Re-applicant Letters of Recommendation Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TDKR2814

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am a re-applicant and am on the verge of submitting however I have 3 Letters of Recommendation and am afraid that I don't have enough. I have one from a doctor I shadowed for a summer, a professor I had multiple classes with and a Supervisor for the hospital I volunteered for.

I understand that it might not always be about quantity but I am still a bit worried.

Any advice or tips would help, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Look at your prospective schools' lists of required letters. Each school is different. Many schools require 2 science professor and 1 non-science professor LOR, but it varies.

Hello! I am a re-applicant and am on the verge of submitting however I have 3 Letters of Recommendation and am afraid that I don't have enough. I have one from a doctor I shadowed for a summer, a professor I had multiple classes with and a Supervisor for the hospital I volunteered for.

I understand that it might not always be about quantity but I am still a bit worried.

Any advice or tips would help, thanks!

It's possible those meet requirements somewhere, but they don't meet LOR requirements at any school I'm familiar with. Under the least demanding requirements I've seen, you still need at least two letters from professors -- one science, and one non-science.

as you're in the reapplicant forum, I have to ask: what did you apply with last time? have you had advising at all? unless you have a list of schools where those letters are adequate, I'm going to go on a limb and say there's a high chance your app isn't ready in other aspects as well, if you've managed to get this far without realizing the LOR requirements.

your other post says you studied engineering. If you've taken that many science classes and can only come.up with one science letter, that's going to worry some people. as the other response has noted, a rule of thumb is to have LORs from 2 science profs & 1 non-science to be ready to satisfy the requirements *everywhere*, and then you can tailor what you send to each school to meet it's reqs +/- any optional LORs they'll accept (volunteer supervisors, etc.). At some schools, I know that non-trads who have been working full time may substitute a LOR from their boss in lieu of one science LOR, but I would not try this with a volunteer supervisor letter, or without confirming acceptability with the school.

Last edited: