JGreg09

10+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2008
Status
First MCAT

V-11 P-8 B-9 28Q

Second MCAT

V-11 P-12 B-9 32N (Got a wonderful Genetics Section on the MCAT instead of a Biology section...it was nice:rolleyes:)

GPA Overall 3.8
GPA Sci. 3.83

Finance Major

Spent last year working as a Nurse Tech on Critical Care Cardiac Floor.

Lots of volunteering at hospital and non hospital setting, college athlete...etc. etc.

Mayo
Michigan (U and state)
Colorado
Penn
Pitt
Harvard
Iowa
Albany
Brown
Dartmouth
George Washington
Georgetown
J Hopkins
U Washington
U Houston
Loyola
U of Chicago
Northwestern
UC Davis/ Irvine
Baylor
Vanderbilt
UT Southwestern
Oklahoma
Texas Tech
(Bolded Top Choices)

Any thoughts...

physicsnerd42

10+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
First MCAT

V-11 P-8 B-9 28Q

Second MCAT

V-11 P-12 B-9 32N (Got a wonderful Genetics Section on the MCAT instead of a Biology section...it was nice:rolleyes:)

GPA Overall 3.8
GPA Sci. 3.83

Finance Major

Spent last year working as a Nurse Tech on Critical Care Cardiac Floor.

Lots of volunteering at hospital and non hospital setting, college athlete...etc. etc.

Mayo
Michigan (U and state)
Colorado
Penn
Pitt
Harvard
Iowa
Albany
Brown
Dartmouth
George Washington
Georgetown
J Hopkins
U Washington
U Houston
Loyola
U of Chicago
Northwestern
UC Davis/ Irvine
Baylor
Vanderbilt
UT Southwestern
Oklahoma
Texas Tech
(Bolded Top Choices)

Any thoughts...
There is no such thing as a safety school when applying to med school. That being said, you should really apply to more "safety-like" schools. Your list is FAR too top-heavy. USNews is over-rated, but you should apply to some more "unranked" med schools.

For instance: just ditch Harvard and Hopkins. If you're not a WWAMI state resident, you literally have a 0% chance of getting into UW. That may also be true at some of the other state schools. I would get a MSAR book and check out of state acceptances at all the other state schools you're applying to.

Edit: You have a very good GPA and a good MCAT score. If you apply to a wide range of schools (less top-heavy), you will likely get in somewhere. Good luck.

Last edited:

Stratego

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2009
Status
Nice job getting the MCAT score up.

Since you're applying to so many top-ranked research institutions, I assume you have at least two years of substantive research experience. Any publications? Also, any leadership experience? You also didn't specify physician shadowing hours.

OP
J

JGreg09

10+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2008
Status
No, I have very little research experience, so little in fact I feel a little silly even putting it on the app. I realize this will hurt me for the big name schools (esp. Harvard, Northwestern, Mich U, etc.) shoud I just go ahead and not apply to those?

How much would no research hurt me at Mayo? That is by far the top choice. I think I have the type of ECs they are looking for there.

Plenty of leadership stuff.

As for physician shadowing, something like 80 hours or so. Working in the hospital really helped with that.

I will definitely go back and add some lower tier schools. And probably take out Harvard, Northwestern and maybe a couple more of the way too high ones.

Stratego

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2009
Status
I agree with removing the long shots.

About 92% of those accepted to Mayo did report research experience. (But 8% did not.)

Doctor Bagel

so cheap and juicy
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2002
from the ministry of information
Status
Attending Physician
Oklahoma won't look at you if you're not a resident or don't have strong ties to the state. Strong ties generally mean family there or you lived there, so being close to OK doesn't count. Also, they expect oos students to have higher stats than in-state students, so your MCAT might be a little on the low end for them. I'm also kind of puzzled from looking at your list why you're turning down your current acceptance. I can't imagine some of the schools there being significantly better than whatever place you're currently accepted to.

ziggydoc

Growing a Heart
10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Sigh, Take your ACCEPTANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and your list is top heavy like many others have said.

What happened to your 37 and I'll re-apply?

physicsnerd42

10+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Sigh, Take your ACCEPTANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Okay, wait a second. You got into UTMB and then decided not to go?

From checking on your other threads, I know you have received this advice, but I find it very unlikely you'll do any better this year (your MCAT is a 32, not a 40). And honestly, I think you're overestimating the importance of the med school you go to. I personally love Dartmouth for a lot of reasons, but I learn the same stuff here that my fiancee is learning at SUNY-Upstate (or that anyone is learning at any MD school in the country). Heck, when my fiancee applied to med school during my first year here, the advice I gave her was, "Go to the cheapest med school you get into because you learn the same crap everywhere. All MD schools in the US range from very good to excellent in terms of what you'll learn." I mean, yeah, it's nice to go to your "dream" school, but it's a hell of a lot better to go to a med school than to drop your acceptance, re-apply and get in nowhere. Even your "dream" school will disappoint you in some ways, so it's not like you'd be moving from a crappy school to a perfect one.

Also, I see you have a relationship thing: your girlfriend would be 1.5 hours away. My fiancee and I go to school a 5 hour drive apart and we still make it work.

If you can, keep the acceptance. If not, good luck to you.

Stratego

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2009
Status
OMG, you got an MD acceptance last season and you're casting it aside! Not a good plan. I'm sure you've read the threads that suggest you'd better have a very good reason when adcomms ask about that. You'll be opening yourself to another year of stressful waiting, possibly to no good purpose.

Jun 1, 2009
Status
Medical Student
You did NOT do your homework if you applied to U of Washington medical school and you're not a resident.

Money down the drain..