RDH/Predental moving to Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulDDStobe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, hope someone can help me with my decisions.
I am a 26 year old RDH, planning on moving to Houston, Texas in 1.5 years to be with my future husband. I will be leaving a good paying job here in DC but it will be worth it. Current GPA is 3.2 with Science GPA of 3.0. First DAT was 17. I am taking upper level bio courses for the next 2 semesters to bring up my GPA and studying for the DATs again. I was planning to reapply next year through AADSAS and to apply as out of state to 3 Texas schools. Here are my questions

1. Should I just wait 1 more year to be instate and apply to Texas schools? or should I just take a chance and apply next year and pray that I'll get in as OOS to Texas schools? with a year extra, I am looking at 3 years before I start D1, I would be 29 or 30 years old. Is that too late? I feel like ill be the oldest in class.

2. For Texas hygienist out there, how is the job market in Houston or nearby areas, looking at Austin and San Antonio. What is the pay like per hour? How hard is it to get Texas RDH license and a full time job? I read that it is a requirement to work 1 year in Texas to be considered instate, so I am thinking of just working for a year then apply to dental schools.

Decisions decision. Thank you all for helping :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, hope someone can help me with my decisions.
I am a 26 year old RDH, planning on moving to Houston, Texas in 1.5 years to be with my future husband. I will be leaving a good paying job here in DC but it will be worth it. Current GPA is 3.2 with Science GPA of 3.0. First DAT was 17. I am taking upper level bio courses for the next 2 semesters to bring up my GPA and studying for the DATs again. I was planning to reapply next year through AADSAS and to apply as out of state to 3 Texas schools. Here are my questions

1. Should I just wait 1 more year to be instate and apply to Texas schools? or should I just take a chance and apply next year and pray that I'll get in as OOS to Texas schools? with a year extra, I am looking at 3 years before I start D1, I would be 29 or 30 years old. Is that too late? I feel like ill be the oldest in class.

2. For Texas hygienist out there, how is the job market in Houston or nearby areas, looking at Austin and San Antonio. What is the pay like per hour? How hard is it to get Texas RDH license and a full time job? I read that it is a requirement to work 1 year in Texas to be considered instate, so I am thinking of just working for a year then apply to dental schools.

Decisions decision. Thank you all for helping :)

It's not going to hurt to apply as OOS, but it's hard to get in as an OOS with TX. Age is never a problem, so don't worry. I know people get in around 35 yrs old.

As for RDH jobs, I have heard the pay per hour is around 40-60s in Austin and SA areas. Not sure about other cities. And just for your reference, I think you just have to be in TX for a year to be a resident. Don't really need to work. BUT double check with TMDSAS since they decide your residency status while applying.

Hope this helps.

Sorry, ^thats not true. You need to have been "gainfully employed" for at least 1 year to have your residency if you moved to texas. Us texans dont want to pay for someones dental school who hasnt paid us taxes!!!! (unless you have KILLER stats and will help the school look good).

PS I'd save your money until you have residency to apply. A 17 DAT 3.2 gpa literally has a 0% chance as an OOS applicant. As an instate-URM (under represented minority), maybe... Bump the GPA up and rock the DAT. Those upper division classes will help the DAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, ^thats not true. You need to have been "gainfully employed" for at least 1 year to have your residency if you moved to texas. Us texans dont want to pay for someones dental school who hasnt paid us taxes!!!! (unless you have KILLER stats and will help the school look good).

PS I'd save your money until you have residency to apply. A 17 DAT 3.2 gpa literally has a 0% chance as an OOS applicant. As an instate-URM (under represented minority), maybe... Bump the GPA up and rock the DAT. Those upper division classes will help the DAT.
I wouldn't be so sure. An RDH with clinical experience who has the intention of practicing in Texas (especially if you would consider rural areas) might have a good chance. If Texas is where you want to live and practice dentistry, incorporate that into your personal statement.

umm..I'm Indonesian, so thats prolly not URM :-/
I am aware that I need a lot of improvement. By the time I reapply I will have all my upper bio classes, 2nd DAT score, more hygiene experience ( i work for the underserved community part time, i get paid nada there :-( and i will have abroad experience working with cleft palate patients and patients with facial disabilities ( working with my aunt to start a hygiene program in Indonesia for these patients), my recommendations letters are excellent so im not worry about that. I just feel the need to contribute to my aunt's organization on a bigger level, I want to be able to provide preventative and restorative dentistry there, but my GPA and DAT scores are on my way! They've been waiting on me to finish but its taking me forever! and then life happens, starting a family, hygiene career, moving, etc.

You guys's answer help a lot, I think my best bet is to work in tx first, I just wanna be close to my love ones in Texas and it would make more sense and safer if i apply as instate. I would just be old, but ill get over it. I hope it won't be too late to have kids after I graduate :-/ we women have a biological clock. lol.

thanks for the link, too, ill check those out ;-)

Oh man, about kids...
I had a professor who was pregnant during MS2 with her MD/PhD program. She managed to handle that, but it was crazy...
(this is just a side notes :p )

BTW buy a property for a year in TX also gives you residency = work for a year

Oh man, about kids...
I had a professor who was pregnant during MS2 with her MD/PhD program. She managed to handle that, but it was crazy...
(this is just a side notes :p )

BTW buy a property for a year in TX also gives you residency = work for a year
yea one of my girls in hygiene school was pregnant in the program, the baby is now my god daughter, but boy, her belly button accidentally pushed the down button on the dental chair while she was watching my other classmate delivering local anesthesia. it wasn't funny then. lol. but yea, she has the best support system throughout the program though, I don't think I can do what she did but who knows, depending on when i get into school :-/