re-applying

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by wiggy, Mar 10, 1999.

1. wiggy

wiggy Member

hi everyone,

anyone out there re-applying this year? I'm stuck on two hold categories, and won't know anything until at least after May. I haven't planned any contingencies, and my file's not much different than it was when I applied last year other than some new courses on my transcript. Any advice?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ReneeWB

ReneeWB Senior Member

If you don't get accepted on one of the holds, call the schools and find out what you can do to improve your app. Most schools will be willing to tell you. And make sure to get your app in as early as possible -- June 1st if you can. Good luck to you. I know how disappointing it can be to have to reapply. I had to, but I made it in on the second go round.

4. justwannabadoc

justwannabadoc Senior Member

What schools are you on hold at? If one of them is KCOM, let me know,

5. DJ

DJ Member

Wiggy,
    Have you interviewed at those two schools? What are they?

6. wiggy

wiggy Member

Thanks ReneeWB, for your advice. I hope the schools are more willing to discuss my file later on. I can't get any info out of the admissions committees now. Did you reapply the following year, or did you take some time off? What did you do during that time? I'm kicking myself now because I haven't done anything during my senior year that was worth mentioning, but I'm looking into things now.

To justwannabadoc and DJ, I applied to both osteopathic and allopathic medical schools. I didn't hear anything from the osteopathic medical school (MSUCOM) after sending my secondary application, and I'm currently on hold at CWRU and Tulane, after interviewing there.

I wish to thank everyone who has responded to my posts with sincerity, and I wish all of you headed to, or currently in medical school, the best of luck in your careers. I hope to call you all colleagues someday.

[This message has been edited by wiggy (edited 03-11-99).]

7. ReneeWB

ReneeWB Senior Member

Yes, I am sure the admission committees will be willing to talk with you after they have made a final decision about your application. At this point, they are pretty closed mouth. I experienced the same thing.

You asked what I did in the meantime. I applied the first time my junior year. In the interim I had a baby (my 3rd) and finished out my bachelor's degree. I graduated last May. I retook the MCAT as the first time I was 7 months pregnant and did not do as well as I could have. I scored better the second time. I had my application in early the second time around (about June 15th). I only applied to one school as my entire family was moving due to a job change for my husband. The school I applied to (UNE) was the closest DO school to me (we live in Southern Vermont now). I got an interview and was accepted, so I start in August. When I finally got accepted, it was a glorious feeling. I think the fact that I persevered after my first year of failing to gain acceptance only helped me. Not only was I more determined, but this showed to the admissions committee when I interviewed.

Good luck to you!

Renee

8. DJ

DJ Member

Wiggy,
    Since you've already had interviews at CWRU and Tulane, you definitely have a good shot at those two schools. I'm still waiting for my first interview at one of the 4 osteo schools that I've applied to. I received my secondaries pretty late(mid Dec.) because of screw up by ACOMAS people. If I don't get in this year, I'll definitely apply June 1 for next year.
    Good luck,
    DJ