? Re: California residency...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Highclimber

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who is a CA resident who just graduated from college and took a job doing research for the next two years in MA (with the intent to apply for 2008)... They've maintained all banks accounts, driver's license and registration in CA... Are they stil considered a CA resident despite having a job elsewhere?

Members don't see this ad.

Highclimber said:
I have a friend who is a CA resident who just graduated from college and took a job doing research for the next two years in MA (with the intent to apply for 2008)... They've maintained all banks accounts, driver's license and registration in CA... Are they stil considered a CA resident despite having a job elsewhere?

I've heard you have to be in MA for five years to gain residency there. This is kind of a toss up.

Highclimber said:

Your friend should continue all that he/she is doing above and also pay CA taxes and also maintain her primary address in CA (I'm assuming her family is still living there?). I'm in the same situation, but applying for 2007, and I've been told by the CA schools that I should be fine as long I pay CA taxes, maintain CA primary address, maintain CA bank accounts, register to vote in CA, have CA driver's license. If your friend wants to make sure though, he/she can always call or email the school to ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had to prove CA residency to UCSD and I also had to show that I was in CA when college was not in session by providing bank statements showing where I withdrew money. They also request plane tickets from vacation time, if applicable, to show that you return when school is not in session. And they asked for magazine subscriptions sent to my CA address and proof of doing business with CA merchants.

In the end it's a case-by-case process to determine intent, which is quite frustrating. The school administration was unable to guarantee anything because the person who decides is not part of the medical school. It worked out though, and it worked out everyone I know, at worst, by the end of the first year.

lord_jeebus said:
I had to prove CA residency to UCSD and I also had to show that I was in CA when college was not in session by providing bank statements showing where I withdrew money. They also request plane tickets from vacation time, if applicable, to show that you return when school is not in session. And they asked for magazine subscriptions sent to my CA address and proof of doing business with CA merchants.

In the end it's a case-by-case process to determine intent, which is quite frustrating. The school administration was unable to guarantee anything because the person who decides is not part of the medical school. It worked out though, and it worked out everyone I know, at worst, by the end of the first year.

:eek: