Re-applicant for DO-- about to do SMP and I have questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ManicOperation

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So I am a re-applicant and am exclusively applying to DO schools like the last cycle. I received 3 interviews last cycle and it resulted in 3 WLs, and it looks like it'll stay that way barring a miracle.

One of the schools I was waitlisted at, NYITCOM-Arkansas, offered me an SMP to do a Masters in Biomedical Sciences. And after looking into it extensively, they granted admission to all students who perform at a certain threshold, which is what I hope to do. Every student who has done the program so far has received an acceptance. I'm starting the SMP in August.

So I have a few questions:

1.) I'm assuming I have to rewrite my personal statement. To what extent do I have to change it? Rewrite a completely new one or keep the essence of the original? My experiences were still relatively similar from the last cycle to now so it's just a little harder to do.

2.) In what way should I apply? Should I wait for my first semester grades from the SMP to submit my apps or should I just submit the app as soon as I can and submit the grades later?

3.) If a school's secondary has the same prompt as they did last cycle, can I give out the same answers or should I switch that up too?

4.) How do reuse LORs? Should I just use the best ones from last cycle and hopefully get new ones through my SMP?

I'm just finding it hard to do another app as a re-applicant knowing how similar many aspects of my app will be so any additional advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone!

So I am a re-applicant and am exclusively applying to DO schools like the last cycle. I received 3 interviews last cycle and it resulted in 3 WLs, and it looks like it'll stay that way barring a miracle.

One of the schools I was waitlisted at, NYITCOM-Arkansas, offered me an SMP to do a Masters in Biomedical Sciences. And after looking into it extensively, they granted admission to all students who perform at a certain threshold, which is what I hope to do. Every student who has done the program so far has received an acceptance. I'm starting the SMP in August.

So I have a few questions:

1.) I'm assuming I have to rewrite my personal statement. To what extent do I have to change it? Rewrite a completely new one or keep the essence of the original? My experiences were still relatively similar from the last cycle to now so it's just a little harder to do.
Tweak it
2.) In what way should I apply? Should I wait for my first semester grades from the SMP to submit my apps or should I just submit the app as soon as I can and submit the grades later?
I recommend applying after you finish the SMP. You're in a marathon now not a Sprint.
3.) If a school's secondary has the same prompt as they did last cycle, can I give out the same answers or should I switch that up too?
Switch them up because you will have gained new experience since that time
4.) How do reuse LORs? Should I just use the best ones from last cycle and hopefully get new ones through my SMP?
You can reuse them but I strongly recommend getting letters from your SMP faculty as well
I'm just finding it hard to do another app as a re-applicant knowing how similar many aspects of my app will be so any additional advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I recommend applying after you finish the SMP. You're in a marathon now not a Sprint.
The thing is, the program is set up in a way that if I do well enough, they will accept me for next year's class, which means I would have to apply this cycle. And I figure since I am applying this cycle, I might as well apply to other schools as well.

I appreciate all the advice, though. Thanks for taking the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they have it in writing that if you meet a certain threshold, you'll be accepted?

Do they have it in writing that if you meet a certain threshold, you'll be accepted?
It's one of those things where they say it's not a guaranteed acceptance, but the Dean said in the info session that should basically get in if you meet the requirements. And the program director (who was more lax with his language) was saying that it'd be guaranteed and the Dean had to jokingly correct him. Lol. But I triple confirmed with people running the program that everyone who has been in the program so far, has gotten an acceptance. I can understand the skepticism though, I was like that myself.