(re-)apply only to schools that you did not apply...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPsychiatry

Go Angels!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
the first time, if u don't get in this time? What do u guys think? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

the first time, if u don't get in this time? What do u guys think? thanks

It's OK to reapply to the same schools. It's better to do so if there has also been some change in your qualifications (new grades, new and higher mcat, recent activities). Many reapplicants get into a school from which they did not even get an interview the first time around.

I agree with Ana! But there has to be a significant change in your application since the last time you applied. The first time I applied I didn't get a single interview. This application cycle I applied to bascially the same schools and received 7 interviews (5 acceptances and 2 interviews I turned down). Good Luck!!!!!:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to apply to a mixture of both...I'm getting rid of some reach schools, along with maybe adding a bunch that I may have overlooked. :D

Got an MSAR this time around.

I'm going to apply to a mixture of both...I'm getting rid of some reach schools, along with maybe adding a bunch that I may have overlooked. :D

Got an MSAR this time around.
ditto, me too. Good Luck this cycle! :luck:

I'm going to apply to almost all of the same schools, since I did a lot of research on schools the first time around and I still want to go there for the same reasons, but I'll also add to my list. More schools = better chances.

What constitutes a significant change? I've been working full time this year doing bench research and taking a few extra courses like phlebotomy. I'm tempted to quit my job and do a bunch of volunteering at this point.

If I got interviews at lots of schools but then just waitlists, should I call and ask what happened or just reapply?

I agree with Ana! But there has to be a significant change in your application since the last time you applied. The first time I applied I didn't get a single interview. This application cycle I applied to bascially the same schools and received 7 interviews (5 acceptances and 2 interviews I turned down). Good Luck!!!!!:luck:

mind sharing with us what sort of changes you made?

I applied to medical school in 2001 and reapplied last summer. I had a 3.21 undergrad GPA (science 3.1). I just finished my PhD in Biomedical Science (Developmental Cardiology) with a GPA of 3.96. I was told by several medical school admissions directors that my grad GPA helped me a great deal. I also published three papers (2 first author, 1 second author) in grad school and I served on several graduate school committees. I really think you should concentrate on contacting the admissions offices at a few of the medical schools you'd like to attend. I called the admissions offices and visited the medical schools that I wanted to attend and I believe it really helped me out. Also, don't get hung up on the numbers..... I know its hard!!! But, try to engage in unique experiences. I know I want to practice academic medicine so I conducted research, taught at a local community college, and volunteered at a local clinic simultaneously. I say all that to say this.... Call, get your name out there, and really engage in unique experiences (hopefully things that you like to do) that will show your desire to become a physician. Just wanted to share my story with you to give you inspiration and hope!!!! I hope everything works out for you!!!!!