Re-applying to Grad Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psych12345

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Not having been accepted into a program this year, I am taking yet another year off to work, and then reapplying to grad schools. What is the word on reapplying to places you've previously been rejected from?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

Not having been accepted into a program this year, I am taking yet another year off to work, and then reapplying to grad schools. What is the word on reapplying to places you've previously been rejected from?

Thanks!

My second time around, I applied to about half of the same schools and another half were new schools. The ones that I chose to apply to for the second time were ones that I knew I had a solid match with and that I had interviewed with the previous year. I e-mailed all of the professors beforehand to reassert my interest in their research and to see if they thought it would be worthwhile to apply a second time. They were all very positive about my applying. I received interview invites at the vast majority and was accepted to my top choice the second year of applying at the school.
Bottom line: I think applying to the same place twice is fine as long as it is a great match and you get positive feedback from the POI (no use using time/money again if the prof doesn't think it is a great fit).

Definitely go for it, especially if your application has improved. I did this, and actually got into three clinical psych Ph.D. programs I'd been rejected from in previous years (including two I'd been rejected from twice!).

Hi all,

Thanks!

Like the others, I also reapplied to some of the same schools. Some were less interested, some more, but I was glad I did.