Re-application Suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

La Fiera

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
At this point in the game, with no accepances so far to med school, I am looking at reapplying. Can anyone give suggestions that will really make a difference between my last AMCAS application and this next year's one? I am planning on getting an EMT this summer and then working as one in the fall and spring.
Also, do I have to alter my personal statement completely or would brushing up on it be alright? Do the med schools expect me to have dramatically improved my application from last year?
Anyone who has gotten in on their second or third try, please let me know what you think helped!!
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think anyone can give you a satisfactory answer to this question! We don't know anything about you. Is you GPA too low? MCAT too low? Is you personal statement bad? Do you have any clinical exposure? In any event, I'd guess that med schools are looking for dramatic improvement in the weakest area of your application.

Good luck!

i agree--you provide too little information for any of us to go on. but to answer one of your question, yes, med school *definitely* expect a dramatically different application from the previous one. not to be harsh, but you were rejected for a reason; you need to fix that reason before you will be considered competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I'd agree with the above posters--usually they care about two things: GPA and MCAT. Work on whichever you think was weaker. Unfortunately, health care experience as an EMT is fairly common, and if you're looking to use that as a way to get into med school, I'd strongly suggest you put your energies elsewhere.

If your MCAT is below 30, I'd study hard and try again...

I too was rejected the first time I applied. However, this year I improved my application and was accepted to a number of schools, some of them very highly ranked. I would have to dissagree with the previous poster about becomming an EMT. I did that during the fall semester while I had a job doing research. I would highly recommend becomming an EMT. If not so much for your application then just for the experience. I thought it was the best class i ever took. It also gave me a lot to talk about in my interviews. Along with doing the EMT thing I also took the MCAT again. I don't know what your score is like but mine improved from a 25 to a 32 and I was told by one interviewer that I would most likely be accepted because of that improvement. It turned out I was. Also don't get too disapointed. If you stay motivated then you will eventually get in. I think a lot of schools actually look faveorably on people who took some time off as long as they did something productive.

You should alter your personal statement completely. Even if your personal statement was well written the first time, I've read that med schools will want to see all new essays and signficant changes in your application for them to even consider you. Look at what was wrong with your application this year, and try to fix that. For example, if you already have 4 yrs of research experience, doing research your year off probably won't impress them very much (unless you get some publications out of it). Or in your case, if you already have clinical experience up the wazoo, but no basic science research or no non-medical volunteer work or ECs, that might be something to consider doing too. Sometimes applicants just keep doing what they are well in during their year off when they get rejected, and it's fine to continue doing what you enjoy, but you also need to touch on the things that you were missing in your application that got you rejected in the first place.

My stats are a 28 MCAT, 3.6 overall gpa, 3.3 science. I have tons of clinical experience, and I assisted in a research project (but didn't get my name on anything.) I know that my essay was good because I was complemented on it be a few interviewers, and I won a scholarship because I based the scholarship essay off my personal statement. I really don't want to go through the MCAT again, but who does?

Don't dispair! I am a successful 3rd year student now, High Passing most of my clinical rotations, passed the boards with room to spare, feeling confident I WILL be an awesome doctor someday...very different fom how I felt when I was in your shoes 5 years ago.

I had 27MCAT, 3.4GPA, 3.0science GPA, so only applying to 4 schools (not smart), I got 3 wait lists, but not one admission. Second try I got in early decision. You can make it.

I generally think they like to see re-applicants b/c it means you have a more firm committment than just the person who tried once b/c they were good at science and don't know what else to do after college (which is actually quite a few who DO get into med school first try and later wonder, why the hell am I doing this?)

My advice is to first off, apply to LOTS of programs, as most students who got in the first try did that - it's just a lottery with lots of great applicants and the more chances you take, the more likely you'll get one.

Second, the EMT thing IS good b/c if nothing else it provides you with experience which WILL help you in med school. I learn much more from patients than books, and having patients in your memory to relate book-learning to will help you a lot in retaining info in med school. Plus, I think it does help your application to prove you know what healthcare is about and still want to do it. I don't see how that can hurt you.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by tulanestudent:
•Don't dispair! I am a successful 3rd year student now, High Passing most of my clinical rotations, passed the boards with room to spare, feeling confident I WILL be an awesome doctor someday...very different fom how I felt when I was in your shoes 5 years ago.

I had 27MCAT, 3.4GPA, 3.0science GPA, so only applying to 4 schools (not smart), I got 3 wait lists, but not one admission. Second try I got in early decision. You can make it.

I generally think they like to see re-applicants b/c it means you have a more firm committment than just the person who tried once b/c they were good at science and don't know what else to do after college (which is actually quite a few who DO get into med school first try and later wonder, why the hell am I doing this?)

My advice is to first off, apply to LOTS of programs, as most students who got in the first try did that - it's just a lottery with lots of great applicants and the more chances you take, the more likely you'll get one.

Second, the EMT thing IS good b/c if nothing else it provides you with experience which WILL help you in med school. I learn much more from patients than books, and having patients in your memory to relate book-learning to will help you a lot in retaining info in med school. Plus, I think it does help your application to prove you know what healthcare is about and still want to do it. I don't see how that can hurt you.•••••Do you mind sharing what types of things you did to improve your app? Did you retake the MCAT, etc.? Thanks!

Are you interested in the Osteopathic route? Might be another option to consider.

I would suggest talking to someone on the adcom from the school(s) that rejected you, and they should be able to tell you your weaknesses. I did this, and the dean said my personal statement was great and there was no need to change it. If you didn't get interviewed it could have been your MCAT maybe (which isn't very low, but could be too low to be competitive at some schools). I don't think it is necessary to write new essays; if someone from the school will review your app with you and says the essays are fine, I wouldn't change them much. If you got interviewed, you are basically fine on paper. good luck!!

oh yeah, and I did get in this yr, without reworking my personal statement. (although the Practice Vision was new, and gave me more opportunity to sell myself). I did get more medical experience though, through volunteering and working in a free health clinic.

If you do take the EMT class your goal should be patient contact and getting some experience. Otherwies you're just taking another class. Yes during class you'll have to put in some ED time and have some patient contact, but the majority of contact comes later. The opportunities vary depending on where you live, but if it's an option look into a local volunteer or P/T FD. Some ED's also hire EMT's as techs. And there are usually private ambulance co's. If however you live in an area with strictly full time FD's and little EMT opportunity in ED's you may want to obtain patient contact through another route. If after all that it's still an option I highly recommend it.

Green 912
EMT-A: 4 years
EMT-I: 2 years
Paramedic: 7 years
Dr: someday!

You should only re-take your MCAT if you are sure you will score better. I have a friend who retook it and ended up scoring worse...not a good thing.

Did you take a review course? If not, I would suggest the Kaplan review. It costs a pretty penny, but I took it and it improved my scores significantly--I ended up with a 35, after doing ~25 on my diagnostic.

Also, you might consider taking some additional undergraduate science classes and working hard to raise your science GPA a few points. You already have the liberal arts grades you need (and it sounds like this is reflected quite well in your personal essay--congrats on the scholarship!), but higher science grades would be a very good thing. Med schools like to see lots of A's in sciences. Also, you could pick classes that would help you in your MCAT and in medical school later on (I'd suggest molecular bio, genetics, or microbiology, if you've not taken these yet).

Also, if you have "tons" of clinical experience, I might try to increase my research experience instead of becoming an EMT. It sounds like you worked on one project, but a year in a lab might not be a bad idea.

Just some thoughts. :)

Good luck!

ps...I have a friend who took the MCAT __FOUR__ times...and this friend ended up in a top-ten school. So it can be done!

I agree with most of the above posters about strengthening your academic arena by either retaking the MCAT or take more science classes to improve your science GPA, or both. As far as the PS is concerned, you can definitely recycle your old essay if you feel it's good enough. Have your friends and most importantly your premed advisor proofread your essay and get as much feedback as possible. Very very important. Pick a right group of friends to proofread your essay, however...