Re-applicant PS, want to include masters in it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zastrownaut

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am will be a re-applicant and I have applied to a few masters programs last week. I want to include this in my personal statement but I have not heard back yet. I understand how important it is to apply early from experience, and but I feel my personal statement would be more compelling if I mentioned I had been accepted into a master's program to show my dedication to getting into dental school. The programs I have applied to will begin in Fall 2016 and conclude before dental school matriculation in 2017. What do you guys think?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you planning on finishing your master's in one year? Some schools don't like to accept students in the middle of a master's program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you planning on finishing your master's in one year? Some schools don't like to accept students in the middle of a master's program.
Why would it make a difference? Wouldn't they see a reapplicant taking coursework and see it as nothing but a positive?

Why would it make a difference? Wouldn't they see a reapplicant taking coursework and see it as nothing but a positive?
It matters. If you do terrible in a Master's that doesn't really help.

thanks for the reply. yes I am applying to one year programs that will conclude before matriculation next year in 2017

It matters. If you do terrible in a Master's that doesn't really help.
Absolutely. Do poorly in anything it won't help. My question was related to why would it matter if your masters is in progress vs. finished by the time you apply?

Absolutely. Do poorly in anything it won't help. My question was related to why would it matter if your masters is in progress vs. finished by the time you apply?
I won't claim to know the why, I just know their have been cases where schools want an applicant to finish out their program before matriculation.

thanks for the reply. yes I am applying to one year programs that will conclude before matriculation next year in 2017
No problem. That is great then, and yes I would include it in your PS only after you are accepted. I would also update schools upon receiving your first semester (or however your program works) grades.

Reactions: 1 user
No problem. That is great then, and yes I would include it in your PS only after you are accepted. I would also update schools upon receiving your first semester (or however your program works) grades.
yes I was thinking this too. I don't think my PS would be as strong if I said, "I applied to a few masters programs to prepare for the rigors of dental school" as opposed to, "I will be enrolling into _______ program to prepare for the rigors of dental school"

yes I was thinking this too. I don't think my PS would be as strong if I said, "I applied to a few masters programs to prepare for the rigors of dental school" as opposed to, "I will be enrolling into _______ program to prepare for the rigors of dental school"
Of course it would look better to say you're entering a program!

thanks all! I will wait to hear back from my masters programs before reapplying, hopefully it wont take too long haha