Re-applicant thinking about retaking the MCAT in November

Oct 16, 2014
So I have been a lurker for some time now, but I finally decided to make an account and post a thread.

I applied for admission for the class of 2018. Did not get in, let alone an interview invite. I'm applying again now, but I haven't received any interviews again for the second time around and I'm starting to get nervous. My application was complete September 10th, and most of the important secondaries I submitted within 10 days.

Here is my background:
Undergrad: University of Michigan - Biochemistry
Grad School: Wayne State BMS program (finished the program and got a degree)
Michigan resident

cGPA: 3.5
cuGPA: 3.46 cgGPA: 3.68
suGPA: 3.31 sgGPA: 3.75
MCAT (V/P/B): 11/10/10 (31)

My extracurriculars are nothing special. I've done the whole volunteering, shadowing, extracurricular & leadership she-bang. Nothing that really stands out though. My personal statement talks about my life circumstances and dealing with a mother with depression and psychosis, and how that's been a hindrance during my higher education experience. Maybe a red flag, who knows?

Anyhow, here is my predicament. There is a November 7th MCAT test date coming up. I've spent the last 2 years as a tutor working ~30 hours/week, and so my gen chem, orgo, and biology are all up to date when it comes to content. I'm pretty confident in my physics as well, but I haven't tutored anyone in the subject. I am not very confident in my verbal though. That 11 I got on my MCAT I think was a fluke. I was always scoring around 7-9 in practice. On the upside, I was always scoring 11-12 in the PS and BS in practice, so I don't know where the 10's came from.

Should I retake this test? I have time to just do practice exams until November 7th, and hopefully bump my overall score up by even a couple points. Also, would there even be a point in re-taking the test, considering that med schools wouldn't receive my score until December 9th?

I'm just getting a little anxious and desperate, and am wondering what else I should do to lock down an interview?

Also, just wanted to thank anyone in advance who replies with advice. I really appreciate it.

FYI schools I've applied to:
1.) Albany
2.) Central Michigan
3.) Drexel
4.) FIU
5.) GWU
6.) Loyola
7.) Medical College of Wisconsin
8.) MSU
9.) NYMC
10.) OUWB
11.) Penn State
12.) Quinnipiac
13.) Rosalind Franklin
14.) Rush
15.) SUNY - Buffalo
16.) Temple
17.) Commonwealth Medical College
18.) Toledo
19.) Tufts
20.) University of Illinois Chicago
21.) University of Louisville
22.) Michigan
23.) VCU
24.) Wayne State
25.) Western Michigan

ciestar

All grown up! MS4!
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I wouldn't retake a 31. Your main issue seems to be that you're way late as a reapplicant. The key is to apply early (especially this year, apparently).
You've also had time to beef up your ECs but from it sounds like, you didn't. Your MCAT isn't your issue here.

Reactions: bumpbumped

MrLogan13

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
May 16, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Just curious, but why didn't you submit your primary as soon as it opened on June 3?

OP
G
Oct 16, 2014
I spent a good deal of my summer working on my masters thesis. Just wanted to get the grade on my transcript before I applied. My application should have been complete late July, Wayne was just really slow at getting my transcript sent out.

moop

1K Member
Removed
Account on Hold
Dec 15, 2013
I spent a good deal of my summer working on my masters thesis. Just wanted to get the grade on my transcript before I applied. My application should have been complete late July, Wayne was just really slow at getting my transcript sent out.
Well that sucks. That grade is not worth the wait. No one cares about a single grade that much. Good luck with becoming a 3rd cycle applicant with borderline stats.

Your entire app is borderline. More MCAT won't help. Fill out DO app ASAP. Plenty of time left in that cycle.

Reactions: MrLogan13

johnnytest

MS-4
5+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I would not re-take. It's already late as it is. Plus looking at your school list a 31 seems to be on par with their averages. Also, if you applied to your state schools then you should be given preference there.