Feb 17, 2010
Status
Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
hello All,

I applied to PT school this year and it looks like I am going to be rejected from every school that I applied to. My gre was horrible so I wont mention the score but my math science GPA was a 2.3 and my overall was a 3.0. I am currently taking two science courses. I have tons of field experience. Im just wondering what I need to do other than pull up my gre score to get into a school. I was waitlisted by NYIT and eventually not accepted and they dont even require GRE. I thought that I had a strong application, and was not aware that the math science played such a huge role in the decision making. My science classes are all A's and B's its math that Im having the problem with. Just wondering if I should retake the same math classes or new math classes to help with my math/sc gpa.. someone pls let me know!!

dissapointed :(

Jan 21, 2010
Status
DPT / OTD
Hi MissPT!

:(Sorry your having such a hard time. I don't know how much advice I can give u, but I will try my best. Depending on the schools that you are considering I would consider taking the math courses that you did poorly in over. If the schools that you are considering average all attemps into calculation, I probably would take different math courses because you gpa will go up more that way. However, if they only factor the highest attempt into your gpa, I would take the math courses that I didn't do well over. Also, try to do well on your gpa. High GRE scores can make up for a low gpa. Hope this helps!

Feb 17, 2010
Status
Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
Thanks! Yeah it really does help! I think that most
Schools if not all take a average of all attempts of the class
Taken.. I'm thinking that I can improve math on GRE
As well as taking a course over and a higher level course
To improve my chances. Just wondering if ppl that
Re apply are likely to be admitted.

Jan 21, 2010
Status
DPT / OTD
Your welcome! I know a lot of individuals who had to reapply because they didn't get in the first time. Make sure this time around you make your application stronger in areas that wasn't strong during this application cycle. Most schools that I know of look for areas of improvement when you reapply. I do know some schools that only factor in the highest grade when you repeat a course. Most schools that I know of have this informaton available on PTCAS or you can contact the schools that you are interested in and ask directly. Do you know which schools you will be applying to this year? :)Good luck! I'm applying this year as well.

Dec 30, 2009
Status
Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
I would really encourage you to talk with the schools you applied to. Maybe wait until the craziest part of the admissions season dies down and then request a meeting at each school.

Let them tell you the specifics of where your application could be improved and how best to proceed. I think you have an opportunity to show serious dedication and perseverance here. Remember schools want to take in students who they know will stick it out and who have the academic skill to succeed - there are still things you can do to show them you have both.

Schools may place emphasis on different courses and may calculate scores differently. When I inquired about how to make my application stronger (prior to applying) I got some real concrete feedback from schools. I met with admissions staff and faculty and I was told which courses might be advisable to retake and what things could make the biggest impact. For some it was the GRE, for others it was stronger grades in anatomy.

Spend your time over the next application cycle wisely. Knock out some big items right away so that you have them to submit on your application and get it in early. Keep volunteering and consider what other experiences you can gain that might add value and set you apart. On your application position this time as a real positive and give examples of how you've improved!

While it may be advantageous to get stellar grades and scores the first time around I was specifically told that re-taking a course to get a better grade shows real dedication and can become a positive aspect of your application!

Make yourself a fan favorite at your top schools. Work with the admissions folks - keep in touch with them about your progress. While the most qualified applicants have the advantage, an extremely enthusiastic and dedicated applicant can make things happen. Think about networking - can you get stronger letters of recommendations - maybe from folks who are connected to the school - faculty, alum, etc.?

I admire your dedication! Best of Luck!

Feb 17, 2010
Status
Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
thank you so much for your reply's. I am very dedicated and that its almost a challenge now. I know that I can do this and Im going to give it all I got! I am currently still working under the supervision of Physical Therapist Every day, which is increasing my hours, In the next week or so I will be traveling to kentucky to be apart of Spinal Cord Awarness with the christopher Reeves foundation, (who I work for). Running a mini thone to promote and support spinal cord awareness. And I will be doing numerous community activities as I stive to get into a program.

As far as classes I perform very well in Science Classes I am currently a tutor for Human Physiology. It is Math that kills me. But I have decided to take this Math thing head on, I will be investing in a Tutor from kaplan, and getting help with math. I have also already contacted 2 schools and recieved really good feedback in regards to what I need to do. And as I suspected they both were impressed with me as a person but they wanted me to bring up the math/science GPA. So that is what I am focusing on doing at this point.

I am giving this application proccess one more try and applying to clarkson Universtiy. I spoke to the PT staff who encouraged me to apply and let me know that they take the entire application into consideration not just the math science and that they also extend a probationary period if they feel like you deserve a shot. So I am going to apply there lastly and if I dont get in there, I will be applying to atleast 5 schools starting this august.