur country? in bahrain?
9. how u plan to tackle a problem that uve seen around ?
10. how do u plan to fund ur education? how will u adjust to life in bahrain? 11. living is horribly expensive, have u planned out for that
12. extra curricular activities, sports ? special talents ?

i was told that my application is competitive and we hope to see u soon.

if u throw some light on ur stats, i can help u further.best of luck:thumbup:

Hey guys,
I have read some of your posts, but I didn't get the part about NUI...
If MUB is a constituent of RCSI, then shouldn't it automatically fall under NUI? :rolleyes: Or am I not understanding the word "Constituent" in the right way? :confused:
I'm going to finish High School in the summer of 2011, so I'll probably apply for the 2011 September semester. :) So I was wondering if you guys are optimisitc towards the Uni by then... Are you? :oops: And will the new building be done by then?

2011..huh...the new bulding is done since sep 08 and we'v been here for 7 months now...if that adds to your info...and the NUI has been confirmed...Gud Luck

Thanks so much Schandan- this should help me out in preparing for the interview.
:)

Thanks so much Schandan- this should help me out in preparing for the interview.

no worries, glad i could be of help.
relax and all the very best. remember, 1 out of 5-6 applicants are granted an interview, and 1 out 2-3 are given acceptance. if u've been granted an interview, you've already made the initial cut.

:laugh: Chill out tanga...thisz no harvard interview..this is Rcsi-mub. Easiest interview i ever had. if u have gud grades and can speak english, you're in... either in the 6 year program or even the 5 year...

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to point out the wikipedia page for RCSI-Bahrain has been updated so please take a look if you have any questions regarding the degree, name or campus.

Cheers

Hi everyone! As per university announcement, the NUI has been granted. Many students were fooled in thinking that coming to RCSI-MUB has an Irish degree. This WAS NOT the case. Many students fought to receive recognition to receive the NUI (Which gives you the status of an Irish degree). Well, it appears that we have received it, although no formal announcements have been made in NUI. So, do your research when you come here. ASK THE QUESTIONS!!!! Ask to see an official document stating that will be getting an Irish qualifications. This is YOUR LIFE and Career! Don't be afraid in asking them.

Also, I would like to point out that the people in MUB will tell you that all patients speak English. THIS IS NOT THE CASE. So, if you are not fluent in Arabic, then good luck. Currently, the students are pushing for Interpreter service to get the best out of their learning experience. Again, I urge you guys to ask!! The school will tell you that they will pair you up with an Arabic student. This however, DOES NOT WORK. So, in your interviews or if you have already done them, ask the administration about how you will interact with the patients.

hey.
so the interviews are between 15th to 20thh march? but i hav my CBSE 12th grade board exams till march 21st...can they keep the interviews after 21st? or 21st will also be ok..do u think theyl extend??
im worried :scared:
ps. will a CBSE 12th mark of around 85-90 % get me admission there?

thanks!

Hi there, so did you have your interview? Well, I also did my 12th Grade from FBSE in pakistan and got into the 5 year program last year but i was 91%. However, according to their entry requirements, you should have an average score of minimum 90% in pre-med subjects to be eligible for the 5 year program and don't worry about the interview, you can have an interview anytime before the classes start as for what happened last year. A surprising experience for me was that i applied on 20th of september with the online form when the classes were supposed to start on 3rd of October. i had my interview on my cell phone on 26th and got an acceptance letter the very next day..lol. But i have no idea about how things are gonna be this year and regarding your questions about indian students at MUB, Well there are a significant number of indian and paki students here but most of them are Overseas Desis, not all the way from south asia.
Hope that ansrs your Question.

Hi

I am a canadian student, and iam applying to the RCSI in Bahrain, but do i have to apply through The Atlantic bridge?? because getting accepted seems harder through that..does anyone have any idea about that??

and also do they only look at your grade 12 grades?? cuz i screwed up on the math in grade 11!

plzzz help :confused: