Re-apply to Dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mn001

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I want to know what I can do to be a competitive candidate for the 2012 application year.

I graduated in 2007 and applied in 2009. I got some secondary applications, but no interviews. I did apply late (august) and took DATs late too (october 2009). After getting married, working, and taking care of family obligations, I decided to apply again this year. In 2010 I took anatomy to keep up with the science class. My DAT AA was 17 (the scores were mostly 17 and 18, one 20 in RC). Overall GPA was 3.1. I have hundreds of hours in shadowing, volunteering, and researching (combined) in dentistry. 5 letters of rec (1 current dentist, 1 current science).

What should I do to be a competitive candidate (besides applying early)? As in should I retake the DATs, even though it is valid for this year?

Please help!

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I want to know what I can do to be a competitive candidate for the 2012 application year.

I graduated in 2007 and applied in 2009. I got some secondary applications, but no interviews. I did apply late (august) and took DATs late too (october 2009). After getting married, working, and taking care of family obligations, I decided to apply again this year. In 2010 I took anatomy to keep up with the science class. My DAT AA was 17 (the scores were mostly 17 and 18, one 20 in RC). Overall GPA was 3.1. I have hundreds of hours in shadowing, volunteering, and researching (combined) in dentistry. 5 letters of rec (1 current dentist, 1 current science).

What should I do to be a competitive candidate (besides applying early)? As in should I retake the DATs, even though it is valid for this year?

Please help!

Thank you!!

I would retake the DAT. A 17AA isn't as competitive as it used to be. The current average is around a 19AA. Retake for sure and try to take more science classes in either a Masters or post bac program. Your GPA is a tad low.

My DAT AA was 17 (the scores were mostly 17 and 18, one 20 in RC). Overall GPA was 3.1. I have hundreds of hours in shadowing, volunteering, and researching (combined) in dentistry. 5 letters of rec (1 current dentist, 1 current science).What should I do to be a competitive candidate (besides applying early)? As in should I retake the DATs, even though it is valid for this year?Please help! Thank you!!

Applying early is not going to make your gpa and DAT scores look better. You could start by concentrating on improving your gpa and re take the DAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Retake the DAT for sure! 17 isn't competitive at all... Your GPA is too low as well... Since you're out of school, not sure you can do much about that though. Definitely take DAT again and hope for a killer score! That's your biggest hope... But don't get too excited, a competitive GPA would be 3.5 and up. Good luck...

Since you're out of school I would concentrate on scoring as high as possible on the DAT. I would say get a minimum score of 20 and then a bunch of doors will open up for you. High PAT score on the DAT will look really good to some schools. You'll also want some really unique extra curricular activities, a dynamite personal statement, and good interviewing skills. Think about learning a foreign language, working/volunteering with a non profit dental organization, leadership skills, volunteering in a research lab, creating something that helps out a ton of people, developing unique manual dexterity skills, networking with tons of different dentists, volunteering at a nearby dental school and getting insight that way.....etc. You don't have to do all of these of course, but you have to realize that there are a bunch of applicants with a 3.5 GPA and a 20 DAT. Some of these applicants don't get in. You need to compensate and find a way to make your app compete with them.

The whole process is kind of like walking on thin ice but it weeds out those who don't really want it. It's up to you, there are a ton of ways to improve. Make your app as perfect as possible and when/if a school bites put everything you have into the interview.

Please help!

Thank you!!

Like everyone else said.... retake the DAT and aim for 19+ on all sections (the avg for matriculated students is 19). Work on the GPA and get it as high as you can by taking some upper level science courses (3.3+ can help you). And of course, apply early as possible.

Thank you everyone!!! I greatly appreciate your input. Is it too late to study for retaking the DAT and applying in the 2012-2013 cycle? Maybe even take a science class to improve my science gpa...

Thank you everyone!!! I greatly appreciate your input. Is it too late to study for retaking the DAT and applying in the 2012-2013 cycle? Maybe even take a science class to improve my science gpa...

No. Begin studying very soon. I recommend cliff's, the kaplan book (not the class), Crack DAT PAT, and the DAT Destroyer series. Look at the DAT discussions forum on this site for other options.

Wow. I didn't realize until just now that DAT season was coming around again. This process is insane. I feel like I just got my plans in order and the next cycle is already beginning....

Ur GPA is low, and ur Dat doesn't compensate 4 it. Retake dat. Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Try for at least a 19 on DAT, preferably 20. Enjoy your time off and do something to make you application shine. Good luck, if you want it bad enough it will happen.

I think you might need to decide what this means to you. Are you willing to go back to school full time for a year or two?

You can definitely improve your application by retaking the DAT - a 17AA is basically too low on its own, and you probably have at least a couple 16's in there, or worse. Bringing that up to a 19AA would be great. But your odds are pretty much going to be slim unless you take some significant classes to raise your gpa/upward trend/etc. What's your science gpa?

As many of the previous posters said, the average DAT score for those who have matriculated into dental school has been steadily on the rise.
http://www.ada.org/sections/educationAndCareers/pdfs/dat_users_manual.pdf

If you could, you should take some classes to bump up the GPA a little bit.

As many before me have also mentioned, a retake of the DAT would make you much more competitive.
I made of list of some of the best prep materials out there:
http://acedat.blogspot.com/p/dat-prep-materials.html
It is still incomplete though. KBB is good for jogging your memory of the subjects,
For bio, many recommend Cliffs AP BIo, Campbells, and/or Schaums.
Crack DAT reading is also pretty decent for RC review (doesn't look like you need it though).

Def would NOT recommend Barron's DAT prep book (although their AP BIO is ok).

I also made a list of DAT breakdowns that could be helpful
http://acedat.blogspot.com/p/dat-breakdowns.html

It's not too late to apply this cycle. AADSAS opens June 1st I believe, so I'd shoot to have your DAT done by than!

Best wishes man!

Pretty much a ditto for retaking your DAT. Spend this whole year full out studying for your DAT and try your best to bring it to at 20+ and you'll be in good light!

I am re-applying to dental schools for fall of 2013 and need some advice from those who went through this. My main question is my personal statement...would you write a whole new statement, submit the same one, some minor editing? I feel pretty good about it now, but the more I think about it the more I am unsure.
Thanks

I am re-applying to dental schools for fall of 2013 and need some advice from those who went through this. My main question is my personal statement...would you write a whole new statement, submit the same one, some minor editing? I feel pretty good about it now, but the more I think about it the more I am unsure.
Thanks

I'm not a reapplicant- but why don't you have a few new people take a look at your ps? People like dentists, dental advisors, etc. See what they have to say about it. Maybe do some minor editing to update it to show what you've done to make yourself more competitive as a reapplicant..