MD & DO Re applicant, what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woltej1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hard Stats:
cGPA 3.65, sGPA 3.6ish.
MCAT: 27(old)->33(new)

Original EC: Vice pres pre med club(a lot of small volunteer stuff involved with this), 5+ years CNA work, 2+years Special Olympics coaching, 200+ hours shadowing between primary care and orthopedics, 1 year of research ending in an abstract and conference.

After gap year: 1 year of clinical scribing and a publication by revising a scribe book my company publishes. Also started special olympics coaching again after taking a year off.

Members don't see this ad.

You look like a decent candidate to me. Anything that makes you stand out? I would think coaching in the special olympics would... how has that impacted you to reapply? Apply broadly and I can see you being invited for an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many applications? Only 2 MCATs? grade trend? Non medical volunteering? State of Residence? List?
Previous interviews? Feedback regarding previous ap?
I believe I'm a strong DO applicant so I'm not going to be doing 20+apps, maybe like 10 schools i feel like I'd actually want to go to and that I stand a good chance at. Those are my only 2 tests. Grade trend is pretty consistent, slight dip my last semester due to too many projects and work. Special olympics is my major non medical volunteering. Minnesota. I had 1 previous interview out of my first cycle. Most of the feedback mentioned my academics as a downfall, which I'm hoping a big bump in the MCAT will solve as upping my GPA would probably take 2 semesters of classes as I have all As and Bs.

I believe I'm a strong DO applicant so I'm not going to be doing 20+apps, maybe like 10 schools i feel like I'd actually want to go to and that I stand a good chance at. Those are my only 2 tests. Grade trend is pretty consistent, slight dip my last semester due to too many projects and work. Special olympics is my major non medical volunteering. Minnesota. I had 1 previous interview out of my first cycle. Most of the feedback mentioned my academics as a downfall, which I'm hoping a big bump in the MCAT will solve as upping my GPA would probably take 2 semesters of classes as I have all As and Bs.
You'll be fine.

Gyngyn & Catalystik... I want to apologize for my big mouth earlier.

Sorry to momentarily derail this conversation.

Thank you :)

Also aim for schools that will take the newest MCAT score. At the least, also aim for those that avg the tests and these will be OK for you as well.

You look like a decent candidate to me. Anything that makes you stand out? I would think coaching in the special olympics would... how has that impacted you to reapply? Apply broadly and I can see you being invited for an interview.

Also aim for schools that will take the newest MCAT score. At the least, also aim for those that avg the tests and these will be OK for you as well.
What do most schools do? Look at the latest, average or kind of take them into account separately? Also is that information readily available through MSAR or their websites?

It really depends upon the school. My own avgs. I believe that the info is in MSAR, but I haven't checked.

I believe it also depends on who is looking at your application. Everyone is different.

So & so is an excellent candidate, right? CM (committee member) X thinks otherwise upon review..., goodbye applicant. Sadly.

I believe it also depends on who is looking at your application. Everyone is different.

So & so is an excellent candidate, right? CM (committee member) X thinks otherwise upon review..., goodbye applicant. Sadly.
So pretty much each individual looks at the primary and can interpret the MCATs as they see fit and it isn't a school policy on how to treat multiple tests.

Well, there's a difference between the school's official policy, which will determine if you actually meet the minimum criteria for having two MCATs. So a school that avgs, but has a floor of 32, say, will reject you outright. but one that takes the most recent (or best, or best composite score, or averages, and has a floor of 30) will invite you.

After the interviews, then the AdCom members will argue. But in your case, going from a 27 -> 33 is admirable, and there will be plenty of schools that will like that. The key is hunting them down.

This is why I always advise "apply strategically".

Reactions: 1 user
Well, there's a difference between the school's official policy, which will determine if you actually meet the minimum criteria for having two MCATs. So a school that avgs, but has a floor of 32, say, will reject you outright. but one that takes the most recent (or best, or best composite score, or averages, and has a floor of 30) will invite you.

After the interviews, then the AdCom members will argue. But in your case, going from a 27 -> 33 is admirable, and there will be plenty of schools that will like that. The key is hunting them down.

This is why I always advise "apply strategically".

That was my case... going from a poor ugrad cGPA... to a good MS GPA + a good ugrad sGPA + published + clinical exp + research exp + volunteer + a good interview = me being where I am today.

Know your school of interest. Know it/them well.

What do most schools do? Look at the latest, average or kind of take them into account separately? Also is that information readily available through MSAR or their websites?
Since all scores are available for review, they will inevitably be judged by each evaluator based their own experience and opinion.

When schools characterize how they evaluate MCAT scores they are explaining how they report aggregate data more than what happens at screening or in committee. It's similar to saying that testimony stricken from the record in court will not be used in judgement. It is impossible to "un-see" or "un-hear" no matter how hard one may try. This is why there are so many conflicting reports on how multiple MCAT scores affect outcomes. The effects are variable depending on the school as well as the individuals involved in the assessment.

I do agree with @Goro that, 27 to 33 is hard to spin badly.

Last edited by a moderator: